INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a Smartlist that randomizes complete albums  (Read 716 times)

sg60

• Junior Woodchuck
Creating a Smartlist that randomizes complete albums
« on: January 27, 2019, 03:31:42 pm »

I could use some help here. I've created lots of smartlists before but I think this is a situation where my ambition exceeds my skill level.

Here's what I want to do. I have a portable player with a 128GB storage card. I want to put a bunch of complete albums on the card but I have many more albums than will fit on the card. So I thought what if I create a playlist with a full list of complete albums to draw from and then create a smartlist that would use the first one as a source but randomly pick complete albums from the first list to store on the card. The second smartlist would have to be limited to the capacity of the storage card.

Is this possible and how would I do it?

swiv3d

Re: Creating a Smartlist that randomizes complete albums
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:56:30 pm »

Don't know how you would do that but how about-

[Media Type]=[Audio] ~limit=300,1,[album] ~a ~s=128000

Which will pick 300 single tracks from your library, 1 per album, then expand them to full albums and limit the total size to 128GB

You can alter the 300 number depending on the size of your average audio file.

sg60

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 04:20:18 pm »

That actually works really well. Thank you!

In the interest of understanding this better, do you know if there are any resources available regarding using the code to create Smartlists? Until now I've just used the wizard but it feels like the possibilities are greater if you can learn how to utilize the code.

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 04:35:13 pm »

Search the wiki for expression language and the like. Here is a good place to start:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Search_Language
It really is a case of going through the wiki and any examples you can find in the forums. Then have a bash at some easy ones and gradually make them more complex. I'm still at the beginners stage!

sg60

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 07:08:40 pm »

That’s good advice. Thanks for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up