INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV controls  (Read 1664 times)

jwsadauskas

• Recent member
TV controls
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:13:28 pm »

Been using JRiver for many years for my music library.  Think it's great for that.  I just switched from Windows Media Center to JRiver for my HTPC.  So far it seems an OK choice but I'm still getting through the learning curve.  Hence a couple of questions:

1.   When watching live TV, The <<  and >> controls on the fly down panel look just like fast forward and rewind, but for me it changes channels.  Can I change that behavior?

2.  Similarly on my windows remote there are |<<  and >>| buttons that in WMC skip forward and back in time.  In JRiver they change channels.   Can I change that behavior?

3.  Also similarly, using J-remote, the << >> controls change channels for me.  They are positioned as if they should affect something in the time dimension.  Is that what << and  >>  are supposed to mean in JRiver, or am I doing something wrong?

4.  When configuring a recording, the menu says hit Enter or OK.  Is there supposed to be an OK on that menu to click on?   Or is the only option to use a different input device than a mouse?

5.  Where are the TV controls on any of the remote control apps (JRemote or Panel)?  Am I just overlooking TV controls?  Or are they designed to be of limited for TV watchers.

6.  The dense normal interface is fine for listening to music and superb for complex configuration.  It's awful for watching TV.  Theater mode is obviously what I'm after.  How do I configure JRiver so the TV watching experience is as elegant as Windows Media Center?   Is there a WMC skin or plug-in to emulate WMC?

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV controls
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 11:58:57 am »

In most places in MC, >>| and |<< keys are for switching tracks or switching channels.  I am not sure about Panel or JRemote.  Probably they take the shape of >> and <<. 

For skipping forward/backward, use the Left and Right keys (on keyboard or remote control - among that group of four keys with triangle shapes).

Yeah, Panel is still being worked on, and it's still very limited in terms of playing live TV.

Regarding question 4, I suppose you see "Enter/OK" when configuring TV recording in Theater View.  It refers to remote control buttons.  Usually on remote controls you see OK button, and that is what it refers to.  On keyboard, on the other hand, it is the Enter key.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jwsadauskas

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:07:42 pm »

Thanks for the response!

In most places in MC, >>| and |<< keys are for switching tracks or switching channels.  I am not sure about Panel or JRemote.  Probably they take the shape of >> and <<. 

For skipping forward/backward, use the Left and Right keys (on keyboard or remote control - among that group of four keys with triangle shapes).

When using a mouse on on the Flydown panel, while watching live (or recorded) TV (A mouse is how you get the flydown controls to appear),  what do I use to skip forward or back?   In that flydown the available controls are <<  ||  []  >>.  To me, that cluster looks like VCR controls: Rewind, Pause, Stop, Fast Forward; all affecting time domain playback of the current program.  If the design intent of <<  and >> in that context is change channels (and if I can't configure that behavior), I guess I'll get used to it.  It's different than any other device or application on the planet, but I'll get used to it.  (After I do, I may wonder why >> or >>| on my DVD player doesn't switch movies ;) )

Yeah, Panel is still being worked on, and it's still very limited in terms of playing live TV.

I have not yet found a way to use Panel to launch live TV;  only recorded shows.  Am I missing something?
        And in JRemote,  I can change channels, but not program recordings.
        For watching TV, both JRemote and Panel, while pretty cool ideas, are much less functional that the hardware remote; enough so, that I have totally quit using them.

Regarding question 4, I suppose you see "Enter/OK" when configuring TV recording in Theater View.  It refers to remote control buttons.  Usually on remote controls you see OK button, and that is what it refers to.  On keyboard, on the other hand, it is the Enter key.

A feature request then:  When a menu that can be navigated with a mouse indicates the user should hit OK/Enter,  provide a place to click with the mouse that provides that functionality. (configuring a recording is one example I am aware of)

Using JRiver as a HTPC for watching TV, I tend to use the remote as the primary user input device, reverting to the mouse only as a last resort when the remote functionality is inadequate to the task.    It's a challenge when the buttons on the Windows remote have different behavior than WMC. (Whose UI is by far - orders of magnitude - better than any competing HTPC software I have tried)  In WMC,  >>| skips forward 30 seconds; about a commercial's worth.  |<< skips back 5 seconds, in case you overshot.  Perfect for watching TV - a couple of hits on |<< gives you an instant replay.  I already have dedicated change channel buttons on the remote.  I don't need |<< and >>| to change channels, too.   Forward and back one track on music is perfect; On video, increment forward and back in time would be my preference.  Maybe this is another feature request. (i'd be OK with them being configurable)

Thanks again!  JohnS

jwsadauskas

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:25:35 pm »

I have used JRiver for 5 years for my music library.  It's great for that!  I love the CD ripping automation.   And the sound quality is superb.

