INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: how to undo the "shuffle" button (it appears to be permanent)  (Read 1069 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe

I have the unfortunate tendency to slowly double click the "unlock" button.  If you do that, the next up button -"shuffle"- gets clicked and my wonderfully arranged playlist gets shuffled and it seems to be permanent.  The undo command doesn't undo this action.  There is an "update order" button next to "shuffle", but the shuffle button appears to already permanently shuffle my playlist (when I exit and bring up the playlist again, the order has changed) and the "update" doesn't seem to do anything different.  What am I doing wrong or am I imagining things
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question: how to undo the "shuffle" button (it appears to be permanent)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:49:51 am »

Try restoring a backup.  File > Library ...

jack wallstreet

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 11:02:29 am »

Thanks Jim,  I will consider doing that in some cases.  Unfortunately, usually when I make that mistake, I am in the process of editing a bunch of playlists and my backups aren't always current (lots of edits in a short time).   

I'd like to make a minor "improvement" suggestion that would fix this for me.  Flip the location of the "Update order" and "shuffle" buttons.   If you click through the "Unlock" button, the underneath button would then be the "update order" button which, since nothing has been edited yet, wouldn't change anything if it were accidentally clicked.  How about that?
John

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 02:30:53 pm »

Why are you slowly double clicking the unlock button when it responds instantly to a single click? However I take your point that a reset shuffle option would be very useful.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 05:42:03 pm »

Why are you slowly double clicking the unlock button when it responds instantly to a single click? However I take your point that a reset shuffle option would be very useful.

Good question.  I am working with a split view and if focus isn't on the playlist panel, you have to click twice.  Once to change focus and the second to activate the unlock button.  To save time, the first click is on the unlock button, although I know it can be anywhere.  However, if it turns out I never changed focus, the double click then shuffles.  So an unshuffle button is nice (but may be difficult to implement).  It may be easier to just swap the unlock and the update buttons since update can do anything itself unless the order is first changed.
John

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 05:47:41 pm »

So the solution is to click in the view you want anywhere but a button and then single click the button. I would still like to see  an unshuffle button though.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 06:14:58 pm »

If you haven't edited the playlist yet, since you are only just trying to unlock it, then there will be a copy of it in a recent backup. It would be good practice to back up the Library immediately before doing lots of work on it, and then you would have what you need. After such an error, just backup the current Library, restore the Library from immediately before starting work, Export the Playlist, restore the backup you just made, then import the Playlist. Done. You have the Playlist back from immediately before you started work.

But if you have already done lots of editing of playlist, the desired sequence doesn't exist anywhere, not even in a backup. So as swiv3d says, the best solution is simply to be more careful.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jack wallstreet

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 09:38:45 pm »

Yes, I think being more careful (and changing my work flow a bit) is what is needed. 
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up