INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM issues  (Read 1181 times)

emcee2

• Recent member
WDM issues
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:51:35 am »

(apols, I inadvertently posted this yesterday as a 'reply' to prior WDM thread from 'fitzmikel-- it is anew question, or at least, 'new' to me)

Dell workstation ... win 10 Pro 1809 build 17763 ... MC 24.0.72 (64-bit).  Dell audio out = USB to FIIO DAC (max support samplings =)24-bit, 96 Hhz output 3.5 jack to amplified speakers.   JRiver Media Center 24 is set in Win 10 as the default audio device.  WDM driver checked in MC/Tools/Options/General/Features.  (additionally, and related to streaming issues below under Issue #2), I created new zone ("Loopback") with "ZoneSwitch" settings for "Loopback" and "Normal" -- settings triple-checked per https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver.

No issues with normal MC library operations, playback.

Issue # 1 -- no audio from Windows/PC -- Windows sounds, Firefox browser (YouTube, RadioTunes, etc.).  In Win 10 sound set-up, with JRiver MC selected as "Default Device," selecting "test" generates an output (visual confirmation) but no sound is audible.  I had thought (perhaps mistakenly) that installation of the WDM drivers enables all Windows audio outputs (system sounds, application sound, etc.) to route through JR Media Center.  NOTE:  when testing via Win 10 sound set-up or testing specific systems sounds, an IPC message is generated for the "Loopback" Zone with file name "live://ipc?pipe=00000000000003E4&streaming=1"

Issue # 2 -- streaming works with/for Soma FM (where I am selecting a specific stream).  However, for DI and RadioTunes and others -- opened under "Player" (="Normal" zone), regardless of access via left-hand tree under "Streaming" or from main "Streaming" tiles on the MC browser ... browser window opens without issue for (say) RadioTunes, then when I select a channel, I get the Streaming pop-up box (select "Play Stream"), after about 10 seconds, the audio stream starts and then  MC presents an endless loop of the Streaming pop-up box -- reappears continuously whether I select "OK" (starts a new stream after 10-15 seconds) or "Cancel" -- pop-up just keeps popping up.  Unfortunately, that also means that I lose total access to MC controls -- cannot address volume or pause or ... anything.  Stream stops playing on its own after about 2 minutes.  Moreover, the only way to close the MC application is to force it to close using Windows Task Manager.

If this is all simple and stupid, I did spend 90 minutes querying the forum and the MC directions and, generally, Google.  But I just could not figure it out.

Thanks, in advance, for your consideration and response(s)

emcee2

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WDM issues
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 08:57:30 am »

Try simplifying.  No zones, for example.  Can you get WDM to work?

If you play from MC, do you have an audio device selected in MC's Audio settings?  Does that work?

If you can play from MC, then try playing to MC as an audio device.

emcee2

• Recent member
Re: WDM issues
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 03:17:17 pm »

Jim -- thank-you for the quick turnaround.  First and foremost, I have virtually everything working.  (Pathetically, I've been working on this most of the day -- pathetically, that is, in the sense that I'm sure it would have taken a normal person with moderate technical knowledge like 20 minutes;-)

Net:  I found 2 individual culprits ...
1)  "Loopback" zone and affiliated Zoneswitch rules; and,
2)  Win 10 Sound setting for JR MC 24 under Properties/Advanced ... "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
Having tested various configurations, I was only able to get WDM working properly after remove #1 and I'm checking #2

Does this make sense to you?  Is this the way it is supposed to be configured?

That said ...

Some streaming channels (e.g. RadioTunes) totally lock up the MC24 app as described in Issue #2 in my original post; alternatively, I am able to listen to RadioTunes in a separate (non-MC24) Firefox or Chromebrowser. 

I assuming that, since all of the PC's audio is being tried through and controlled by MC24 whether in it's via the MC24 browser or an independent browser, the audio quality is equivalent and largely dependent on the streaming source/fidelity is that correct?

emcee2

Pages: [1]   Go Up