INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Threading  (Read 1054 times)

realysm42

• Recent member
Threading
« on: November 27, 2018, 12:10:15 am »

I’m not sure if this is the right place but seems better than starting a new one for it - can you tell me what threads/programmes MC runs on Linux please?

I want to set it and all of it’s associated programs to their own core on my cpu as wel as make them real time priority.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Threading
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:03:22 am »

I’m not sure if this is the right place but seems better than starting a new one for it - can you tell me what threads/programmes MC runs on Linux please?

I want to set it and all of it’s associated programs to their own core on my cpu as wel as make them real time priority.
You don't want to make them all real-time.
MC has it's own thread priorities. If your user or group has RT permissions you can see that by doing this from a prompt with MC running:
Code: [Select]
ps -T -eo pid,tid,class,rtprio,ni,pri,comm | grep mediacenter
The following is a copy from the Raspberry Pi instructions. It applies equally to all MC linux builds.

Setting Thread Priorites for Improved Performance

To help ensure fewer dropouts and more seamless operation on a resource contrained sytem like a raspberry pi, you should set mediacenter to have greater priority over CPU time.  To set the thread priorities, type
sudo nano /etc/security/limits.conf

This will open limits.conf for editing. Enter the following at the bottom of the file (if the file is empty when you open it, that's fine too):
pi - rtprio         100
@audio - rtprio 100

Then type the following into the terminal.
sudo usermod -aG audio pi

After your next reboot, Mediacenter should have improved thread priorities.

realysm42

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 06:57:22 pm »

Hi Bob, thanks for your detailed reply.

I take your point on the priorities - I'd still like to have all of MC's operations on their own CPU core though; with that in mind, can you list all of the threads JRiver runs in linux please?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 09:41:16 pm »

We don't provide such detail.  Sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up