INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 24.0.55 not starting ("trial expired"), License-Restore doesn't work (SOLVED)  (Read 455 times)

JR190

Hello to everyone here,

am new to the forum, with following problem:

MC 24 refuses to start, with reference to an assumed trial period expiration.
License Restore doesn't work, double click on temporary key code file does evoke files "JRiver Crash Handler" and "Package Installer". Right clicking on one of these (in Windows TaskManager) and terminating them does --either directly or with an additional message that "Package Installer" doesn't work correctly-- make them go away, and then starting the MC 24 exe file is again responsive, but still only leads to the trial expiration message as before (as long as the mentioned files "Crash Handler" and "Package Installer" are still active, starting MC 24 exe is irresponsive at all and doesn't even show that expiration message).

MC 24 is installed portably on partition D: (data partition of course, not WIN system partition), problem has appeared since I moved that partition to another drive (in detail: from one SSD to another).

Attempts to newly install MC 24 don't work, the installation process starts, but soon hangs with the message "Cleaning up installation folder" (or similar, my message in fact is in German, where it says "Bereinigung des Installationsordners"). This is true even if I choose a freshly created, empty folder for the new portable installation.

System: WIN 8.1 x64, with current status of updates.

Many thanks in advance for those who may help!

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 24.0.55 not starting ("trial expired"), License-Restore doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:40:34 pm »

Portable installations come with their own license. You should install a clean normal install, and license that. If you still need a portable version, you can create a new one once the normal install is fully licensed.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JR190

Re: MC 24.0.55 not starting ("trial expired"), License-Restore doesn't work
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 03:15:56 pm »

Hello Hendrik,

Thanks a lot for your advice, which indeed solved the problem!
Installation of a registered "normal" MC24 (under C:\Program Files etc.) was problem-free, and then I could create a new portable installation on the D: partition.
And even more: Afterwards, I tried to do an installation into the formerly used portable folder, and that, too, worked fine.
So I could start my "old" MC24 installation without having to do all the settings adjustments again!

Many thanks again for your quick and successful help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up