INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I convert dsf files to 24 bit PCM on the fly with DSP Studio?  (Read 1017 times)

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck

I ripped my SACDs to dsf successfully:  the files play beautifully when I configure the DLNA server with mode set to 'original', and send them wirelessly to my Oppo 103.

For all files except dsf, I have a second DLNA server with
- mode set to 'specified output format only when necessary',
- format set to PCM 24-bit

I would like to have a single DLNA server for all my files (dsf,flac, mp3, aiff). Under the 'advanced' section, under 'audio formats to convert', dsf is one of the formats selected.  However, when I submit a dsf file to be converted on the fly, nothing comes out of the Oppo.  Normally, on the Media Center header, it lists the Oppo 103, and time is advancing one second at a time as the song plays.  In this case, when I submit a dsf file, the header lists the Oppo 103, the clock counts up to 01 second, stops, and in a few seconds, the time goes away, and it simply says 'Oppo 103'

As an experiment, I manually converted a dsf file with the conversion program (via 'convert format' in the pulldown).  When I converted the file to aif or flac, it produced 24-bit samples at 352.8 kHz sampling rate.  This is too high for the Oppo, so I reduced the sampling rate in half, to 176.4 kHz.  When I submit those files, they play, and the sound is outstanding.

The bottom line is that I can't get the dsf files to convert to PCM 24-bit on the fly.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance...
Ron

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I convert dsf files to 24 bit PCM on the fly with DSP Studio?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:08:39 am »

Change the DSP studio settings under the DLNA server settings to cap the output format sample rate to the maximum that your device supports.

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:58:12 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion - it worked!
Ron

PS - would you expect it to sound exactly the same as the DSF file?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 04:24:10 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion - it worked!
Ron

PS - would you expect it to sound exactly the same as the DSF file?
Edit: Sorry I missed the question I was thinking of your other post.
I'd expect it to sound very very close since it's still 24 bit and the sample rate is still quite high.
Pages: [1]   Go Up