INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Install  (Read 2013 times)

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
Portable Install
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:05:23 pm »

Hi,

I just tried a portable install version on my external HDD wich also have my library.
When installing the program asking for rum MC now and so i loaded a couple of albums, when closing down the program there is no way to make it run again. When trying to create a shortcut it do not opens the version that is on the external drive it opens the version on my regular computer.
I would like the portable version on my external drive to start up when I'm power up windows. If that not possible I would like a specific shortcut so I can choose either I would like to run the verson on my computer or external drive.
Is there any fix for this?
The reason is that I would like just plug in the external HDD to any computer of my choice like in office etc. without have a full version on every computer.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Portable Install
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:18:39 pm »

Create a Shortcut to the portable version on the external drive, and use that to start it. Use the shortcut to your PC version of MC to work out what is required in the shortcut you create.

I doubt very much that a portable version could be started with Windows. At least not using MC settings. You would need to set up a task in Windows Task Manager, or set up a Windows startup item manually, using the link you just created on the external HDD.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 04:11:45 am »

Hi,

Thank you for answering, I tried to create a shortcut but can't figure out how to do it as I need to create a folder on my external. Looking to all the icons there is no one working as a shortcut. Can you tell me how to?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 05:54:26 am »

I haven't installed a portable version and I'm not going to, so I don't know exactly where the MC executable for the Portable version is on the external drive to advise where to point a shortcut. You will need to find that yourself. Search the external drive for the file "Media Center 24.exe". That is the file that the shortcut needs to point to.

But simply, you copied a shortcut earlier, but it pointed to the wrong place. Use that copied shortcut, or make another one, move it to the root directory of your external drive, then right-click on it and select Properties, then edit the information in the Target field so that it points to the Portable MC executable on the external drive.

It won't give you an icon. It will give you a file. But if you change Windows Explorer to view files as thumbnails for the root directory of the external drive, or where you copied the shortcut to, it will look and work like an icon. Once you have a shortcut you will run the portable version of MC by opening the external drive with Windows Explorer, and double-clicking on the new shortcut.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there is already a shortcut on the external drive to run the portable version. Have you looked for a shortcut there?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 07:00:38 am »

Well I have looked around everywhere to find that icon but no success, anyone know how to?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 07:30:55 am »

You have an icon to run the version of MC on your PC's hard drive, right?

Copy that. Paste it into the root directory of your external drive. Edit its properties to look at the executable for the Portable installation. Display that directory as thumbnails. Done.

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 06:24:03 pm »

Tried it but not working,, still opens my regular version and not the portable one.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 09:22:07 pm »

Make sure you shut down your regular version completely before trying to open the Portable version. Including the Media Server in the System Tray, if you have that starting with MC.

If that doesn't make it work, take a look at this image. Assume that your external drive is Z: As I said, I don't know where the "Media Center 24.exe" is actually placed on the external drive, but you need to point the shortcut to that executable on the external drive.

Blue Boy

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 04:55:39 am »

Hi again,

Thank you for your inputs and your help. I found out what was wrong I don't know what version of Windows you use I'm on win 8.1 so the image you provided do not look the same as mine. Anyway, the problem was this:  I use two HDDs one wich I named Work and the other one Stereo so they backup each other, one at my office P.C to rip, tag etc. and the other is used for my Hifi system to play music. To know what drive I use at the moment when both are connected to the same computer for copying etc. is the reason I named them Work and Stereo
Both have the same content as I copy the finished music to "Stereo" but now the "Stereo" have a portable install. The problem was that it is not possible to use the word "Stereo" to create a shorcut so I deleted that word and now it is only (G:) (E:) don't know why there is two direction but the computers drive have a partition so it uses C: and D:
The reason I want a portable install is that I don't have a screen in the room I have my Hifi gear just a computer a DAC and this HDD.
So now I can take the "Stereo HDD" to the mentioned computer and create playlist and do other things I might want to do.
Anyway I'm up and running. So thank you big time for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up