INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get MC to write file tags ONLY inside of Album folder Structures  (Read 632 times)

ComponentAudioGuy

• Recent member

I have absolutely no use for having individual Thumbnails.

I haven't listened to Music outside of playing (or at least putting on) the whole Album since I was 15 or 16 yrs old . If I want to listen to "songs" I'll put a "radio" on.

Well, enough of that...... I just want to know if this is a "doable" Music Library mode (without having to rearrange the music files on my external HDDs whenever I import something into MC)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I'm glad you got that off your chest. Feel better now?

Okay, now that we have that out of the way, what are you actually trying to do? What do you want MC to do? How do you want to use MC?

Your thread title says you only want tags inside the Album folder structure, which I take it means in the sub-directory that you have stored all Tracks for a given Album. But tagging, all tagging in all applications, is file based, which means Track based, so I'm not sure what you actually mean here. Sure, some applications have a database that stores information at the Album level. MC doesn't. But that is a detailed issue that doesn't really affect the result that you want to achieve.

I suspect that what you mean is that you only want one copy of the Album Cover Art, and you want it stored in the sub-directory next to all the Track files. Is that right? If not explain.

Then you waffle. Then you imply that you want to only ever play whole Albums. Well okay, you can do that with MC. In the most basic form, just select an Album and click play, and all Tracks in the Album will be added to Playing Now. Of course, there are a bunch of optional ways to add Tracks to Playing Now, such as replacing what is in Playing Now and start playing the Album immediately, or add an Album to the end of the list in Playing Now, or after the current Track that is playing, etc.

As for moving files around on your external HDDs, you haven't said anything about how you have stored your music files on said HDDs, so we can't comment about moving them around or not, or whether the way you store them on the HDDs is perfectly fine already. There are some better ways to store media files on HDDs, and there are some very good tools in MC to assist in moving them around, if that seems like a good thing to do. Did someone tell you that you needed to move files around?

Basically, just about everything you might want is doable in MC, when you think about the result you want to achieve, and not how you achieve that result. So let's focus on the result and explain exactly what that is.

But as per your forum name, and as you mentioned back in October, you are coming from being a Component Audio Guy, and there is going to be a learning curve for you to convert to being a computer playback audio guy. Please try to describe what you are trying to do as best you can, and you will get more helpful answers, more quickly.

I suggest that you read a whole lot of the Wiki, and search the Wiki for topics that you might want to learn about. Do the same in the forum; search for topics of interest. There is a Getting Started Wiki article, and a FAQ section, and User Manual, which is an index of topics a new user should familiarise themselves with.

Enjoy the music!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ComponentAudioGuy

• Recent member

Wow, I didn't mean to "rile" anyone up . Sorry, if I did. !

I'm pretty certain I haven't taken enough time to check off only the most basic tagging structure whenever I Import things into MC (I guess I'm just used to how dBPoweramp places things on my drives) (I'll try to explain myself a bit better for future reference !)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Wow, I didn't mean to "rile" anyone up . Sorry, if I did. !

Not riled. It's just hard to answer questions sensibly without at least a decent amount of information. People are happier to answer questions when they understand them!

It's also better to ask question such as "How do I achieve this result" rather than "How do I implement this solution I have decided upon" when posters don't explain what they are trying to achieve. Because for new users, the solution selected may not be the best way to achieve a result.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up