Just started using it for my HTPC.  And only because I was forced to use Windows 10 on a newish PC and Windows Media Center quit working after a recent update.  Windows Media Center has (had) by far the best theater mode UI (it only had theater mode).  Orders of magnitude better than anything else.  Jury is still out on whether JRiver will replace WMC or whether I need to try harder to put Windows 7 on my newish PC.   |<< and >>| on my remote now changing channels instead of moving in the time domain like every other app and device on the planet may be a deal breaker.

Did I mention that JRiver is fabulous for music playback?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 10:21:32 pm »

Thanks for the response!

When using a mouse on on the Flydown panel, while watching live (or recorded) TV (A mouse is how you get the flydown controls to appear),  what do I use to skip forward or back?   In that flydown the available controls are <<  ||  []  >>.  To me, that cluster looks like VCR controls: Rewind, Pause, Stop, Fast Forward; all affecting time domain playback of the current program.  If the design intent of <<  and >> in that context is change channels (and if I can't configure that behavior), I guess I'll get used to it.  It's different than any other device or application on the planet, but I'll get used to it.  (After I do, I may wonder why >> or >>| on my DVD player doesn't switch movies ;) )

Now I see what you mean by flydown panel.  There are no controls for skip forward or backward there.  If you insist on using the mouse to change playback position, you can click on the progress bar.  Obviously that gives you very inaccurate results.  The best way to do skipping is to use Left/Right either on keyboard or on remote control.

I have not yet found a way to use Panel to launch live TV;  only recorded shows.  Am I missing something?

For watching TV, both JRemote and Panel, while pretty cool ideas, are much less functional that the hardware remote; enough so, that I have totally quit using them.

No you are not missing anything.  When I said "limited", I meant "none".

A feature request then:  When a menu that can be navigated with a mouse indicates the user should hit OK/Enter,  provide a place to click with the mouse that provides that functionality. (configuring a recording is one example I am aware of)

In that particular case, "select any setting and press Enter/OK" means, if you use keyboard or remote control, move the cursor up or down to select, then press Enter/OK to activate.  If you use mouse, just point to a setting and click on it.

Using JRiver as a HTPC for watching TV, I tend to use the remote as the primary user input device, reverting to the mouse only as a last resort when the remote functionality is inadequate to the task.    It's a challenge when the buttons on the Windows remote have different behavior than WMC. (Whose UI is by far - orders of magnitude - better than any competing HTPC software I have tried)  In WMC,  >>| skips forward 30 seconds; about a commercial's worth.  |<< skips back 5 seconds, in case you overshot.  Perfect for watching TV - a couple of hits on |<< gives you an instant replay.  I already have dedicated change channel buttons on the remote.  I don't need |<< and >>| to change channels, too.   Forward and back one track on music is perfect; On video, increment forward and back in time would be my preference.  Maybe this is another feature request. (i'd be OK with them being configurable)

I know it does take some getting used to because our key assignment is different from WMC.  The functionality is there, and indeed the remote control is the best tool for Theater View.  By the way, our Skip forward/backward (using RIGHT or LEFT key) behavior defaults to 30 seconds forward, 10 second backward, almost identical to what you are used to, and it is totally user configurable (you can make backward jump 5 seconds since that is what you are used to).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 11:26:41 pm »

Okay, without meaning to be rude, could you stop comparing MC to WMC? MC isn't supposed to work like WMC and isn't supposed to emulate it. MC has a learning curve. It is different. Please be patient and learn how to use it. I found it just as usable as WMC when I started using it back in 2013, and it has become much better for TV since then.

Been using JRiver for many years for my music library.  Think it's great for that.  I just switched from Windows Media Center to JRiver for my HTPC.  So far it seems an OK choice but I'm still getting through the learning curve.  Hence a couple of questions:

1.   When watching live TV, The <<  and >> controls on the fly down panel look just like fast forward and rewind, but for me it changes channels.  Can I change that behavior?

