INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC9 causes XP to crash at start up  (Read 1861 times)

gigijoey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MC9 causes XP to crash at start up
« on: May 25, 2003, 01:37:27 pm »

hi - hope that someone can help - I have searched the archives but cannot find an answer

I am trialling MC9 and though it works fine, since I installed it, win xp crashes on startup & needs F8 to access supported startup. I have to restore to the day of instal for it to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thank - gigjoey ?
Media Center 9.0.175 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 929 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 121 MB, Free - 40 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

LisaRCT

Re: MC9 causes XP to crash at start up
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 02:12:28 pm »

HI
I have been using MC9 with Windows XP for months with no problems, especially none such as you are describing.
I would try uninstalling or doing your restore, then reboot and run the scandisk/defrag routines.
You may want to run your system a few days to insure it is 'bug-free' before reinstalling MC9 so as to help isolate the problem.
After that reinstall MC9 and see where you wind up.
I expect you will be OK as there is no XP-MC9 compatibility issue that I have noticed whatsoever.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 02:18:29 pm »

Your PC might be a little low on memory for XP to be happy.

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Don't worry, I'm always like this!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 02:55:23 pm »

I've never heard of a computer trying to run XP on so little memory, especially when also running an application as big as Media Center. But Media Center could also be partly to blame for your problems. I have 1 GB of memory and still find that Media Center is unreliable. Of all the applications I run, it is by far the least stable. It crashes quite frequently while playing MP3 files, at the drop of a hat (e.g., it might shut down when I do nothing more than open a text file). The latest version is among the worst in this regard, even though it supposedly fixed the crash while paused bug.
From the desk of: wonmug

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 03:20:22 pm »

>> I've never heard of a computer trying to run
>> XP on so little memory
I think Minimum Is 128Megs is minimum but Windows XP will run In 64Megs Per The Windows XP Pro Box

Min Should Be 256megs, 512Megs If You Want It To Work Correctly
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 04:20:38 pm »

I've never heard of a computer trying to run XP on so little memory, especially when also running an application as big as Media Center. But Media Center could also be partly to blame for your problems. I have 1 GB of memory and still find that Media Center is unreliable. Of all the applications I run, it is by far the least stable. It crashes quite frequently while playing MP3 files, at the drop of a hat (e.g., it might shut down when I do nothing more than open a text file). The latest version is among the worst in this regard, even though it supposedly fixed the crash while paused bug.

If you find problems that you can document clearly, we'd like to hear about them.  I took a quick look at your recent posts and didn't see any reports.  Maybe I've missed them.

A crash on opening a text file is not an MC problem.  It could be a Windows problem or a driver problem.

Updating your video driver might help.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 04:47:09 pm »

It Is Prob Due To Memory

But Make Sure You Do Not Have Media Scheduler Or Media Server Loading Up When You Reboot Windows.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Don't worry, I'm always like this!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 06:44:11 pm »

If you find problems that you can document clearly, we'd like to hear about them.  I took a quick look at your recent posts and didn't see any reports.  Maybe I've missed them.

A crash on opening a text file is not an MC problem.  It could be a Windows problem or a driver problem.

Updating your video driver might help.
If it's a Windows problem, why is it that only MC crashes and never any other program? I run News Rover, Website Watcher, my email program, a Web browser and several other programs, including other MP3 players. The only one that quits is MC. I would like to send you detailed information about the crashes. Can you tell me where to look for error logs? (The brief error reports in the event viewer don't seem to have enough detail to be helpful, but they all say MC has crashed.)
From the desk of: wonmug

gigijoey

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2003, 01:38:53 am »

thanks to everyone for such quick replies. I accept what you say about memory - infact I will get anothe 128M for my toshiba laptop ! it's so cheap at the moment.

I do use the media scheduler a lot and will check it out - infact it does seem  to happen after using scheduler to do some late night recording.

thanks again & i'll try your suggestions. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up