INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 separate NASs corrupted  (Read 1366 times)

sbdallas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My only friend is a goat.
2 separate NASs corrupted
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:33:52 am »

I have a pair of NASs (Netgear ReadyNas 214s) on which I keep my movies and TV shows.  Well, I had 1, but about 2 weeks ago, I was tagging some files with MC24 and I got an alert that the filesystem was corrupt and had been put into read-only mode.  I bought another NAS and filled it with drives, then spent several days running a backup job which duplicated the data.  The second NAS was corrupted today while tagging files.  I'm now copying all the data back to the original NAS so I don't lose anything.  Netgear does not offer much documentation detailing how to get their OS out of read-only mode.  The prevailing recommendation seems to be to backup data, and reformat, which I did, but I can't keep running 4-day copy jobs if MC24 is messing up the filesystem.

I can't prove that MC24 caused the corruption, and I'm not trying to point fingers, but it was actively working on the data at the time of both incidents.  This is a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this?
Scott

I finally stopped drinking for good.
Now I drink for Evil.

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: 2 separate NASs corrupted
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:39:42 am »

I am not specifically familiar with Netgear's products but have experience with other hardware/software ...

First, when a storage setup goes into "read-only mode" this usually indicates (1) that the storage is using some form of RAID and (2) that the storage setup is in a degraded state (failed drive, SMART signals almost failed drive, time-outs, controller issues, etc.). Avoiding writes helps reduce chance of data loss and, frankly, is a hard-to-ignore signal that there is a problem.

Second, it should be practically impossible for software to directly cause this condition in a well designed storage system. Software might heavily access the storage device but heavy filesystem access is ok if not expected. This is akin to user-mode software crashing an OS.  Heavy use can expose problems just as high CPU load can expose driver/thermal problems.

What OS are you using?

It looks like Netgear supports various RAID (0/1/5/6/10). Do you know which you are using? All 4 bays filled?

This could a bad or incompatible drive. When you rebuilt, did you use brand new drives?

Are your drives regular internal HDDs or are they the kind intended for RAID?

It's usually a bad idea to use "regular" drives for RAID. The reason is primarily related to error recovery. Non-RAID drives are configured to try really hard to read your data in the event of read/ECC errors. This can actually run into seconds. If used in RAID, this triggers time-outs and makes the RAID think the drive is bad. Drives intended for RAID have TLER (Time-Limited-Error-Recovery) and do not "try very hard" to recover a read. The RAID will recover the data and rewrite the block.

sbdallas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 11:47:38 am »

My desktop OS is Win 10-64.  The NAS OS is Netgear OS 6 (Ithink think this is built on Linux, but I don't know specifics).

All 4 drives are new 8TB WD Red drives and the system is in a RAID5 configuration.

Of course you are right about the software issue.  It should be impossible for a disk write like that to cause an issue.  I have, however, had problems with MC's lazy writes.  It caused a bunch of file collisions earlier today.  I think that may have made me predisposed to blaming MC.
Scott

Now I drink for Evil.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 12:06:55 pm »

I have just tested by writing tags to my netgear NAS which is raid configured and no problems occurred - in fact I am currently listening to some tracks from it.

sbdallas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 12:09:21 pm »

I have just tested by writing tags to my netgear NAS which is raid configured and no problems occurred - in fact I am currently listening to some tracks from it.

I had a bunch of successful writes before I had the one that locked up the NAS.  It only takes one.
Scott

Now I drink for Evil.

swiv3d

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 12:15:23 pm »

I have been writing tags etc to my NAS for the last 4 years and haven't come across that problem - but I did have a dodgy WD drive in the NAS early on which caused some problems. You should log into your NAS and check the volume status for your drives looking for any errors listed in the smart records.

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 12:24:07 pm »

A NAS handle's its own file system. From 10000 feet, the clients simply say write this data to that file. It's up to the NAS to maintain the filesystem. It ~really~ shouldn't be possible for the client to inadvertently or even purposely corrupt the filesystem.

Does NetGear have an internal NAS log? 

Were you updating 1000s of tags (i.e. a high load) or just normal use?

sbdallas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 01:28:30 pm »

I was updating an entire tv series.  I forget which one, but even a big one would have less than around 250 items.  I found the errors in the log...

Code: [Select]
Jan 09 10:03:06 Corvus kernel: BTRFS: error (device md127) in btrfs_commit_transaction:2241: errno=-5 IO failure (Error while writing out transaction)
Jan 09 10:03:06 Corvus kernel: BTRFS info (device md127): forced readonly
Jan 09 10:03:06 Corvus kernel: BTRFS warning (device md127): Skipping commit of aborted transaction.
Jan 09 10:03:06 Corvus kernel: BTRFS: error (device md127) in cleanup_transaction:1864: errno=-5 IO failure
Jan 09 10:03:06 Corvus kernel: BTRFS info (device md127): delayed_refs has NO entry

I have not found what error number -5 is yet...
Scott

Now I drink for Evil.

swiv3d

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 01:48:18 pm »

Looking on the netgear site a number of people are having this problem after updating with OS 6.9.2

Here is an example
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Readynas-204-v6-9-2-Read-only/m-p/1512975
Pages: [1]   Go Up