No, you can't change the behaviour. The actual buttons on the fly down menu are |<<, ||, , and >>|. These have the functions of Previous or Rewind (hold for rewind, as per tooltip pop up help), Pause, Stop, and Next or Fast Forward (hold for fast forward, as per tooltip pop up help).

By the way, on any remote control I have ever used there is a big difference between |<< & >>| and << & >>, although sometimes they function the same, in certain situations.

I have never found the |<< or >>| buttons on the fly down panel particularly useful, especially the |<< button because it is "unreliable", in the sense that the function changes depending on a few factors, but this is what they do when playing Video and TV.

|<< click it to go to the beginning of the video or Time Shift buffer if watching TV. A double click to go to the previous item in Playing Now.  If you selected "Play All" when displaying the episodes in a Season of a Series, then all episodes are added to Playing Now. In that case, double-clicking the |<< button will go to the previous episode in the Playing Now list, unless you are already on the first item, in which case it does nothing.
For TV, when you start playback of a channel, the channel list that you have set up, in the order you have configured, is added to Playing Now. So a double click takes you back to the previous channel in the channel list. In practice I find that a triple click is often required in this instance.

|<< press and hold to Rewind to an earlier point in a video or Time-Shifted TV. The video isn't played in Rewind, but you can see the progress bar moves back in time, and release the button at the correct time. Personally, I prefer to just click on the progress bar to using this method.

|| click on it to pause playback. The icon will change to the Play button. Click again to restart playback, of either video or TV (which is just video in the Time Shift buffer at this stage).

click to stop playback. If you click the Play button again after this, MC will play what is currently selected in Playing Now. Learn about Playing Now and how it works. It is an important aspect of MC.

>>| click to go to the next item in the Playing Now list. If there are no more items in the Playing Now list, does nothing. If you are playing a TV channel, all channels have been added to the Playing Now list, so MC goes to the next channel in your custom list.

>>| click and hold to Fast Forward to a later point in a video or Time-Shifted TV. The video isn't played in Fast Forward, but you can see the progress bar moves forward in time, and release the button at the correct time. Personally, I prefer to just click on the progress bar to using this method.

BTW, try the Scroll Wheel on the mouse while watching, both while hovering over the fly down menu (volume change)and over the vide itself (jumps forward and back).

2.  Similarly on my windows remote there are |<<  and >>| buttons that in WMC skip forward and back in time.  In JRiver they change channels.   Can I change that behavior?

No, you can't change the behaviour. See my comment above about the Scroll Wheel, and also below about the Left and Right Arrows. The |<< and >>| buttons on an MCE (WMC) Infrared Remote work pretty much like my descriptions above, I think. I don't use them except in DVD playback, because I don't need to use them. MC uses other controls.

3.  Also similarly, using J-remote, the << >> controls change channels for me.  They are positioned as if they should affect something in the time dimension.  Is that what << and  >>  are supposed to mean in JRiver, or am I doing something wrong?

I don't have or use JRemote, so cant' comment, other than to say are you sure that they are the << and >> buttons, and not the |<< and >>| buttons? In which case, as above.

4.  When configuring a recording, the menu says hit Enter or OK.  Is there supposed to be an OK on that menu to click on?   Or is the only option to use a different input device than a mouse?

When configurng a recording in Theatre View, if you see the heading "Select any setting or press Enter/OK to edit", just click on the item you want to use. That is exactly the same as using Enter or OK.

5.  Where are the TV controls on any of the remote control apps (JRemote or Panel)?  Am I just overlooking TV controls?  Or are they designed to be of limited for TV watchers.

I don't think JRemote has TV controls, though I'm not sure. It may have the five basic control keys available for all MC navigation; Left, Right, Up, Down, and OK. You can do "everything" in Theatre View using those five buttons. Panel does not have the same functionality. Gizmo and MO 4Media do have Theatre View remote control functionality. See this and following posts: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,117811.msg815530.html#msg815530

6.  The dense normal interface is fine for listening to music and superb for complex configuration.  It's awful for watching TV.  Theater mode is obviously what I'm after.  How do I configure JRiver so the TV watching experience is as elegant as Windows Media Center?   Is there a WMC skin or plug-in to emulate WMC?

