INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Date > Date (Release)  (Read 834 times)

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
Date > Date (Release)
« on: December 28, 2018, 08:25:25 pm »

I've never managed the tagged dates on my files very well and have ended up with some Date tags being the year of original release and others as re-release date. eg the latest Bowie box set was release in 2018 so all of the tracks from those have 2018 as the Date. But my Bowie Ryko 1990's re-release of Hunky Dory has the Date set to 1971.

Luckily I've only just noticed the Date (Released) field so am hoping to use this to delineate these 2 years (if different). To set these up initially I started to use Library Tools > Move/Copy Fields copying from Date to Date (Release). Initially this seemed Ok but then when I view/edit the tags in anything other than Media Centre it does not seem to have worked as I expected.

Eg I used this to copy the Date [1984] to Date (Released). It comes up in MC as 1984 but in dbPoweramp or Itunes or MPC it is set to 30682. I assume this is an internal date number system being applied.

Any ideas on a fix for this? as I'd like to perform this initial setup on all 13,000 albums i have in my system.

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Date > Date (Release)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:09:44 pm »

please note that this numbered date format occurs if you manually enter a 4 character year in Date (Release)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:42:44 pm »

Have a look at the field definitions in "Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields". You will see most dates are in "Date" format, which is the numbered format you are seeing. I think MC uses the standard number format that many applications use. i.e. 01-01-1900 is 1 or something like that.

Only the [Date (filename friendly)] field is a simple string. A lot of the Operating System dates are marked as "Unknown", but are actually still recorded in this "Days since 1900" format.

If you want to see what is actually in the fields, create an Expression column in one of your Views, and enter the expression [Date,0]. The ",0" means: Show the raw data.

So, the problem isn't with MC, which is storing dates in a standard and accepted format, but with dbPoweramp, iTunes, and MPC. Maybe you can get them to read the format correctly. It may be a setting. It may be as simple as telling those applications that the field is a Date. Or another solution would be to just stop using those other applications, and only use MC!  ;D

If you really want those other applications to show the date correctly, do some research into storage of dates in applications, and specifically in those. After all, people have been sharing metadata between MC and lots of applications for a long time, and it has always worked. So there must be an easy way to make then work correctly.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

nonightsweats

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 05:15:02 pm »

yes, i assumed it was because the other apps do not treat "Date (Release)" as a date field so thanks for the confirmation. of course for my use this is not so difficult as MC is my player / library but i may want to share a file or 2 sometime in the future so there might be some confusion. i note that the other apps display the "Date" field with the text "Year" so i also assume this is being added to a specific tag ID
Pages: [1]   Go Up