INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panel connection from outside network (VPN installed on router)  (Read 1204 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Panel connection from outside network (VPN installed on router)
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:46:47 pm »

My VPN provider says this should work, but no joy so I thought I'd ask here.  My public IP stays the same unless I have to reconnect to the VPN for some reason. I've opened the port (in my case 52196). Outside connection (via MC access key) works great if VPN is off, but when I turn it on no joy.  I've tried re-registering for a new access key while the VPN is on, but still doesn't work.  Thoughts? Maybe this won't work with VPN on the router?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Panel connection from outside network (VPN installed on router)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 01:50:06 pm »

Firewall?

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 01:59:04 pm »

Hmmm..  I'll check.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 02:15:43 pm »

There is a firewall, but when I did an open port check it said 52196 was closed when the firewall was either set to disabled or enabled.  I guess I need to figure out how to open the port 1st and then it should work.  Thanks.....

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 06:20:05 pm »

So you have a VPN installed on the router. Which means the router is running a VPN End Point, correct?

Which means that any PC connected via the VPN to the router End Point is effectively on your home LAN.
Which means that the PC connected via the VPN to the router End Point should have an IP address supplied by the DHCP server on your LAN, in the address range used on your LAN. Does it?

You should be able to ping the PC running MC just as if you are on your LAN, using a Windows Command windows and the simple "ping 192.168.xxx.xxx" or whatever address range your DHCP server uses. Can you?

If the above conditions work, try accessing Panel via the MC Server LAN IP Address directly, rather than using the Access Key method. Something like;
http://192.168.xxx.xxx:52196/Panel/#/browse

Note:
You don't need to open the MC Server port if you will always be using the VPN connection to access Panel.
I'm pretty sure Panel uses more than just one port number anyway. But I guess if it works without the VPN and 52196 opened, and forwarded to the MC Server I presume, then Panel must be opening any other ports required from within your LAN, just like any request to the internet from inside the LAN opens ports as required for the requesting process.
There will be a firewall on the MC Server as well as on the router. But if you can connect to Panel while connected to your LAN at home, then that firewall should also allow you to connect to Panel when using the VPN.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:13:29 am »

As a general rule Panel connects on port 52199 (not 52196)..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:26:56 am »

I thought that issue was fixed, and other ports could be used for Panel now. But then, I can't see any record in the Release Notes of the change, so maybe it hasn't been fixed yet.

So, try 52199 then badger.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 04:43:15 pm »

When you say your VPN provider said it should work does that mean they have opened and / or enabled port forwarding over the VPN or just that this functionality is available?

You still may need to configure this on a VPN interface if they have not already.

Pages: [1]   Go Up