INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy Control CD's?  (Read 2250 times)

brainsoup

• World Citizen
  • Sexy! No No No...
Copy Control CD's?
« on: May 24, 2003, 05:14:10 am »

OK.... I'm annoyed... not with anything that Media Center has done... no thats all lovely  8)
What I'm annoyed with is quite different....
I bought Placebo's new album off the internet which is a good thing.
The Bad thing is that the CD has darn copy control on it. GRRG! Now I can't add it to my Media Center library cos MC does not recognise it as an audio CD. Even playing it on a PC with the built in player sounds horrible (it sounds all spiky and actually hurts your ears... )
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this CD into MP3 format? I'd appreciate any ideas at all.... please

-Chris

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Copy Control CD's?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 08:03:58 am »

Well there is one way that I know of: Record it with XP's built in recorder or Total Recorder (about $20 I think) via the analog line-in where you can hook up an audio CD-player. The result is not so bad. Lot of work though, so I don't know if it's worth it.

gkerber

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 08:20:06 am »

What are we all going to do if the music industry ever does figure out how to copy protect all music so it won't work with MC?

I know we can do an analog copy, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a digital system.  I guess I'll have to give in and do it anyway....

brainsoup

• World Citizen
  • Sexy! No No No...
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 08:37:30 am »

It really is annoying... was thinking of an analogue method (using MC's Record Sound) but it just is going to take lots of time... especially if they do start doing this to all CD's....
I dont know why the record companies are actually doing this... it seems kind of pointless... if people want to copy things then they are just gonna do it anyway... it only needs one person to copy a CD via analogue and then distribute it... and I'm sure that more than one person will... I always buy my CD's but will be less tempted if I cant actually get them into Media Center... I use this program ALOT... I hardly listen to CD's anymore... GRRG!!!!
I've heard that some copy control systems have been cracked... some with the use of a marker pen and such... does anyone know anymore about this or not?

gkerber

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 09:12:40 am »

It will always be a game of cat and mouse, they come up with one thing, someone breaks it, and they come up with something else.  

The marker thing did work for a while, but I'm sure that method of copy protection is no longer being used.

The music companies had to insure the cd's play in all cd players, but are not rippable by computer readers.  I wonder how the home audio cd recorders will fare in all this?

And if they play in normal cd players but not cd burners, then the issue is some hardware difference, I'm sure we can count on hardware being available which will mimic the cd players but allow ripping.  Each player must still read a digital stream off the cd.  We may have to buy seperate cdrom's and cd rippers, I can live with that.

I do emphasize with the music companies.  They know (we all know) that the music is being pirated, which reduces their sales.  And musicians don't work for free, just like I won't develop software for free.  Just because it's possible to steal music without penality, does not mean it's okay to do so.

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 10:59:24 am »

I hardly listen to CD's anymore...

Another example of how the industry is out of touch with the consumer. They are trying to make it so you can only hear the music if you play the cd in a cd player while my goal is to never have to put another one of my cds in a cd player.

And if they play in normal cd players but not cd burners, then the issue is some hardware difference

My simple understanding of the difference is basically that a cd-rom drive is less forgiving of errors on the disc. So the drive chokes when it encounters the copy protection data because it is seen by the drive as an error.

Rob

LisaRCT

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2003, 11:09:34 am »

Is error-correction a software or hardware function?

rocketsauce

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2003, 04:10:21 pm »

I believe it's a function of the hardware/firmware of the device. I'm not sure a ripping program could tell the cd-rom drive to ignore the "errors". Don't quote me on this, though. :)

Rob

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 05:05:06 am »

I don't. Any industry that insists its customers have to do things their way should die the death that the market would dictate.

Instead, we get the U.S. making draconian laws to allow the media giants to crush innovation.

And, if I read correctly, there is a bill under consideration that will allow the media companies to create viruses targeted at "pirates". I'm sure they will be immune to damages if their bullet goes astray.

I have a different take on their falling revenues. They have no real talent that people want to buy again and again. How many rap CDs does one need? Boy bands? Teen tarts? They have catered to 12 year olds and wonder why sales are down.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I do emphasize with the music companies.  They know (we all know) that the music is being pirated, which reduces their sales.  And musicians don't work for free,

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2003, 05:24:37 am »

Hi brainsoup,

in the meantime try EAC (exactaudiocopy), it has a manual TOC (Table of Content) detection feature that works quite well with several copy control systems.
Fooling the operating system by scrambling the CD TOC is one of the most common copy protection scheme.
If EAC fails, total recorder or MC recorder through the PC line-in are other solutions.

Of course this is just a tip for you to enjoy your legally acquired music in the way you like. With JRMC9. ;)

C.

Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

brainsoup

• World Citizen
  • Sexy! No No No...
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2003, 09:36:18 am »

in the meantime try EAC (exactaudiocopy), it has a manual TOC (Table of Content) detection feature that works quite well with several copy control systems.

Can I just say that you are a legend!!!! IT WORKED!!!! I'm so happy!!! I wonder if MC will ever look towards implementing a feature like this....?

I'm just so pleased that I didn't have to go through the fuss of connecting my stereo to my PC....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

-Chris

currently listening to Bulletproof Cupid By Placebo in MC from a copy controlled CD - with a little help from EAC!!!!

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2003, 11:15:28 am »

Chris,

Can I just say that you are a legend!

Well...., yes, you can say it ! ;D
I'm a legend ! great, I'm gonna tell my mum, its mother's day today in France, she'll be proud !!

Glad it helped you !

Chris.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2003, 12:46:59 pm »

Another important point is, always return copy-protected discs and demand your money back. It's the only way the industry will find out how strongly users feel about this.
If the shop tries to tell you you can't return it, bring up the point that a copy protected disc isn't a CD. It violates the CD-DA standard and so technically shouldn't be advertised as a CD.

gkerber

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2003, 02:15:18 pm »

I think I read somewhere that these discs will no longer claim they are a "cd' in the fine print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up