INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyzing Optical Disc freezes MC  (Read 906 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Analyzing Optical Disc freezes MC
« on: January 27, 2019, 05:43:20 pm »

Using MC 24.74.

When I have MakeMKV and MC open, then insert a DVD, MC starts to analyze the disc but never stops. MC freezes and I have to restart my computer. It doesn't happen with blu-rays. This happens every time, so I have to shut down MC when switching discs.

In the past in this situation my drive just made horrible grinding noises until MC was done doing its thing. I have a fairly new drive so either it or something in MC has made it worse.

Ideally MC would just stop analyzing discs until they were selected to play.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Do you want a log?

Thanks.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: Analyzing Optical Disc freezes MC
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:09:10 pm »

When I have MakeMKV and MC open, then insert a DVD, MC starts to analyze the disc but never stops
This has nothing to to with MakeMKV.

Anytime I insert a DVD MC starts to analyze the disc but never stops. Other software works fine for playback and ripping. Blu-rays work fine with MC.

Drive is official 4k BD, internal made by LG.
Model: WH16NS60.

Enclosure is: OWC Mercury Pro 5.25" Optical Drive External Enclosure

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 06:29:26 am »

happens to me too.   i have tried every setting i can think of in MC to get it to simply ignore any inserted disc - DVD, BluRay, UHD.   for dvd and blu majority of the time it insists on scanning the disc, but not always.   for UHD, seems to do so less.

MC will “freeze” until it is done scanning the disc for me.   once it is done all returns back to normal.    this can take a while.   if i also have MakeMKV open it will take a long while as both pieces of software attempt to scan the disc.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:22:20 pm »

There is no way to stop MC analysing an inserted optical disc. On my HTPC it even checks the disc drive regularly if the PC is on, or at least I think it is MC making the drive led light up. Even if you don't play a disc, MC creates a record for it in its internal CD Database, and will look up the disc on its online YADB database, collecting metadata. That is why it is doing the analysis, I think.

The analysis often isn't very quick, but it shouldn't get stuck and never stop. It sounds like you have an internal optical drive in an external enclosure, so is that enclosure connected via USB or eSATA, or what? If USB, it could be the USB driver that is the issue. Or just the driver for the optical drive itself. Sometimes they don't like being in an external enclosure.

Turn on MC logging, insert a disc, look for issues in the log and in Windows logs, memory and CPU usage. Only send logs if someone asks you for them. Have a look yourself first.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:11:16 pm »

Doesn't matter if internal or external; same effect.

MC UI gets stuck; MC itself keeps running, i.e if I have audio or video playing, they don't freeze.

Only the UI; almost as if the thread that the UI executes in becomes blocked during this process.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 12:17:25 pm »

What about this part?

It sounds like you have an internal optical drive in an external enclosure, so is that enclosure connected via USB or eSATA, or what? If USB, it could be the USB driver that is the issue. Or just the driver for the optical drive itself. Sometimes they don't like being in an external enclosure.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:37:09 pm »

if i also have MakeMKV open it will take a long while as both pieces of software attempt to scan the disc.
This is initially what I thought was happening, but then realized it happened with all dvds regardless of any other software open.

It sounds like you have an internal optical drive in an external enclosure, so is that enclosure connected via USB or eSATA, or what? If USB, it could be the USB driver that is the issue. Or just the driver for the optical drive itself. Sometimes they don't like being in an external enclosure.
My enclose is usb. It doesn't require a driver for Windows.

I will troubleshoot it more this week if I can find some time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up