INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Playlists Freeze In Poweramp Music Player  (Read 876 times)

yoeleven

• Recent member
JRiver Playlists Freeze In Poweramp Music Player
« on: November 27, 2018, 02:00:17 pm »

I am migrating away from iTunes.  So, I have been cleaning and primping my music collection with JRiver.  I created a small playlist.  I was testing some music players, including Google Play, AIMP, Pi Music Player, and Poweramp.  The playlists were deposited in my root storage music folders, along with the tracks that I sync'd, Sent To, and Transferred to my mobile devices,  a Galaxy Tab and a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite. 

Everything seemed to worked great with a simple .m3u exported playlist.  Except.  Except for Poweramp.  So 3 of 4 players work.  ! does not.  The Poweramp folks say that file structure included in the JRiver .m3u is too specific. I still have wide open issues in their forum. I said, baloney.

In the mean time, I can live with any of the other 3 apps and move forward.  But, can I get a recommendation for a mobile device player app, that works with a standard (JRiver) m3u playlist.  If the playlists won't sync with Poweramp, I cannot use it, although I like it otherwise.

And/Or, if anyone else has experienced my dilemma, did you ever get a success path with Poweramp?

swiv3d

Re: JRiver Playlists Freeze In Poweramp Music Player
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 03:09:50 pm »

It might be the file pathway you are choosing which is causing the problem.

yoeleven

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:47:11 am »

It might be the file pathway you are choosing which is causing the problem.
Can you elaborate?  How am I involved with choosing the file pathway?  Here are 2 playlists that I copied into my mobile device music directory.  Also, all of my parent music files reside on my home PC.  I can/do sync these files and playlists over to the mobile devices.  So, here are 2 playlists.  One works.  The other does Not:

The first playlist is "automatically generated by JRiver as a simple .m3u, without any user intervention:

J:\NTFS_1\MP3_D\Dan Fogelberg - River of Souls - 08 - A Love Like This.mp3
J:\NTFS_1\MP3_H\Harry Chapin - Verities & Balderdash - 04 - 30,000 Pounds Of Bananas.mp3
J:\NTFS_1\MP3_H\Harry Chapin - Story of a Life, disc 2 - 04 - 30,000 Pounds of Bananas (live).mp3

The above paths are where the records are stored on my home PC.  When I send the above to the mobile device,  3 of 4 music apps Do recognize and successfully process the playlist.  Only one player does not.   This is the player I prefer to use.

Here is a playlist that I hand crafted, as a test, to see if it was acceptable to that one of the four mobile player apps:

\Dan Fogelberg - River of Souls - 08 - A Love Like This.mp3
\Harry Chapin - Verities & Balderdash - 04 - 30,000 Pounds Of Bananas.mp3
\Harry Chapin - Story of a Life, disc 2 - 04 - 30,000 Pounds of Bananas (live).mp3

So, once I removed any directory/path info from the JRiver output, that one mobile player app is happy.

Do I have any input into how JRiver does or can output drive, directory, path info into the .m3u playlist output?  Can JRiver produce that second simple playlist directly?

yoeleven

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 05:08:13 pm »

Here is some info about how I am approaching the question I asked in the subject title.  How do you remove the drive letters and sub-folders that point to your music files, that reside on or in your home personal computing system, but then want to sync with your mobile devices.

I entered this response elsewhere on the internet today.  The idea was not mine.  I found and sometimes site don't like advertising people away to other sites, so I'll just say it wasn't my own crafting, except a little.

Using an Excel code fragment, you can copy the contents of your .m3u file to a column in Excel. In the next adjacent Excel column, copy the code that is listed below and the results indicated will be provided.

Here are my examples of before and after, and the slightly modified excel code, from that article, I used.

My desktop media center software created the an .m3u playlist.  The contents of the playlist is a simple ansi text editable dataset.  It is shown immediately below.  Note, that it includes all the desktop PC drives and sub-folders.  Some of the software players I tested for my mobile devices could not handle that below file structure.  That's the point of the above Excel code.   I will remove the drives and sub-folders info.

J:\NTFS_1\MP3_D\Dan Fogelberg - River of Souls - 08 - A Love Like This.mp3
J:\NTFS_1\MP3_H\Harry Chapin - Verities & Balderdash - 04 - 30,000 Pounds Of Bananas.mp3
J:\NTFS_1\MP3_H\Harry Chapin - Story of a Life, disc 2 - 04 - 30,000 Pounds of Bananas (live).mp3

Here below, is the output of my slightly modified version of the Excel code, that I found in an article:

\Dan Fogelberg - River of Souls - 08 - A Love Like This.mp3
\Harry Chapin - Verities & Balderdash - 04 - 30,000 Pounds Of Bananas.mp3
\Harry Chapin - Story of a Life, disc 2 - 04 - 30,000 Pounds of Bananas (live).mp3

In the case above, for my needs, even the default \Music\ folder was removed.  Now, with the file structure above all 4 mobile software players I have tested work.

For my case, the Excel code looks like:

original code: =CONCATENATE("..\My Music\",TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"\",REPT(" ",LEN(A1))),LEN(A1))))

my code version: =CONCATENATE("\",TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A3,"\",REPT(" ",LEN(A3))),LEN(A3))))

Of course, on the back end, you still need to copy the second Excel column and paste it into a plain text editor, to save your results.  Then, you need to rename the text file from" .txt to: .m3u.

swiv3d

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 05:13:49 pm »

If you look in the sync options you will see a lot of filepaths which you can select.
In the playlists filepath you should put the folder name of the music folder on the machine you are syncing with. In the Audio path you should set up a path which relates to the way you store your music - in your case blank I would think. Then in playlist format choose a playlist with a relative path. This should dump your playlist in your music folder with the correct settings to play correctly (fingers crossed!). Have a look at the options snippet I have attached.
Pages: [1]   Go Up