INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frequent drop-outs when streaming to Sonos  (Read 764 times)

Ferdi

• World Citizen
Frequent drop-outs when streaming to Sonos
« on: November 20, 2018, 01:41:32 pm »

I use JRemote to play music to one of my Sonos speakers (DLNA). In Sonos, that speaker is grouped to other speakers in my home. Music is stored on a NAS. I am on MC 24.60.

For quite some time now, this scenario is not usable anymore, as speakers drop in and out. It seems to happen more at the beginning of a song, which might point to caching issues. Sometimes songs are skipped after only a few seconds.
It wouldn't explain why sometimes only one speaker out of a paired set-up drops out though.

I can play the same files perfectly fine when accessing my file storage straight through the Sonos app. That's what I've been doing for a while, it also pushes me to play Spotify more and more. I'd love to use MC more often again, as I have set up custom fields, views, playlists and groupings that no other SW can give me.

Any ideas?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Frequent drop-outs when streaming to Sonos
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 01:53:24 pm »

do you have 'Memory Playback checked' if you do, uncheck it.  if you don't, check it and see if it helps....just a thought
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 08:52:51 pm »

It was checked - I unchecked it, no change unfortunately.
What's annoying is that the behavior is not consistent. Yesterday, music would come from the speaker that I stream to, all grouped Sonos speakers would wait 5 or more second until they would play the song. That's not happening today, I just get drop outs on and off during the fist 30 seconds or so of a song.
Happy Thanksgiving!

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 07:44:56 am »

this is not scientific, bit same happens to me with JRemote or Panel.

from what i can see in jremote, when the audio drops out, the timeline continues to move forward.

i am streaming to a Sony soundbar in this particular room using blutooth from my ipad to the speakers.  with the large number of devices in my home and the switching between 2.4 and 5ghz as people move around, i suspect therein lies the interference.

when people are not home and it is just me, playback generally works.  when people are home the audio drop outs start.  but jremote shows the music is still playing as the progress bar continues to move forward.

time to be more scientific about it 😉

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 06:05:11 pm »

I hadn't paid attention to the timeline: in some cases - not all  ? -  the bar / second counter jumps back and then forward again, while still playing music. There's also a significant delay when pausing, stopping, skipping etc. via JRemote. And again, that only happens during the first 30sec of a song, and it doesn't when playing to my iPhone.

This whole behavior doesn't happen when I play Spotify, so must be caused by how MC and JRemote communicate with Sonos. The whole scenario of using Sonos as a DLNA receiver is not a scoped function from Sonos, nothing they have designed to work, as much as I am aware (someone from Sonos told me...); that is what they have their developer API's for, which companies like Spotify use. It's interesting though that the setup used to work quite well.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 11:07:10 am »

well I have a lazy Sunday ahead of me and time to experiment.

I've noticed that bluetooth can suffer interference easily: for example, yesterday once I started my dish washer, the bluetooth to the Sony soundbar immediately started experiencing drop outs.  stop the dish washer and all returns to normal (I'm surprised a dish washer caused this, but then our Microwave does the same; wrecks havoc on 2.4Ghz signals).

I find wireless (wifi 2.4 or bluetooth) to be fickle at best and maddeningly frustrating at worst.  Bluetooth is in the 2.4Ghz band so stands to reason those devices which interfere with 2.4 interfere with bluetooth too

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 11:40:00 am »

Is range an issue?  30 feet is currently the limit of most Bluetooth devices.  At the edge, there could be more problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up