INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does Playing Now viz differ in IE and Chromium, and in MC23, and fails?  (Read 434 times)

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe

I have a custom Playing Now index.html (and related CSS) that displays lots of info about each track, plus cover art. It has worked perfectly for many years. Now in MC24 it does not display as it does in MC23 and earlier, AND it it differs between IE and Chromium, AND if often FAILS with an internal error. Is any of this a normal thing?  ?

My custom Info page started as MC 20's Track Info > Noire, copied into a new folder, then the HTML and CSS reworked, to add fields with various formatting, and to show cover art in a specific size. I have used it since MC20 (and had a prior variation based on MC15), copied its folder and files from MC to MC (I upgrade every year). It always would "just work" in each new MC, never had to tweak it, until now...

I just upgraded my family room Windows 10 PC to MC24-64. That's where the track info Playing Now web page is used, so my first time seeing it in MC24. I see the custom info page and all content, BUT there are unexpected differences in MC24 vs. MC23.

The biggest differences are between IE and Chromium, which adds large margins to the page. Perhaps some CSS is needed to conquer Chromium, but this happens with MC's standard Noire viz too so maybe they can't fix it?

IE works better, BUT... Between MC24 and MC23 there are differences. A chunk of text has a different color, purple in MC24, blue in MC23 (blue is what I intended and has been shown over the years). Text that is intentionally bold is BOLDER in MC24, therefore a tad larger, which affects spacing.

Then there's this FAIL: Often when I start playing a track in MC24, the point where MC should show the Playing Now visualization, it can't. I get a white screen saying "\\about:blank is not accessible"..."The parameter is incorrect". Behind it is the info page just partially rendered. If I stop and restart the track, this usually happens again. OR sometimes when I manually start a track it works perfectly, and shows the proper visualization. And USUALLY, even if the error appears, when MC gets to the next track, the viz page flips back to showing properly. Which makes it seem like a timing error. Why does MC or IE need "about:blank"? Is MC or IE not loading something fast enough? Or what else would cause it to seek an internal page it can't find...then for the next track, FIND THE VERY SAME PAGE?

Possibly some CSS is being misinterpreted and/or differently interpreted by each engine, or possibly overridden...by what? (CSS has a hierarchy that can span multiple files.)

Question: Since both MC24 and MC23, are they using a different version of IE? (Remember, same Windows 10 computer...) That could explain why they show different-sized fonts and different colors? A fun new feature? Or a problem to be resolved? I can't imagine my particular visualization is the only one affected, and its not. In MC's standard Noire viz I see differences, though harder to notice because it is simpler HTML and CSS.

Anyone have a suggestion what to investigate?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC24 text viz differs in web engines, and in MC23, and FAILS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 04:36:08 pm »

The web engines have not changed, especially IE. It just lets the OS do its thing. The version of Chromium was updated along the way, but that should usually not result in drastic rendering differences either.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up