INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC and Photos  (Read 1664 times)

sraymond

MC and Photos
« on: May 27, 2003, 08:46:18 pm »

Guys,

I'm about ready to give up...  managing photos is just too painful with MC.  I think the biggest limitation is the inability to use the viewable EXIF tags to fill MC database tags - especially the filename and name.

I just got done cleaning about 2000 photos.  Three hours of frustration (I had to start over a few times!) spent mostly trying to remove duplicates and fix data tags has left me weary.  And the UNC path is still a pain when importing.  I'd much rather be proactive than have to reactively fix a problem.

Is anyone using MC to manage a large amount of photos?

I'm thinking that if MC isn't going to add some photo functionality soon, I'll look to buy another application (one that will let me rename based on EXIF tags, add text to photos, group as "albums", and show slideshows).  But I'd be quite disappointed - I was hoping MC would be THE multimedia application.  Who wants to spend another $20 or $30 to manage the photos in a second applicaiton?

Is there anything on the horizon for more photo functionality?  What about filling database tags with EXIF tags?

Sorry for sounding negative...  but I don't know how to put a "positive" spin on this.

Scott-

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: MC and Photos
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 10:28:23 pm »

Hi Scott,

I really understand your frustration on using MC as a photo managing program. I am currently looking for the best way to use it as such. In fact I don't really need MC since I already use another photo managing program but I always comes back to MC as, as you said, it would be nice to use the same program (and same habits and tricks) for both my music and photo collections.

I first tried using custom fields to tag my pictures (people, occasions, etc..) but I think it's not the way to go for pictures. Although this is good with music, it does not apply well to pictures because it ends up with a lot of typing. I 'm now using playlists. With the properties pane opened in the playlist section it makes it easier to categorize photos in a way similar to Photoshop album, imatch or PSP album.
The main problem I found is not really with EXIF but with the date/time system. It has been reported several time on the forum. Unlike Music, photos are mainly organized by date/time taken not by artist / title. For example it should be possible to set view schemes based on month/day/time photo was taken.

At the moment I'm trying to analyze in which way MC could be improved by comparing the managing features of Photoshop Album, Imatch, PSP album and MC on the same database,

will be back later with more informations @ the moment, I must go to work :)

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

nila

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 02:21:27 am »

I definitely agree with this.
Right now I have to use: PIE to rename my files from the EXIF info. After I do this I can then if I want to use MC to get the data but I personally dont want to pay $20 for PIE ontop of the cost of MC and anything else I'd need to use too.

MC currently does not display any of the EXIF data, it does not seem to have any fields filled with useful info from the pictures and the date features in it just do not exist.
The list type is a GREAT way of allowing us to organise images but it's current setup just is totally not useable.
When organising photos, the list type is pretty much essential as things like 'people in picture' need to have multiple enteries and need to be able to be referenced by any item.

Photoshop Album works quite well for managing them. The way they've set it up for dealing with timelines of pictures especially works great and is EXTREMELY intuitive and easy. Searches can be built up in a great way by modifying the timeline and checking boxes. All the different information is on the screen and you can see it all at once and just check one box, see if the results look right and if not then just drag the timeline to narrow the search. If you realise it's including too much extra unwanted photos of someone u just click on their image and choose to subtract them from the results.

It works amazingly and MC has a LOT of work to do to catch up with it in terms of simplicity and ease of use. Extracting EXIF data would be a good start.

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 07:06:27 am »

MC currently does not display any of the EXIF data, it does not seem to have any fields filled with useful info from the pictures and the date features in it just do not exist.

MC does "show" the EXIF data...  for example:
2160 x 1440 - 599.071 KB
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY KODAK DX4330 DIGITAL CAMERA - 12/7/2002 7:40 PM
- F/3.4 - 1/45 sec.
Focal Length: 13.3 mm
Metering: ?
White Balance: ?
Flash: Yes
JPEG Quality:
Orientation: Normal
Exposure Program: Auto
Exposure Bias: 0
Comments:

It's available by toggling though "File Info", "Playlists", etc. to "Format" - but you can't do anything with it.

Thanks for the suggestion of Photoshop Album.  I'll take a look at it.

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 07:12:42 am »

The main problem I found is not really with EXIF but with the date/time system. It has been reported several time on the forum. Unlike Music, photos are mainly organized by date/time taken not by artist / title. For example it should be possible to set view schemes based on month/day/time photo was taken.

Right...  I've been renaming the photos to include the date (i.e. Year-MonthDay-Second" - just so that I can use that to sort and then manually fill a custom field I call "Photo Date".  What a PITA.  And I'm not sure I want to pay $20  for PIE just for the ability to rename the files as an intermediate step.

Scott-

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 08:24:46 am »

Thanks guys.

Keep the suggestions coming.  We'll try to shore this up in the coming weeks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 08:42:15 am »

Cmagic,
It may not work for you, but here's how I organize.

I try to keep things simple.  It may be too simple for some.

I use a view that I added:

Year -- Genre -- Comment

I usually tag just the year and the genre, but sometimes I add a comment to divide the genre more finely.

I use genre for anything, but it is usally a place (Nebraska) or a subject (garden).  

Example:

2003 includes
California
Grasses
Iceboating
JRiver
Nebraska
Prairie
Old farm

If I want to view them, I often use the search (ctrl-F) and type "California" or "California 2001".

I usually don't care whether the pictures were taken in March or in October, but sometimes I will use the month as a comment, just to separate two trips.  Other times, I'll use the month as part of the genre.  "Nebraska - March", for example.

As Matt says, we will improve this, but it isn't crystal clear how to do this yet.  Your efforts in helping are appreciated.  Maybe I can buy you another coffee at the Rostand in the first week or so of July!

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 10:20:07 am »

MC9 is very basic as far as photo management goes.

If you really want to get serious about photos...

* ACDSee 5.01 for managing the photo files... http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Products/index.htm  $50 US (download only).

coupled to

* Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 as the ultimate editor $89 at Amazon.com, Best Buy & elsewhere (works great with ACDSee).

The above combination is simply wonderful... does it all.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Cmagic

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 10:38:44 am »

The above combination is simply wonderful... does it all.

That's right Doc and I also use another app so far to manage my photos (Imatch) but, well, I'd like to see MC as a valuable competitor in the field. Simply because of the guys at JRiver.

Maybe I can buy you another coffee at the Rostand in the first week or so of July!

Thanks, I would certainly appreciate Jim !
See ? I don't think Adobe CEO would offer me a coffee next time he comes to Paris ! :)

I'll return later !

C.
Bob Marley (War)

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 11:00:30 am »

Coffee? Coffee?

Is MC10 going to make coffee?

Now thats the ultimate update!

I need to get a picture of that.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Cmagic

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 11:14:05 am »

Yep, that's a planned feature as well as the ice cube plugin. Maybe in MC12 !

Here is the coffee maker plugin thread -> http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1052000790;start=0#0

C.
Bob Marley (War)
Pages: [1]   Go Up