INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Center Channel output  (Read 751 times)

JoeBoxster

• Recent member
Missing Center Channel output
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:49:15 am »

Hello,

I have posted this issue before and was not provided any guidance. I have many multi-channel recordings in Flac and Dsf. I have found that the center channel is only output externally(AVR) if the file is encoded as 5.1(6 channel). 5 channel and 3 channel recordings show center channel output in the DSP Analyzer, but are not output to my AVR when using the Source Channel output. 5.1 works fine 5.0 does not.

I tried this on Foobar and VLC, they both work fine.

This is when using the WASAPI audio device, using Direct the Center channel is present in both AVR and the Analyzer.

Any Guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Missing Center Channel output
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:03:00 pm »

Hello,

I have posted this issue before and was not provided any guidance. I have many multi-channel recordings in Flac and Dsf. I have found that the center channel is only output externally(AVR) if the file is encoded as 5.1(6 channel). 5 channel and 3 channel recordings show center channel output in the DSP Analyzer, but are not output to my AVR when using the Source Channel output. 5.1 works fine 5.0 does not.
To avoid such errors, I always use 5.1 channel output for all formats.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 04:13:24 pm »

It looks to me that you were provided all the information you needed in your last thread on the topic: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,118419.0.html

i.e. When using HDMI ouput, configure MC to the physical speaker setup you actually have, and MC will take care of the potential channel issues. Don't use “Source Number Channels” as the output in DSP Studio. Use 5.1 always, if that is your physical speaker setup.

Of course, if you want Stereo media to be played in stereo, the MC DSP provides the option to detect stereo and handle it appropriately, as an exception to the above 5.1 configuration.

You also drew the incorrect conclusion:
Got it, so I will assume that WASAPI is an unreliable choice for a one stop HDMI audio device.

WASAPI is fine with the above configuration.

Also take note of the warning Hendrik supplied:
None of those two alternatives are direct hardware interfaces [Direct Sound and Asio4all]. They probably convert the input at some point so that its actually output as 5.1. DirectSound does that for sure.

If you use Direct Sound or ASIO4All, your audio is probably being remixed between MC and output from your PC, which sort of defeats the purpose of using MC to play high-quality audio. You have no control over how Direct Sound remixes the audio, and I assume the same for ASIO4All (I don't have experience with ASIO4All).
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JoeBoxster

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:56:25 pm »

Thanks to you both, much clearer now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up