INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP presets  (Read 1841 times)

Devanb

• Recent member
DSP presets
« on: January 07, 2019, 12:20:07 pm »

Hello JRiver community!

I just bought my license and this is my first question posted to the forum.

I have many 6 channel DVD audio files intermixed with many HD audio 2 channel files.  When I play a 2 channel file, I set the DSP settings to output dolby digital 5.1.  When I play multichannel audio, I switch to "none" for output and have the pre-amplifier process the raw data. 

How can I have JRiver switch these DSP presets based on the number of channels in the audio file?  The 5 clicks or so between files is distracting when it's shuffling though music.  When the DSP options are set properly, the sound is awesome.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSP presets
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »

I would think you could edit all the files DSP value and enter:
=If(IsEqual([Channels], 2), Dolby, None)

I didn't know the actual names, so I just used Dolby and None.  But hopefully you get the idea.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Devanb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:45:02 pm »

Wow,

Thank you for the quick reply.

If you would so kind as to point me in the direction of which file I should add such text, I would be most appreciative.  I am still using the graphical interface primarily and this looks like a config file somewhere.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 12:47:55 pm »

You just need to edit the DSP field (how you pick a DSP to load).

You can use the list or the tag window.

When you edit, type = at the beginning to let Media Center know an expression is coming.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 01:48:10 pm »

When I play a 2 channel file, I set the DSP settings to output dolby digital 5.1.

Really?  Why would you process your two channel audio into a lossy format?  Just so you can get pseudo-surround and hear it in all channels?  If so, I would think it would be a better idea to let your processor use one of it's pseudo surround modes that turns 2 channel into some form of surround.

Generally speaking, you should mostly keep your output set to the exact number of physical channels you have.  So if you have a 5.1 channel speaker system connected, you should set channels to 5.1 and leave it there.  Your receiver seems to be able to receive 5.1 channel PCM so you should be all set.

If for some reason you really want to switch output channel count or type based on files, then it would seem to me to be a better idea to set up 2 zones and automatically switch between them.  Set up each zone with the correct output channel configuration and name them something descriptive. 

Then write a zone switch rule that switches zones based on the channel count.  Then it should happen automatically.  ...except in a mixed playlist.  If mixed playlists (with different channel counts) are normal for you, then you would need to apply DSP presets to each file. 

But know that applying DSP presets to files is problematic because you need to have DSP preset for every single file.  If you do not, then your last DSP setting will just "stick".  It will not reset to any kind of default.  It will just use the last one that the last file set.  If all files have a preset, you are good to go.  But you have to maintain this as you add new files.

...and all of this is why I think it's a better idea to keep your channel configuration fixed and let your receiver handle the other stuff.

Good luck.

Brian.

Devanb

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:52:31 pm »

The main reason I want to use dolby digital is to employ using my subwoofer.  My mains are good but you feel the music more when the subwoofer participates.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 05:28:22 pm »

The main reason I want to use dolby digital is to employ using my subwoofer.  My mains are good but you feel the music more when the subwoofer participates.

Then just set the DSP Output Format to 5.1 channels, and tick the box "For stereo source, only mix to 2.1", and also probably tick the "Detect stereo source in surround (pseudo-surround)" box. Then select the Subwoofer low pass filter you want to use, which will depend on your Subwoofer capabilities, or personal preference.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Devanb

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 09:29:34 pm »

I would think you could edit all the files DSP value and enter:
=If(IsEqual([Channels], 2), Dolby, None)

I didn't know the actual names, so I just used Dolby and None.  But hopefully you get the idea.

I just wanted to write a post to the other novices who are just becoming introduced to JRiver.

When trying to modify the properties of a particular track or tracks, in Windows jargon, one would right click and select properties and work from there.

In JRiver, this functionality is called a tag.  This is in contrast to something like Google Photos where a tag is typically a list of descriptive labels.

Within Tag, a virtual Pandora's Box opens for every track. 

Regarding this specific thread, I can go to Tag, then open the tab for Advanced, then DSP, and then select a preset.  The great thing is that you can multiselect tracks and set DSP preset using this Tag/Advanced/DSP workflow. 

I still don't know where I can find a list of variables/operators for conditional statements in tag fields.

JRiver is on it's 25th Version.  The experts have incredible knowledge and familiarity with the program.  Beginners like me, I imagine, have difficulty with the terms and the navigation.

I thank all of you for the forum.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:46:39 pm »

Thanks for posting that.

You might find more of what you need in this wiki topic:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Expression_Language

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 11:19:43 pm »

I'm trying to do something similar, but it isn't working for me. I have Stereo (for music, two output channels) and Surround (for video, 7.1 channels). I'm just setting the desired preset in the DSP tag (no expression), but it is not always getting applied. Sometimes, it takes a couple plays.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 01:13:02 am »

Try this, but with 7.1 as the DSP Output Format, and the Subwoofer set to Silent, if you don't want to use it for stereo.

Then just set the DSP Output Format to 5.1 channels, and tick the box "For stereo source, only mix to 2.1", and also probably tick the "Detect stereo source in surround (pseudo-surround)" box. Then select the Subwoofer low pass filter you want to use, which will depend on your Subwoofer capabilities, or personal preference.

It is the simplest solution, and if it works as you wish, the easiest to set up and maintain. Assuming you are outputting PCM via eight channels normally, and just want to output two channels for stereo. Unless you are using some other DSP processing for either format; PEQ, channel Mapping, Headphones, etc.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 03:07:42 pm »

Bump. This is still broken.
Pages: [1]   Go Up