INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: since the server meltdown JRiver has been highly suspect at ripping  (Read 976 times)

larryincmh

• Recent member

I tried to search for this topic in the forums but failed to find a match, so, will start a new topic.  Starting about the same time as the servers were compromised and had to be rebuilt, my JRiver 24 has failed to be a reliable ripper for CDs.  The program finds the CD most of the time rather quickly, but, when I go to rip a CD it just hangs, says it is "initializing" but then fails to progress with any rate of speed.  As a test I tried a six song EP and it took four (4) hours to rip it in mp3 format.  Obviously unacceptable. 

Cancelling the rip causes the program to be unresponsive and generally I have to Ctrl+alt+del to get the program to stop.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the CD drives, have made sure all updates are in place for JRiver (although I had 24.0.55 installed even though .56 was the most recent version, and, the program update channel module said I was up-to-date, so, I installed .56 manually but that did not fix things) all to no avail.

Also, sometimes, but not always, when I look at the progress bar for a rip, it says it might be at 10% or thereabouts, and when I cancel it by ejecting the CD rather than cancelling the rip via the radio button on JRiver, the program continues to perform the "rip" even though no drive is in the tray, and even shows a progress bar advancing, and then finally returns a message about the disc not being available, and it cancels.

Anyone else experiencing this?  Did something get corrupted I wonder in my setup when the server issue arose?  I have not tried to totally uninstall the program and reinstall, but, thought I would reach out to the forums first.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. 

I am running a Windows 7 machine, dual Xeon processors, 128GB of RAM, 64-bit install of JRiver.

swiv3d

Re: since the server meltdown JRiver has been highly suspect at ripping
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 09:17:16 am »

I have ripped a number of cds since the server rebuild and haven't seen any slow down in the ripping function I am going to Flac though so I suppose the mp3 route could be the problem.

larryincmh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 09:36:28 am »

I have ripped a number of cds since the server rebuild and haven't seen any slow down in the ripping function I am going to Flac though so I suppose the mp3 route could be the problem.

So what is confusing to me however is that up until the prior incident, I had ripped a couple thousand CDs over the past few years with no issue whatsoever.  So, unless there is now something amiss with the mp3 ripping component in JRiver??  I can try a FLAC rip to see if it makes any difference.

Oh, another thing that has occurred to me that is much slower than it used to be, which is the "auto-import" function.  In the past I would run this just to be sure all the links were good in my library (about 3,500 full albums and 75,000+ tracks) and it would fly through that component in a short period of time, maybe 5-6 minutes.  Now that function takes a half hour or more.  The more I think about this the more it almost seems like I should just do the kiss of death and remove the program and all libraries and re-install to see if it fixes.  I usually rip 10+ CDs a week, this is getting to be excruciating.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:39:19 am »

It's unlikely that the server change is causing a problem now. There was a problem for a week or so with CD lookups from YADB.  That's over. 
Antivirus or firewall could cause problems.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:43:23 am »

You might check windows defender too. There is a topic on its effect on the system here;
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

The ripping issue sounds like there might be an issue with the drive.
Do you have secure ripping on? It will do many retries on bad sector reads.
Can you try an external one if you have one or perhaps clean the drive.

larryincmh

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 11:08:13 am »

You might check windows defender too. There is a topic on it's affect on the system here;
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

The ripping issue sounds like there might be an issue with the drive.
Do you have secure ripping on? It will do many retries on bad sector reads.
Can you try an external one if you have one or perhaps clean the drive.

I could try that, however, I have two separate internal drives, one a BD drive and one a standard DVD.  However, they both run off the same buss I am sure I wonder if that could be something with it?  When I use other software like Make MKV however on the drives there are not issues, data flows quickly.  Hmmmmm, much to ponder.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 07:33:51 pm »

Can you play directly from the CD without issues? If so, then the ripping may be having trouble writing to the hard disk target.

As you say that Auto Import is also very slow now, this would again point to a hard disk/NAS/network problem.

As you are on Windows 7, it probably isn't a Windows Update, but it still could be. Microsoft has released some junk updates recently.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

larryincmh

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 01:35:38 pm »

Can you play directly from the CD without issues? If so, then the ripping may be having trouble writing to the hard disk target.

As you say that Auto Import is also very slow now, this would again point to a hard disk/NAS/network problem.

As you are on Windows 7, it probably isn't a Windows Update, but it still could be. Microsoft has released some junk updates recently.

Playing a CD works just fine, ripping a BD to the same target drive as the music works without issue (although I use a different program for that).  Ripping a CD via iTunes to the same target drive as JRiver uses is without issue as well. 

I did check my Norton settings and made sure to add JRiver as an approved program, will check and see if that makes it work OK.  I also uninstalled the CD drives and then rebooted to allow the drivers to reinstall, which made one of the drives work OK but the second drive still crashes the program and never initializes. 

Your comment about the Windows 7 updates may have something to do with it, I do recall that there were some driver updates and some system updates about the same time that had to be manually installed by me as they failed on auto-install.  I might just go back and uninstall JRiver and reinstall from scratch and see if it fixes it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up