INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simultaneously ripping to two external drives  (Read 781 times)

yaklulu

Simultaneously ripping to two external drives
« on: January 12, 2019, 05:50:36 am »

I am considering using JRiver as the software to use to rip my CD collection to FLAC files.

Does anyone know if it is possible to rip to two external drives at the same time, so that I always have backed up/mirrored copy?

If this is possible, then this would be ideal!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Simultaneously ripping to two external drives
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 05:43:39 pm »

So you are asking about making two copies of every rip.  One on drive A and one on drive B.  Correct?  You are NOT trying to rip 2 CDs at one time from two different CD drives.

If it's two copies as I think, then I don't think MC can do this.  At least not in a single step.  The Rename Move and Copy files tool (part of MC) could probably be used in a multi step procedure, but I wouldn't do that either.  I would make copies externally with a program designed to do that.  In fact, that's exactly what I do with my music and video collections.  I have a script that I run periodically that makes mirror copies of all of my media.  It does so incrementally, so it only copies new or changed files.  This makes it run in a short time, as opposed to making a full copy each time, which would take a very, very long time.

While I use a script, you could certainly use a graphical tool to do incremental copies.

Brian.

yaklulu

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 06:30:04 am »

Thanks Brian,
That’s exactly what I needed to know.
I am not a coder in any way, shape or form so it would be great to know if there is an existing third party piece of software, that could do the mirroring for me automatically.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 10:22:21 am »

I have seen this graphical sync utility:

https://freefilesync.org/

I have only used it a TINY bit.  Check it out.  It may or may not do what you want.  Be careful with it's options.  The "mirror" option can be dangerous because it will delete files on one of the disks.  Read up.  Do some tests.  Evaluate.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up