INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Camera Import Tags for Pics and Videos  (Read 1061 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Camera Import Tags for Pics and Videos
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:41:11 pm »

I decided to use MC to import all my photos and organizing them in folders.  Picasa and Adobe Organiser don't do what I want and find MC easier to use BUT:

- This a more than a 2 step process which I think, could be greatly improved if the following were implemented:

For Images:

1. Read the IPTC during Import so it can create folders based on date created and not the date the picture was imported. OR
2. in the Acquire Images Option under Camera, add the option to apply tags just like the Media Import window. (But I assume this would only work after the file was imported not sure...)

For Videos:

1. For all imported videos having the "Img" prefix in the filename MC will add a season, episode number tag in the library which is unwanted and annoying.
2. The Library Name of the file will then become Img S02E37 instead of Img_0237. It should remain as per the filename Img_0237
2. The library will then inherit "TV Show" as the media sub-type ...It should either stay empty or be "Home Video".
3. As I'm syncing my files accross different PCs and Hard Drives the Sidecar is not always being read and the same tag changes have to be done on the other machines after import... That is even after forcing an "Update Tags from library" on the machine where the files were imported from the Camera and then "Update library from tags"...On the target PC after file synchronization...

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,109320.msg756655.html#msg756655

...I'm fairly sure this could be appealing to existing or potential MC users...
Thx!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request: Camera Import Tags for Pics and Videos
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 02:44:45 pm »

Did you explore the options for Acquire Images?  You can tell MC how to arrange the files.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:52:31 pm »

Did you explore the options for Acquire Images?  You can tell MC how to arrange the files.

Hi Jim yes I have been fiddling a lot around this over the last few years switching between Picasa, Adobe and MC...

I'm able to clean everything up fairly quickly with the Rename, Move & Copy Files and creating custom Fields but:

1. for pics if the Metadata was being read from the Acquire Images on Import for Images AND;
2. the Videos wouldn't be "seen" as TV shows with Season and Episode Numbers this would save me (us) a lot of time and make the Camera Import Feature VERY helpful and a one step process!!

Thx for considering not sure what's involved in all this but since the logic is already present in the Import tool I'm hoping it's easy to implement...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 03:02:44 pm »

I still think you may be able to get part of what you want.

Look at Tools > Options > File Locations > Images.  You can tell it to use a tag -- [sometag] -- to designate a location.

IPTC tags are read and used by MC:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Photo_Tagging

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 03:19:20 pm »

I still think you may be able to get part of what you want.

Look at Tools > Options > File Locations > Images.  You can tell it to use a tag -- [sometag] -- to designate a location.

I've experimented with this as well but since the IPTC (or Exif) Tags don't get read on import I can't rename folders based on those tags. (This is my request for the picture part of the import)

IPTC tags are read and used by MC:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Photo_Tagging

Yes and I'm using this feature with custom Field Names to reorganize in Folders based on the Date the Pics and Videos were acquired (with RM&C). This will only work after Pics and Videos are Imported in MC

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:02:02 am »

A few more comments/questions on this for videos imported from a Canon EOS60 Camera, Android LGV30 or iPhone:

- Since .mov and .mp4 files support metadata shouldn't the tags be written in the file? (Changing the setting for sidecar under Options->Importing & Tagging for "write in both sidecar and file" doesn't change anything)

- In order to have the real filename as the [Name] in MC I used the "Fill properties from Filename" so that I don't get the Season and Episode appended to Img after import.

Not a big big deal but I think Date imported should be in the sidecar so the info is not lost between different PCs. (More of a nice to have since exporting and reimporting .mpl playlist will solve this...) or a full backup of course but in my case I have different contents on my PCs so not an option.  (AND as per my note above the tag should be written in the metadata for .mov and .mp4)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 12:34:14 pm »

One more note: On the second PC, after syncing files (with new sidecar files) and importing the pictures .mpl playlist, and Updating Library from tags.

The Series, Season and Episode will remain...(the Imported Date and Name got changed)
Pages: [1]   Go Up