INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Assistant vs Engen  (Read 2500 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Home Assistant vs Engen
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:58:51 pm »

I've been a happy user of Engen for 6 months or so.  It's rock solid, I don't even think about it, everything works.  There are however things that I want it to do, that seem unlikely to be added at this point.  For example:
  • I have smoke detectors that are Z-Wave, but the only item reported in Engen is the battery %.  I want to be able to see the smoke/ co2 alarm status, if something is triggered, send text messages if I'm not at home.
  • I want to interface to more than Z-Wave.  It seems every powerstrip I see on Amazon now is wifi, not Z-Wave.  I like Z-Wave, but the powerstrip in particular seems hard to find, or far more expensive as Z-Wave.
  • I want the scheduler to trigger on sunset, not time.  IE - turn on porch light after the sunsets.
  • I want a random holiday mode.  At random times, turn on one of 5 lights.  The scheduler is more rigid than this (I think at least).
  • The Harmony remote that has light buttons, I want to turn on my lights.   Harmony is mostly to blame for this, but other systems have ways around it, like building a fake device that Harmony thinks is a Roku.
  • When my heater turns on, I want to turn on the ceiling fans.

Basically, I want more flexibility and this led me to finding Home Assistant.  It's the epitome of flexibility, which is good and bad.  The thing that I love about Engen is that I was able to put it into my house without confusion.  You hit a light switch, the lights turn on - every.single.time.  Right now I have Home Assistant setup around Engen (I added Engen's API as a service).  This isn't great though because that Z-Wave status of devices is slow, HA seems to check every 30 seconds, so you hit a toggle in the HA page and the light turns on, but the status says off for 30 seconds.  There's probably a way to add in Engen's listener, but I think that means quite a bit of Python code to build a custom plugin for Home Assistant. 

Does anyone here use Home Assistant?  Is it as reliable as Engen?  One of my main fears is that it lacks the easy-user part and any integration into Panel would be lost.  Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Home Assistant vs Engen
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 02:16:50 pm »

The Zooz is the best outlet strip I've used:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110810.0.html

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Home Assistant vs Engen
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 02:28:04 pm »

The Zooz is the best outlet strip I've used:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110810.0.html

I got their ZEN15s for a few places and they seem really reliable.  Way better than the aeon aeotec things I had before - those are terrible, I'd never recommend them.  They constantly dropped from the network, I'd hit a button to turn them on and 5 seconds later they would respond.  Sometimes they would never respond and I'd have to crawl on top of a bookshelf to turn off a light physically. 

But that ZEN20 power strip is $85 on Amazon now, while other wifi ones are $25 on Amazon.  I'd invest $85 in a power strip in the right place (where all 5 would be used and turned on/off independently), but I'd rather be able to pick up a $25 device to do the same thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up