INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prob moving files in Explorer after renaming  (Read 1598 times)

wackawacka

Prob moving files in Explorer after renaming
« on: May 27, 2003, 06:24:32 am »

Hi

I have a problem with renaming and moving folders after the contained files have been played in MC.

Here are the proceedings:

I open a new album folder (not imported into the MC yet) in my directory of recent files.

I update the tags in MC and rename the files using the tag info.

Afterwards I go back to the Windows Explorer and play another folder (via right-click menu).

Upon trying to rename the previous folder and move it into the archive folder of my HD I get an error message saying that the files contained in the folder I try to rename are in use.

MC is always the only prog that uses the files in question. I have proved that by closing MC. Afterwards I could easily rename and move the respective folder.

So MC still has files in use it doesn't play anymore and that are not included in any playlist or database.

Is there a setting to overcome this prob? Or is it a bug? I didn't encounter that behaviour in MJ 8. There I could rename folder that had been playing before. After I started playing another folder of course.

Please assist me with this issue because it's really annoying when archiving the stuff in my recent folder.

Thanks
Matt

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Prob moving files in Explorer after renaming
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 08:42:03 am »

If your using the latest build of MC and you do all your file operations within it, then you shouldn't have a problem. You can add folders by opening up the My Computer tree, right clicking on any folder, then selecting "Add Folder".

10-27

wackawacka

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 02:10:02 pm »

Hi,

thanks for the prompt reply. The problem is that i'm so used to do all the tagging and stuff im MC but for the file management i still prefer the explorer way. Don't know why.

Still i'm sure the must be a way to solve that problem and be able to use the explorer for that.

And also, when i try to rename/move suchs folders from within MC it won't work...

Leaves me puzzled - - -

Regards
Matt

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 02:15:58 pm »

yup..

Are you sure your using the latest build ( 178 )? Using Explorer will lead to de-synchronizing. The actual location of your files won't jive with where MC thinks they are.

wackawacka

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 02:35:06 pm »

Hi again,

i was just going to upgrade to the latest build and test it again.

Concerning the point that MC doesn't really care where the files are actually stored i prefer to have a well sorted archive HD which is regularly mirrored.

Plus i use P2P where it very crucial to have a well sorted HD.

And: MJ8 didn't care either
I'll post my further results as soon as i have them ;-)

Regards
Matt

wackawacka

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 02:55:53 pm »

Alright,

now i've installed the latest build 178 and the problem stays the same.

I've fiddled around a bit more and i found that after i renamed files using MC the folders were in use but when i only played a folder without renaming the contained files it was ok. I could rename and move that folder.

It doesn't matter whether playback has been started via the explorer context menu or the MC internal tree (my computer).

It even is possible to move the files after they have been renamed but it's not possible to touch the folder they were in !!?
Pages: [1]   Go Up