INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Audio Driver Install Permissions Problem  (Read 1038 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
WDM Audio Driver Install Permissions Problem
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:30:42 pm »

Hi all,
I'm trying to add the WDM audio driver feature on my work laptop. I'm in a pseudo-locked down environment. My account has access to run programs "elevated". When I do this to launch MC, then try to add the WDM Driver under features, I get Windows error referencing ..\PackageInstaller.exe that states that "The requested operation requires elevation." I'm assuming that this is because I'm launching MC with elevated permissions, not PackageInstaller.exe. Does anyone know how to get around this? Is there something I can run from a cmd prompt or otherwise launch PackageInstaller with appropriate permissions?
Thanks,
JB

swiv3d

Re: WDM Audio Driver Install Permissions Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 03:52:48 pm »

Can you not right click on the PackageIstaller.exe file and select run as administrator?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 03:58:00 pm »

I tried that for giggles, but nothing happened. I assumed that it was because the PackageInstaller did not have a GUI and was just performing some jobs requested by MediaCenter.

Also, to be clear, I don't have admin rights but I am able to "run elevated". I don't actually know what the technical differences are. This may be the culprit, but normally I am able to install software and drivers just fine.

I just went back and actually tried to run PackageInstaller.exe as administrator, put my p/w in and then got the same error as when trying to enable the WDM driver.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 04:10:05 pm »

Is it possible for you to right click on the .exe file select properties>compatabilty and then select the checkbox for run as administrator? Then do the WDM install. Are you installing the wdm driver for any particular reason?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 04:48:22 pm »

Usually Windows should ask you when a process needs to run elevated. Its possible that you turned those prompts off, in which case this won't work.
This is called "User Account Control" in Windows, so make sure its set to a relatively high level that allows applications to prompt for access.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:48:04 pm »

Is it possible for you to right click on the .exe file select properties>compatabilty and then select the checkbox for run as administrator? Then do the WDM install. Are you installing the wdm driver for any particular reason?

I was able to check the option with no problem (no UAC prompts), but it didn't help the driver install any.
I am trying to setup the driver so I have access to the DSP Studio effects for streaming music. The browser based solutions I've found don't seem ideal to me, though they are obviously less of a headache on the install end.

Usually Windows should ask you when a process needs to run elevated. Its possible that you turned those prompts off, in which case this won't work.
This is called "User Account Control" in Windows, so make sure its set to a relatively high level that allows applications to prompt for access.
IT sets everything up and has it reasonably locked down. I've got the "elevated" rights so that I can install software, as needed. Generally, if I get denied by UAC when trying to install something, I'm able to right click > Run Elevated and then I get the appropriate UAC prompts.
I'm getting a UAC prompt when trying to install the WDM driver, but it seems like it's either not applying to PackageInstaller.exe or else I'm actually getting denied for some reason. I've never run into this before, including on driver installs.

swiv3d

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 05:49:37 pm »

Which version of MC are you running? Early versions of MC 24 had a wdm driver with problems. Worth checking in device manager that there are no nasty yellow exclamation marks next to your network driver.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 06:14:49 pm »

If PackageInstaller cannot ask for elevation, then it won't be able to install the driver. There is no manual way to do that, outside of running MC as Administrator (elevation is not enough, since thats not passed to sub-processes).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

swiv3d

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 06:17:26 pm »

So I guess it's please Mr Systems Admin can I have?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 08:34:43 am »

If PackageInstaller cannot ask for elevation, then it won't be able to install the driver. There is no manual way to do that, outside of running MC as Administrator (elevation is not enough, since thats not passed to sub-processes).
Hmmm, not ideal. It's a big enough company that IT is not going to care that I'd like to have a more ideal music listening experience while working...

Maybe I've got another route. I played with this a little, and couldn't get it to work, but I might be missing something obvious...
Is there a way to just open my music streaming service (Google Play Music in case it matters) from within the MC web browser? If that would send audio through MC's DSP studio it would probably work for me. I just can't figure out how to setup a link to a static webpage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up