INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 24 Server: network port forwarding rules via VPN  (Read 1229 times)

wellywu

• World Citizen

My mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC runs Elementary OS 5 "Juno" 64 bit GNU/Linux which is based off of Ubuntu 18.04.1 64 bit LTS. I installed and licensed JRiver Media Center 24.0.61 64 bit and I figured out the required network port forwarding rules to permit remote access to my media server from my mid-2016 Acer Predator 17X (GX-791) and mid-2017 ASUS ROG STRIX GL702ZC gaming notebook PCs running the same desktop operating system and JRiver versions. When I disconnect my AVA Direct from VPNSecure.Me or one of my three virtual private network subscriptions, I can connect to my media server just fine over HTTP or HTTPS via SSL. When my AVA Direct is connected to a VPN, both of my gaming notebook PCs and JRiver software can not connect to my media server. I researched the VPNSecure.Me support page to find information on how to use network port forwarding for their service, but it is not available. Both the GNOME network manager and the VPNSecure.Me GNU/Linux desktop client do not allow for network port forwarding rules to be set and to work while connected to a VPN gateway server.

I just came home after visiting Starbucks coffee shop here in Nutley, New Jersey in the United States of America to test JRiver. My three gaming PCs have Teamviewer 14 beta running all of the time and I used it to connect to and to disconnect from VPNSecure.Me on my AVA Direct in my bedroom in my apartment at home. When it is connected to a VPN, JRiver can not connect to my media server at home from one of my gaming notebook PCs.

I thought that the JRiver media key would resolve this technical issue by making it easier to connect to my media server at home regardless of whether it is connected to a VPN gateway server or not. That is not the case. Can someone help me to figure out how to use JRiver Media Center to connect to my media server at home while my AVA Direct is connected to a VPN gateway server at the same time? Thank you.

wellywu

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver Media Center 24 Server: network port forwarding rules via VPN
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 04:53:54 pm »

I am going to have to switch to Private Internet Access VPN and use their GNU/Linux desktop client because it does allow for network port forwarding within their app for GNU/Linux while my gaming PCs are connected to one of their VPN gateway servers. I am going to do the work necessary to install and configure it and to make sure it works by visiting the Dunkin Donuts coffee shop down the street from my apartment with one of my gaming notebook PCs. Not many VPN service providers allow for network port forwarding within their desktop clients and PIA is one of the few exceptions to this rule. I should be able to figure it out myself tonight or tomorrow.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 07:55:16 pm »

I got it to work.

I am at the Nutley, New Jersey Starbucks coffee shop with my mid-2017 ASUS ROG STRIX GL702ZC gaming notebook PC running Elementary OS 5 "Juno" 64 bit GNU/Linux and JRiver Media Center 24.0.61 64 bit. I installed Private Internet Access VPN version 82 64 bit and I read their support web page about network port forwarding and I double checked to ensure that the required network port is open through my Verizon FiOS Quantum Advanced Gateway Router, Ubuntu Uncomplicated Firewall, JRiver Media Center 24.0.61 64 bit and Private Internet Access VPN version 82 GNU/Linux desktop client. I just streamed a few TV shows and movies from my JRiver Media Server and although it is choppy due to the limited bandwidth here at Starbucks coffee shop, I am able to connect to my media server while it is connected to PIA VPN gateway server and stream my premium content. It just works. You will need to pay for Private Internet Access VPN subscription and to install their desktop client and you will need to connect to one of their worldwide VPN gateway servers that permits network port forwarding while configuring your router's firewall network port forwarding rules, software based firewall exceptions, and the PIA VPN desktop client as well. For Elementary OS 5 "Juno" 64 bit GNU/Linux, you will need to refer to this specific web page to fix and install the deprecated application indicator so you can see the PIA VPN GNU/Linux desktop app in your Pantheon desktop environment and configure it: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/08/how-to-re-enable-ayatana-appindicators.html. Configure, download and install the required software code and package and then restart your Elementary OS 5 "Juno" 64 bit GNU/Linux PC before moving forward to configure your router, software firewall, and JRiver Media Center Server. You can reply to this thread if you need extra help or technical support.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:41:17 pm »

Thanks for posting all the details.
Pages: [1]   Go Up