INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MY Sound Blaster Extigy  (Read 3184 times)

zevele10

MY Sound Blaster Extigy
« on: May 27, 2003, 11:46:30 am »

WHAOU......!!!!

Ho guys ,this is very well spend money! Trust me !

Still have some issues about whom  i will post later

They have a cheaper one for people just playing music from they computer to they 'all  wild plastic " speakers and/or using headphones
I 'am sure that it is as great ..BUT mp3 and WMA compatible ONLY......

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: MY Sound Blaster Extigy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 12:12:08 pm »

Salut l'ami,

Please do report as I am looking for a new sound card/system for my main computer (the one that the folks here call dad's computer / la bécane de papa).

Thanks,

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 12:42:47 pm »

Keep in mind that i speak about 'old' stereo== amp and 2 speakers.
As far as i remember ,i never had Bod Dylan or Mick singing IN MY BACK during concert and i really do not feel to try........

The sound when you play cds , or any format from MC  is just GREAT , If you use headphones it is ever more GREAT.
You left behind you  all the computer noises - i have FIVE or SIX fans and an heat extrator  , no good to leave in hot countrys...-
But not only ,before if running  Mp3Utility ,i had a strong noise in the speakers .- keep in mind i speak about amp at level 8 ,9 -

Not anymore now.
In another hand ,if all your 'sound system' is of the same level than your headphones , i do not think that this soundcard is for you.

It is more for people with very fair stereo playing LOUD - as Charlemagne 8 ,yes he is crazy ,but so sweat.....

I do think that ,for the same price or just more you can get internal soundcard of much better standart.

Still ripping LPS?
I'am lucky.: i have an AMAZING neo-spy garage collection-  most of them not on cd.
I have a friend ripping it with a top program- he does not really need it because all my lps are mint-
And he gives me back the lp ,or 12" or 7" And a cd with a colour copie of the lp sleeve reduce to cd format.

But what you do not know is how many years and $$$$$ it takes me to have such a collection.
I have all ,including tapes and flexis , all sleeves from different countrys and all vinyl colors

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 01:00:22 pm »

Yes still recording LP's, but I found a few of my LP's available as "online encode" on allofpm3 so its a bit less work for me.
I was wondering if the line-in preamp and Analog Coder of the extigy is allright for my turntable. I thought that since it is external it should be less noisy that my internal sound card. You see at the moment I have two choices for my LP sessions: 1/ using my existing fortissimo internal line-in with an external preamp 2/ using my Onkyo amp-receiver phono input and connect the tape-out to the line-in of my phono. Anyway both solutions are a bit noisy and I have to process my recorded wawe in Cool edit which is a bit tedious.

BTW here's a picture of my HI-FI turntable :

What do you think ? it has an ECL82 triod as the main preamp/amp and an UY85 as the power rectifier. (in fact that's my dad's "electrophone" perfectly functional !)

C.

Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 01:07:32 pm »

HEY HEY
My father  still have  my first " stereo' i must be 6 or 7 years old  a Claude very much like the one on the picture..
Now i must give you a tip : if you try to rip lps who had been playing a lot on the Claude or Triod , you need  Cool Edit MEGA SUPRA PRO

zevele10

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 01:11:38 pm »

Can not tell you about the Line In .. i cannot get it works.. can be because i installed only thedrivers and none of the software.
But 'on the paper' it has to be good. Now ,i'am not sure that "In' means In your computer

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 05:28:18 pm »

It is more for people with very fair stereo playing LOUD - as Charlemagne 8 ,yes he is crazy ,but so sweat.....

I suppose you mean "sweet" and I'll take that as a compliment. Although "sweat" might be appropriate at this moment as I just got through mowing my grass.

The Extigy is sort of a preamp itself ... it will drive headphones and small speakers by itself but "amped up", it is truly awsome. The line-in works well for LP's and tapes using Creative's Software. It can be set also to "What you hear" as the source so if you have another input (your old soundcard?) that you can get your LP's to play through your computer, you can leave it alone wityhout doing a lot of switching around. I say this because, although there may be a way to do it, what I've found is that you either use Line-in OR USB as the input for Extigy. Not both. But you can tell your computer to use a different card for input and the Extigy (or another card) for output.
Also, the headphones plugged in to the Extigy mutes the output so bypass that when possible by using your amp headphone jack.

Go ahead and install the software. It's not aggressive. And get the update from the website. It works much better.

And Bob or Mick won't be at your back unless you put your center channel speaker there. The splitter in Extigy does a really good job at simulating 5.1 sound. Or 4 if that's your preference.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 12:13:26 pm »

Of cause ,i mean Sweet
You may 'sweat' from time to time but Sweet ,you are allways..... ;D

Or 4 if that's your preference.== my preference is ONLY two speakers.
I may install part of the software , because Line In and the volume knob are not working.

There is one thing i'am very disapointed : most of the time i play on the stereo speakers.
But i have some Yamaha bass/speakers for computer as well.
Late at night ,sometimes i use them instead of using the headphones.

I would like to plug the amp AND the Yamaha.
If i want to change ,i just shut down the amp and light on the Yamaha.
But they are working only as front speakers.
So i need to do the same than before : unplug the amp and plug the Yamaha , if i want to change speakers.

This is a BIG BIG minus ,to the point i would not have buy it if knowing it

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 04:34:00 pm »

Run two channel but plug in the Yamahas to the rear output on Extigy. Then if you only want the Yamahas, turn off the amp. This may require that the CMSS button be off but that's on the front of Extigy. It will still output on 4 channels but the front set and the rear set output the same signals.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 10:17:56 am »

Still no luck with the Yamaha : no sound.
When runing the diagnotisc program ,i go sound ,but not when playing music

Line-in working now ,but if you play a cd trought Line-in and  from your computer , you would never again use Line-in.
Sound from the cdr is million times better-- ok ,half a million-

Creative Recorder is limited to MP3 128 ,so i really do not see the use of it.
Mixer is good. With bass and treble instead of all the stupids settings in all players- bathroom , city hall ,half full of people large living room and so on......-And the volume knob just near you is very nice.

Now ,if i have the luck to be able to use the remote control with WinDVD , i would be VERY happy and save on a new wireless keyboard.

And ,yes ,sound is AMAZING

zevele10

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 10:22:08 am »

Cmagic

do you want me to try the phono-line-in connection?
I do not need to move anything, stereo and computer are together.

Just tell me what you want me to test\check

-=-=-=
using my Onkyo amp-receiver phono input and connect the tape-out to the line-in of my phono.-=-=

I don't get it.. you have  a line-in on your turnable?
or you mean your computer?

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 10:38:38 am »

yup..

If I'm reading your post right, then your talking about the phono jack for a turntable? That should NOT be used for anything other than a turntable. What the phono stage has is called RIAA equalization that amps up some frequencies (especially on the low end). This effectively flattens out the frequency response so you'll have 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 1 dB (guessed at range and max deviation).

n68 LIVES!!!

zevele10

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2003, 01:16:37 pm »

Headphones do not play loud when using  Headphones plug.
I have to use the amp jack  ,here i can blow my mind
Pages: [1]   Go Up