INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you clear saved file paths in "Rename, Move & Copy Files" dialog  (Read 1436 times)

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen

I have so many old and useless file paths stored in the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" dialog that there is no room for the ones I currently use.

How do you clear all that old data?
I tried the option to reset dialog box questions but that did not help and I saw no other options that seemed to apply.

thanks
I swear I am not here to drive you crazy!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: how do you clear saved file paths in "Rename, Move & Copy Files" dialog
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:37:08 pm »

Do you mean the drop-down Combobox list for the "Base Path" field?

The ability to remember those paths was only added in January.

23.0.94 (1/12/2018)
7. NEW: The base path of the Rename, Move, & Copy Files dialog is a combobox that remembers the last entered paths.

Have you been changing the Base Path a lot, or not using the directory rule to set sub-paths? I muck around on my test system a lot, and I've still only got seven Base Paths remembered.

I would have expected that if there were too many Base Paths already listed that a new Base Path would replace one of the old ones in the list. Maybe JRiver didn't code it that way... I just did some checking, and I see what you mean. MC stores up to ten (10) Base Paths in the Combobox, and then stops adding any more.

I think that should be fixed. MC should store up to a set number of paths, and then drop off older paths as new ones are added. Or maybe better yet, it should be possible to delete unwanted paths from the Combobox.

Anyway, the only way to remove paths from that list that I currently know of is to edit the Registry. If you are confident in editing some complex values, then you will find the remembered paths in;

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 24\Properties

and Value Names;

"Rename From Info - Current" for the current preset or settings

and

"Rename From Info - Presets" for all saved Presets.

Both of those are long strings with carriage returns included, which means that editing them in Notepad or similar and saving them back into the settings doesn't work easily. But I was able to edit out all by two Base Paths in situ in the Registry, so it can be done and works. I only edited the "Rename From Info - Current" setting, so my Presets needed some fixing afterwards.

Just check any Presets, if you use them, after you edit, fix the Base Path, and save them again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:46:02 am »

Hello,

I appreciate the help, but the solution offered is beyond what I wish to attempt.
Quite frankly I'd expect the software to have these capabilities built in.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 11:42:14 am »

Many thanks @ Roderick, this resolved a question I had asked just recently in "Corrupted file paths in 'Copy, Move, Rename' folder list" (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,118514.0.html)...

I had also searched the registry for paths I wanted to remove, but RegEdit seems unable to identify them, perhaps due to multiple lines' format ('carriage returns')...

So the easiest way to edit them is to open the "Rename From Info - Current" string directly in RegEdit, remove any unwanted path (but nothing else! ;-) in the box, click OK to save, and restart MC.
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

swiv3d

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 12:11:43 pm »

Must agree with Abbra Cadabra here, a little clear combobox button would be very useful.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 04:46:42 pm »

It was probably just an oversight when the feature was quickly built earlier this year.

I'm sure something will be offered to automatically remove paths to make space for new ones, or to allow deletion of unwanted paths, my prefered option. Patience.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:33:18 am »

Happy New Year!

Can this be resolved by the developers, Please?

swiv3d

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 10:41:59 am »

I second that request.
and
Happy New Year to everyone.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 11:26:48 am »

Someday in the future this will arrive:
NEW: Added a "Remove All" selection to the path dialog in the Rename, Move & Copy dialog.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

swiv3d

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:35:05 am »

Thanks Matt - it will save me from messing with the registry entries.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 01:56:53 pm »

Someday in the future this will arrive:
NEW: Added a "Remove All" selection to the path dialog in the Rename, Move & Copy dialog.

:::bump:::

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 01:59:52 pm »

It will be in the first builds of MC 25.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

swiv3d

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 02:08:26 pm »

And it works, but it might be more useful if you could select some of the paths and then click remove selected paths. Not a deal breaker though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up