INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: raspberry Pi vs laptop selection  (Read 1125 times)

ray72

• Recent member
raspberry Pi vs laptop selection
« on: November 22, 2018, 06:22:24 pm »

Hi,
    I haven't found any topic discussing hardware selection so here is my question:
I got a raspberryPi3B running with Id Pi. Thanks for the help with my specific issues.
The next step with the Pi is to reduce the pile of hardware to a nice display and control.

I want to use it as a music player with no other features.
If the raspberry touch screen is easy to use, that's fine (a biger screen would be nice tho).

It seems doubtful so I am considering something like a laptop. A laptop with Debian (no Windows),
MC and two USB ports would not need raspberry Pi at all. One port would hold my 2TB
library drive, the other port would drive my NAD D3045.

Some version of HP Steam looks adequate (~$200, not terible). Is there someting like
this that is easy to fire up and play my library?
Side issues:
Disable bluetooth;
Disable wifi;
No ethernet connection;
strictly a music player.
Be nice if it would last 10-20 years...
ray72

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: raspberry Pi vs laptop selection
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 03:55:59 pm »

The Chromebook Flip is $400 today on Amazon. You can enable developer mode and install Debian, or it should have the option of running MC natively via Crostini soon.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 09:42:24 pm »

Crostini doesn't support sound yet.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 11:29:02 pm »

Be nice if it would last 10-20
A 200 dollar laptop isn't going to last 10 years.
If you want a laptop to lasts get one with a removable battery and take it out day one.
Also get one with a serviceable/replaceable fan.

I suspect you will have better luck with a Pi. Get a nice aluminum case for heat distribution and it should last a long time.
Not sure about 20 years though. In 20 years it would probably be quite temping to upgrade to a Pi12. It will be the size of a fingernail and have a crystal for file storage. Its power comes from the rotation of the earth and you can control it with your mind.

Instead of a monitor you could consider using a router with a remote app on an android device. I use a 40 dollar 2 Watt router with my Pi and it works quite well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up