INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video files tag  (Read 625 times)

gutierez

• Recent member
Video files tag
« on: January 19, 2019, 05:34:41 am »

Please, allow writing tag also in video files

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Video files tag
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 06:19:53 am »

not all files accept tags....tell us what type of files your talking about....your to brief with your description!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 08:26:55 am »

Writing tags to video files is rather complicated, and in many cases would even require re-writing the entire file to make room for the tags. On top of that, there is no "generic" tagging format for Videos like audio has ID3, for example.
Due to all these problems, and the risks involved, we don't currently plan to implement that in the short term.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:35:24 pm »

Well there you go!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 01:20:58 pm »

It's interesting because this topic was one of my early posts back in 2015 about MC21. The essence was the opposite -- to never tag videos. MC tags wmv files because, if I recall, it uses Microsoft's interface and tagging came for free. I was hoping even this would be removed.

For me inserting metadata directly into video files would be a nightmare scenario:

(1) Video files are large: If I choose to change the Series name for 150x 2GB episodes 
     (1a) This will take minutes? more? instead of seconds
     (1b) It will likely mean I have a 300GB backup instead of 3MB of sidecars
     Heaven help me if I choose to re-analyze audio.

(2) Anytime a file is edited there is chance of corruption. Do I try and play everything to spot-check that nothing went wrong (before the next backup)? If side-cars go bonkers I can refetch and rebuild metadata for a series in a hour so why risk corrupting media which I painstakingly ripped, encoded, and verified. I have always been a bit bemused that audiophiles go through monumental cost and effort to create beautiful playback environments yet seem comfortable with software modifying their pristine lossless media just to insert ID3 tags.

I don't know if anyone else has similar concerns. For my core library, I think side-cars are perfect -- per file, persistent, editable metadata external to the media.

Pages: [1]   Go Up