INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference between MC users and OS-X users  (Read 1038 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Difference between MC users and OS-X users
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:34:29 pm »

On my Mac Mini, I've set up two USER accounts: Me (administrator) and Family (restricted).  The Me account is for me to use the computer and I've given myself read/ write access to all folders.  The Family account is for everyone else in the house and has read only access to most folders.

When I start my computer and log in as Me, I can see my new Library (New Library) when I open Files -> Library.

However, when I start my computer and log in as Family, I cannot see my new Library (New Library) when I open Files -> Library.  I can only see the old, original library, Main Library.

Is there a way to get MC to recognize other users in the operating system?  I did read the Users article in the Wiki, but I don't want to create another MC user in order to display or hide files.  I want other people in my house to be able to log into this computer with limited rights and have full read access to the library.

blgentry

Re: Difference between MC users and OS-X users
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 01:09:14 pm »

You probably need to move the database files to a folder somewhere that everyone has read/write access to.  Generally speaking MC creates it's database files (which we call the Library) in the original user's home directory, buried kinda deep in a JRiver folder.

I would probably recommend cloning your library and specifying the location for this new clone to be on a common drive or folder somewhere.  Maybe make a /JRiver folder and give it world read/write permissions?

I've never done this, so you might have to experiment a bit and see if it works out for you.

Brian.

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 08:11:30 pm »

Interesting. 

Rather than a clone, can I ask MC to store my library in a different, user-specified folder?  If I make a clone into a public folder, then every time I make a change to my library I'd have to reclone it to keep both current. 

I think keeping my LIBRARY in a public folder would be OK.  What I worry about is one of the many people that has access to my computer making a mistake and corrupting or deleting my media files.  I can always rebuild a library (or recover it from a back-up).  Recovering media files is a whole different matter.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 06:46:41 am »

Yes, you should make your main library be located in a publicly accessible area.  I suggested a clone because it's an exact duplicate that you can tell MC to put in a specific place.  I do not think you can instruct MC to move a database; only copy it with the clone function.  You would then switch to the clone permanently for all users.  Assuming it works well.

As for corruption and deletion, these are possibilities when you share data files.  As you seem to be implying, you can make your data files read only for the other users and read/write for you.  That should make the data files safe.  Your library (database) can still get trashed, but it has backups made frequently.

I recall that you have been in the process of making a backup of your media files.  Your process for this should be something you can do once a week (or more) if you want.  That way you do it a lot and will always have a good backup.  If you don't, you will probably eventually lose something.

Good luck.

Brian.

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 08:51:06 am »

Thanks again, Brian.  I'll try cloning to some public folder.

Actually, with help from you and RoderickGI I have completed my library clean-up and created a full back-up on another external USB hard drive.  I have my rsync protocol figured out, so my two drives are pretty well synced.  My next step is to use the AUTO or AUTOMATE utility to create a weekly rsync schedule.  Now that everything is cleaned up I can even use RM&C for what it was intended to do.  Works well, as you said.

All that said, I'm goofing around with user accounts on my Mac not only to try to protect my data files but just so I'll know how they work.  A little continuing education, you know.  But if I can also protect my data files, then that will be one less reason a back-up would be necessary (not that I'll stop keeping a back-up).

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 05:11:20 pm »

Yes, you should make your main library be located in a publicly accessible area.  I suggested a clone because it's an exact duplicate that you can tell MC to put in a specific place.

I tried creating a new folder to house a cloned library.  But when I tried to clone my library, MC wouldn't allow me to <browse> to the new folder location.  MC would only let me <browse> within my "home" folder (in this case /Users/Jack/Documents/JRiver), nowhere on the computer outside that folder.  I haven't had any luck <browsing> to /Users/Jack/Public/ which is the only place I think I can share files between users on my Mac.

This all may be moot because I haven't figured out how to give other uses on my Mac read-only access to various folders.  Everyone has read/ write access.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 07:06:22 pm »

I tried creating a new folder to house a cloned library.  But when I tried to clone my library, MC wouldn't allow me to <browse> to the new folder location.  MC would only let me <browse> within my "home" folder (in this case /Users/Jack/Documents/JRiver), nowhere on the computer outside that folder.  I haven't had any luck <browsing> to /Users/Jack/Public/ which is the only place I think I can share files between users on my Mac.

Look at the top of the dialog box.  There's a pull down list that shows your currently selected folder.   Pull down the list and it will let you "back up" to previous folders, all the way down to the base of the computer.  From the base you can select any drive you want, internal or external.  Just back up enough levels to get to where you want to go, then drill down from there.

This all may be moot because I haven't figured out how to give other uses on my Mac read-only access to various folders.  Everyone has read/ write access.

You might want to look up a tutorial on this.  Generally speaking, it's as easy as:
Go to Finder and right click on the folder you want to change.  Select "get info".  This will show you a bunch of stuff, including permissions at the bottom.  Down there in the permissions area, you can add or remove permissions for users or groups.  You might have to click on the lock icon to "unlock" this ability (which will require your password).  All of this assumes you have administrative rights on your Mac, which you probably do.

Good luck.

Brian.

macdonjh

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 01:17:12 pm »

Thanks, Brian.  I saw the dialog box.  I've cloned my New Library into a folder /Users/Shared/Media Center/Family Library.xml (or whatever extension it will be).  I'll see if that gives everyone access.

As to read/write protection, as we've been talking about via PM, that may be a consequence of my setting up my external hard drives in exFAT rather than letting OS-X do it.  I didn't consider read/write protection when I did that.  I figured protection was at the operating system level and it wouldn't matter how the disc is formatted.  Something like, "OS-X, I want you to prevent User X from writing anything to folder /Volumes/USBdrive/".  I guess I expected OS-X to act like Old Yeller and protect anything on my property without prejudice.

Your suggestion to have my "main" external USB drive formatted by OS-X and my back-up USB drive formatted in exFAT may be the answer.  I could use the back-up USB drive if I had to read or copy files to a Windows computer and have read/write protection on my main USB drive.

I think I can test that.  My old video files are stored on a different external USB drive that I think I let OS-X format.  I'll reconnect it and find out how it's formatted and see if I can set up read/write permissions for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up