No there isn't a WMV skin or plug-in. As above, JRiver Media Center isn't a copy or emulation of WMC. You need to learn how MC works, is all.

For example, above you wanted to skip/jump forward and back in time using the |<< and >>| buttons. Specifically;

In WMC,  >>| skips forward 30 seconds; about a commercial's worth.  |<< skips back 5 seconds, in case you overshot.  Perfect for watching TV - a couple of hits on |<< gives you an instant replay.  I already have dedicated change channel buttons on the remote.  I don't need |<< and >>| to change channels, too.   Forward and back one track on music is perfect; On video, increment forward and back in time would be my preference.  Maybe this is another feature request. (i'd be OK with them being configurable)

MC uses the Left and Right Arrow buttons to do this. I think this makes way more sense than the |<< and >>| buttons, which are by definition "Previous" and "Next", even in WMC. Every remote has Left and Right buttons, and for me they are more logically "go left a bit" and "go right a bit" once a program is playing.

The amount of time MC jumps forward and backwards in time is configurable, independently for Audio and Video media. There is a Search field at the bottom of the MC Option dialogue window. Search for "Jump" to find the settings. The defaults are 30 seconds forward, 10 seconds backwards.

You aren't missing anything. In this case, "very limited" means non-existent, although I believe it is being worked on, or at least on Yaobing's list. I think Yaobing's answer was being very diplomatic.  8)

Not required, as the functionalityis already there. Start in the MC Theatre View Guide and use the five buttons mentioned above to navigate the menus to set up one time recordings or subscribe to a Series. To be honest though while subscriptions can be set up this way, particularly if all the defaults are set up in Options, I tend to use Standard View to create Subscriptions, or at least check and edit them. That's because I set up extra rules usually. But it can all be done fro Theatre View.

Using JRiver as a HTPC for watching TV, I tend to use the remote as the primary user input device, reverting to the mouse only as a last resort when the remote functionality is inadequate to the task.

I use a Logitech hardware Infrared Remote for the same reason. But the MO 4Media version of an Android remote looks pretty good, and has more buttons including the ones I use most. The free version includes the Theatre View Remote Control functionality. Try it out, if you have an Android device. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114964.0.html

I only use my wireless keyboard/mouse when I am doing maintenance on MC, and need to key in data, for example. Maybe also when I want to do a search, because the on-screen keyboard functionality is pretty slow to use. For general Theatre View use, and mouse adds no value.

It's a challenge when the buttons on the Windows remote have different behaviour than WMC. (Whose UI is by far - orders of magnitude - better than any competing HTPC software I have tried)

It is always a challenge to learn new paradigms, but you can do it. As above, MC isn't a copy of WMC, so there is a learning curve. Get on it. You will find MC matches WMC in ease of use and is far more configurable, once you learn how to configure it. I assume that you know about Views in Standard and Theatre View, as you have been using MC for some time. My use of MC for TV is very straightforward, and anyone can pick up the remote and start using it very quickly.

PS: I see Yaobing has responded further while I was writing. Not usual, because I write a lot!  8)
PPS: I didn't thoroughly proof read all the above, so forgive any errors!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:52:32 pm »

Also, https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,95703.0.html

That top fly down menu in Display View is apparently called the "mouse control bar". I've always wondered what to call it, as it isn't the OSD, which is activated by the Up and Down Arrows and shows at the bottom of the screen.

So now I shall call it the "Mouse Control Bar" unless someone tells me that is wrong, or provides a better name.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jwsadauskas

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 10:24:40 am »

Thanks for the awesome response!

Okay, without meaning to be rude, could you stop comparing MC to WMC? MC isn't supposed to work like WMC and isn't supposed to emulate it. MC has a learning curve. It is different. Please be patient and learn how to use it. I found it just as usable as WMC when I started using it back in 2013, and it has become much better for TV since then.

No, you can't change the behaviour. The actual buttons on the fly down menu are |<<, ||, , and >>|. These have the functions of Previous or Rewind (hold for rewind, as per tooltip pop up help), Pause, Stop, and Next or Fast Forward (hold for fast forward, as per tooltip pop up help).

like you say, I was expecting |<< and >>| to do something in the time domain.  Those symbols usually mean skip forward or back in time to some kind of marker, like next track or chapter or some defined time increment.  For me, clicking them once with the mouse changed channels.  I was surprised.

