INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: System volume control blocked and disabled by MC  (Read 2233 times)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
System volume control blocked and disabled by MC
« on: December 15, 2018, 07:19:07 am »

I have a media pc where I run other software to play movies, live tv and stuff. It also acts as music server for my whole home by running JRiver Media Server in the background.

The problem is that the JRiver media server running in the background hogs a bunch of remote control key presses from the media programs that are running in the foreground. I have "General -> Advanced -> Translate hot keys when running as Media Server" disabled. And I've tested "Media Key Mode -> Automatic" and also "App Commands" and also "Hot Keys". The only option that worked 100% was setting it to "Media Key Mode -> Disabled". So I set it to "Disabled" to not get murdered by the rest of the family hahaha.

The problem is that when running JRiver in the foreground to play music the volume control doesn't work at all anymore. Everything else I can get to work with the remote's arrow keys, a simulated spacebar press and so on. But volume... nope.

I even disabled volume control in JRiver totally. But it still doesn't let the volume keys on the remote control go to the windows system volume. It's still hogging the key presses even when volume control is disabled. If I had CTRL-PLUS and CTRL-MINUS on my remote this wouldn't be a problem but I don't.

So I can't adjust the volume whatever I do when I want to use JRiver. Did I do something wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: System volume control blocked and disabled by MC
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 07:39:09 am »

Are you using the WDM driver?

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 07:53:32 am »

It's an Asus Xonar Essence ST using Asus own version of C-media drivers with MC using direct sound on Windows 7 (Windows Media Center)

JimH

• Administrator

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:13:37 pm »

That way I won't be able to adjust volume for ANY sound source ;D  Currently it's just when JRiver is in focus the volume can't be changed by the remote control.

But I guess you do have an idea here for solving my problem, I just didn't understand how, sorry  :)  What is your idea?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 03:12:28 pm »

Did you try using Internal Volume?

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 03:20:11 pm »

Yes

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 04:50:12 pm »

Sorry for the short reply, was in a rush.

Since I've set  "Media Key Mode -> Disabled" JRiver (rightfully) totally ignores the remote control volume keys but it still hogs the remote control volume keys instead of just letting the windows system recieve them which would have adjusted windows system master volume which would have been fine.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 05:59:38 pm »

I cannot reproduce that here. In default mode MC will take the volume keys, but as soon as I set Media Key Mode to Disabled, the Volume Media Keys on my keyboard made the Windows Volume Control popup appear, and the system master volume was changed, as one would expect.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 01:24:25 am »

Do you have the Media Server running too?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 03:15:05 am »

Yes.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 05:25:04 am »

Strange.

Windows 7? (To have windows media center with paid subscription DVB-T2 tvchannels...)

Edit: I tried turning off the media server, didn't change anything.

Edit2: Are there different ways of media keys happening in windows? My remote is a Logitech Harmony Companion set up sending the default windows volume keys over bluetooth as a bluetooth hid. Right out of the box with everything as default.

Edit3: JRiver only blocks/hoggs the vol keys when it is in focus. If it's running but focus is on the taskbar or any other program the keys work adjusting system volume. Is there any other setting in JRiver that I should check?

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 08:25:25 am »

Connected a wireless keyboard (Logitech) and it behaves identically. Volume keys do not work at all when JRiver is in focus.

Ctrl-plus and ctrl-minus worked fine with it. To bad I can't make the remote control to send these two key strokes instead...

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 10:17:45 am »

I don't have any input on what the base level issue is.

I just wanted to share that the FLIRC might be useful in your situation.  The FLIRC is a small USB dongle with an IR receiver on it.  It shows up as a USB keyboard.  With the FLIRC software, you can map ANY IR signal to ANY keyboard key.  So you could make your volume keys  on your remote appear as control-(-) and control-(+) if you wanted to.

You'd need to think it all the way through of course and it might involve you mapping a lot of keys.  Not sure.  Just sharing some extra info.

Brian.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 10:22:25 am »

Thanks for the tip. I don't have any IR remotes anymore though. But remapping the ctrl-minus and ctrl-plus keys might be the hack needed to get this working. If JRiver can't be made to behave properly...

krmasson

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 04:14:24 am »

For information, there is another thread running about hotkeys:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=118650.new;topicseen#new
in my case, the hotkeys I am speaking about are the media key "play/pause" and "forward"/"back", and I just use my keyboard.

CM
Pages: [1]   Go Up