INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some observations regarding audio quality  (Read 680 times)

ssnk

Some observations regarding audio quality
« on: January 02, 2019, 10:02:54 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to MC and to this forum.
I am using MC 24 on my MacBook Pro, to output bitperfect audio (mostly ripped from CD, and some from HDTracks) via USB to my DAC (Benchmark DAC3).

(I had followed the instructions to setup MC on MACOS for bitperfect playback. EXAMPLE: audio > Benchmark DAC2 / Exclusive right to device / No DSP  etc etc)

I recently (Dec 2018) upgraded my MAC OS to the newest version (don't remember the name of OS) and noticed lot more details in the recordings, along with some distortion in higher frequencies (aka listening fatigue).

At first, I wasn't too sure if it was just my mind/ears playing tricks on me, or was there a valid/logical reason for this.
I started to investigate MC settings on my MAC but couldn't see any difference from previous settings (previous to upgrading the OS). I then checked MACOS settings and noticed that 'sound > output' was changed from previous 'Benchmark DAC2' to 'Internal Speakers'. Upon changing it back to 'Benchmark DAC2' the sound returned to previous standards.

I always used to think my previous settings ('sound > output' set to Benchmark....) as very detailed and clear, and had always enjoyed listening my music. But since, now I have heard that additional details/clarity (albeit with distortion), I just can't stop wondering, why MACOS level setting will impact audio feed from MC? And is there any way to get back that clarity, which I now don't have (without the distortion).

I might be missing some setting somewhere I guess.

Can someone help?

Thanks much for your time and support.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some observations regarding audio quality
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 09:18:13 am »

I'm not sure I understand your report.  You say that the Mac preferences for Sound were set to use Internal Speakers.  That would mean that the Mac would play all "default" sounds through the internal speakers.  But I'm guessing you were still hearing audio from MC through your Benchmark DAC and *not* the internal speakers.

If so, MC should be doing what it's supposed to do:  Playing audio through your Benchmark DAC.  It's worth double checking your MC audio settings:

Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > (should be your benchmark DAC and NOT default core audio)
Also check the Audio > Device settings to make sure they look sane, including exclusive access, etc.

The developers might know something about Mac audio processing that might explain your observations.  I don't know of anything that would explain what you report hearing.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up