By the way, on any remote control I have ever used there is a big difference between |<< & >>| and << & >>, although sometimes they function the same, in certain situations.

All the remotes I'm familiar with, those buttons all control the time domain.  forward, back in time, skip track or chapter, this is the first time I've seen those change to a different program.  You're right;  I'll get used to it.  It's just different.

I have never found the |<< or >>| buttons on the fly down panel particularly useful, especially the |<< button because it is "unreliable", in the sense that the function changes depending on a few factors, but this is what they do when playing Video and TV.

|<< click it to go to the beginning of the video or Time Shift buffer if watching TV. A double click to go to the previous item in Playing Now.  If you selected "Play All" when displaying the episodes in a Season of a Series, then all episodes are added to Playing Now. In that case, double-clicking the |<< button will go to the previous episode in the Playing Now list, unless you are already on the first item, in which case it does nothing.

For me, clicking them once with the mouse changed channels on live TV - very reliably.  I tried click and hold ; nothing happened during the duration of the hold.  When I released the mouse button, the channel changed.  No interaction with |<< or >>| affected my position in the buffer.  The only way to change position in the buffer that worked for me was dragging the slider.  The resolution is a little coarse to find what I want, but it works.

For TV, when you start playback of a channel, the channel list that you have set up, in the order you have configured, is added to Playing Now. So a double click takes you back to the previous channel in the channel list. In practice I find that a triple click is often required in this instance.

|<< press and hold to Rewind to an earlier point in a video or Time-Shifted TV. The video isn't played in Rewind, but you can see the progress bar moves back in time, and release the button at the correct time. Personally, I prefer to just click on the progress bar to using this method.

|| click on it to pause playback. The icon will change to the Play button. Click again to restart playback, of either video or TV (which is just video in the Time Shift buffer at this stage).

click to stop playback. If you click the Play button again after this, MC will play what is currently selected in Playing Now. Learn about Playing Now and how it works. It is an important aspect of MC.

>>| click to go to the next item in the Playing Now list. If there are no more items in the Playing Now list, does nothing. If you are playing a TV channel, all channels have been added to the Playing Now list, so MC goes to the next channel in your custom list.

>>| click and hold to Fast Forward to a later point in a video or Time-Shifted TV. The video isn't played in Fast Forward, but you can see the progress bar moves forward in time, and release the button at the correct time. Personally, I prefer to just click on the progress bar to using this method.

Very helpful.  Thanks! Is this functionality documented somewhere? (other than your very helpful explanation)

||/> and [] paused, resumed, and stopped just as I expected.  Worked flawlessly

For me any kind of click on the |<<  changed channels in the 'down' direction and any kind of click on >>|  changed channels up.  Click and hold did not FF or RW as the popup hint suggested.

I will have to go play with it some more.

BTW, try the Scroll Wheel on the mouse while watching, both while hovering over the fly down menu (volume change)and over the vide itself (jumps forward and back).

No, you can't change the behaviour. See my comment above about the Scroll Wheel, and also below about the Left and Right Arrows. The |<< and >>| buttons on an MCE (WMC) Infrared Remote work pretty much like my descriptions above, I think. I don't use them except in DVD playback, because I don't need to use them. MC uses other controls.

For me, The |<< and >>| buttons on my MCE remote, when touched once, change channels. 
If I can keep my fingers off of |<< and >>|  it sounds like the Windows remote will work for me.

I tried the scroll wheel on the mouse.  Great suggestion.  For me, Scroll up and Scroll down both changed channels

When configurng a recording in Theatre View, if you see the heading "Select any setting or press Enter/OK to edit", just click on the item you want to use. That is exactly the same as using Enter or OK.

I click on the item and can change the setting (had to read a couple twice to get the double negative straight),  but I didn't see a way to close the menu using the mouse.  The menu just stayed on screen until I used another input device to hit OK/Enter.

For example, above you wanted to skip/jump forward and back in time using the |<< and >>| buttons. Specifically;

MC uses the Left and Right Arrow buttons to do this. I think this makes way more sense than the |<< and >>| buttons, which are by definition "Previous" and "Next", even in WMC. Every remote has Left and Right buttons, and for me they are more logically "go left a bit" and "go right a bit" once a program is playing.

The amount of time MC jumps forward and backwards in time is configurable, independently for Audio and Video media. There is a Search field at the bottom of the MC Option dialogue window. Search for "Jump" to find the settings. The defaults are 30 seconds forward, 10 seconds backwards.

Great explanation!  I'll have to get used to the right and left buttons.  I've only ever used them before to move the focus around grids of options.  They do behave as you suggest;  skipping forward an back in time - perfect.

You aren't missing anything. In this case, "very limited" means non-existent, although I believe it is being worked on, or at least on Yaobing's list. I think Yaobing's answer was being very diplomatic.  8)

Not required, as the functionality is already there. Start in the MC Theatre View Guide and use the five buttons mentioned above to navigate the menus to set up one time recordings or subscribe to a Series. To be honest though while subscriptions can be set up this way, particularly if all the defaults are set up in Options, I tend to use Standard View to create Subscriptions, or at least check and edit them. That's because I set up extra rules usually. But it can all be done from Theatre View.

It's another family member that is primarily interested in subscriptions.  They'd be put off by Standard View.  Whatever functionality is available in Theatre view will have to suffice - unless I'm called in.

I use a Logitech hardware Infrared Remote for the same reason. But the MO 4Media version of an Android remote looks pretty good, and has more buttons including the ones I use most. The free version includes the Theatre View Remote Control functionality. Try it out, if you have an Android device. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114964.0.html

My last Android died.  Mine are all Apple now.

Thanks for your awesome help!

jwsadauskas

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 10:44:09 am »

Correction:  The mouse scroll wheel is working perfectly now.  Dunno why it was changing channels when I first tried it.

Thanks again!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 04:48:50 pm »

Click and hold did not FF or RW as the popup hint suggested.

Well, FF and RW only work when there is somewhere to FF and RW to, so if you have paused Live TV for a while, you can then hit Play and FF through the program, or FF in Paused mode. Or if you have been watching a program for a while with Time-Shift on, you can RW to an earlier time. With pre-recorded TV or other videos, similar thing. If you are in the middle of a program you can FF and RW through it.

Is that how you tried it?

The menu just stayed on screen until I used another input device to hit OK/Enter.

As you say, some of the items in the menu are just for changing settings. But there are a three at the top that will take an action and close the menu, Cancel, and two version of Subscribe. Clicking any of those three is the same as taking the action they describe and pressing OK/Enter.

It's another family member that is primarily interested in subscriptions.  They'd be put off by Standard View.  Whatever functionality is available in Theatre view will have to suffice - unless I'm called in.

In that case, set up the Recording Defaults carefully in "Options > Television > Recording". There may be a bit of a learning curve and some tweaking required to get it the way you and your family like it. Note that you can change the defaults through Theatre View as well, and you can change the settings once off for a subscription. You probably will need to do a little training for that other family member.

Also, note that the quality and completeness of the EPG you are using has a large effect on how well recording rules work. I have poor quality EPG at the moment, so I have to use fairly loose recording rules so that I don't miss a program, which means I record some I don't want. Repeats and so on. Take some time to check how well your rules are working, and tune as necessary.

I think you will find MC TV capabilities great once you get used to them. Enjoy!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 10:50:34 pm »

Click and hold did not FF or RW as the popup hint suggested.

I think I know why it confused you.  This particular function is not the most intuitively designed, perhaps because it was designed with audio playback in mind, instead of video playback.

It works. However, while you click and hold the >>| button, the video does not advance, but the time indicator does.  Once you see the time reach the desired value, let go of the mouse button and video will jump to that position.

but I didn't see a way to close the menu using the mouse.  The menu just stayed on screen until I used another input device to hit OK/Enter.

Besides what RoderickGI said about clicking one of "Cancel", "Subscribe", or "Record" buttons, some menus require you to choose one among several options.  An example of such menu is "Time mode" menu, which looks like this:

Select a subscription time mode

All showings
One per week, near Friday at 12:00 AM
One per day, near 12:00 AM
One per day, only prime-time
One per day, only middle of night

In such menus you should click one of the choices.  The menu closes once you click one of them.  Notice that one of the choices may already have a check mark before the option name, to indicate pre-selection, either by user, or by program default.  Click another item if you want to change the selection, but if you do not want to change it, just click the one that has a check mark. 

I implemented it this way to reduce the number of clicks a user has to go through.
Pages: [1]   Go Up