INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can view filter settings be remembered  (Read 3063 times)

N0z1f

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Woo Hoo...
Can view filter settings be remembered
« on: May 10, 2003, 08:53:40 am »

Is it possible to have MC remember what 'View Filter' was being used when the program is closed and revert to that setting upon re-opening.
i.e. If I shutdown MC 'Showing Audio Files Only' I would like to see 'Showing Audio Files Only' when I re-launch MC.

nila

Re: Can view filter settings be remembered
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 10:05:42 am »

No they cant.
They figured it'd cause problems with people forgetting they had the view filter enabled and wondering where half their files went.

I agree there should be an option to remember it. That way if you specifically set it as an option you'll know it's been done.

Yangus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 03:13:27 am »

I've asked for this about three times over the last month or so. Still haven't received a comment on it so I can only assume that it is not being considered.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 03:17:33 am »

I Only Import Music Files Into MC9 Because Of This

If there was this option (Like The Import List) Where You Can Filter By File Type

I May Import Everything And Just Allow [X] MP3, Mpeg
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 05:37:00 am »

Nila > view filter enabled and wondering where half their files went

It is prominently displayed in the title bar of MC so I don't see a problem here. It could be off by by default. Add me to the list that would like a sticky setting option for this.

10-27

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 01:01:12 pm »

I'll throw my support behind this as well.  Like King, I only use MC 9 for music files because of this limitation.  It can't be too difficult to add a checkbox that says "retain view settings on close."

gkerber

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 01:11:44 pm »

Same here.  And my view settings setting seems to be sticky for a while, and then goes away for unknown reasons.   I'm sure it's some combination of things I'm doing, but I have not seen the pattern yet.

There are other reasons for only using MC for music, not related to any of the programming.

I usually have music playing ALL the time at my house when not sleeping.  I can't figure out how to view pictures, or anything not music and have the music continue to play???

Is there a way that I missed?

I can still listen to music and view pictures if I view the pictures using ThumbsPlus.  I can still listen to music and view the output of my security cameras (using my tv card) using WINTV32.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 01:27:09 pm »

>> It can't be too difficult to add a checkbox
matt does not like check boxes
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Warlock

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 01:29:39 pm »

>> It can't be too difficult to add a checkbox  
matt does not like check boxes

Bad experience with a checkbox as a child?   ::)

Yangus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 10:45:09 am »

Why does this question keep getting ignored?
It's been up at least four times that I know of without getting an answer.

In the meantime I'm trying to find a work around.
Is there a way you can have your folder.jpgs sit in their respective folders, show up as thumbnails but not get imported into the library?
For instance, if I was to delete the folder.jpgs from the library then... I'm just confusing myself now. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 11:44:50 am »

View filters don't get remembered when the program is restarted.  We had too many support problems.  "My music files are missing."

Yangus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 12:31:19 pm »

Jim,

We understand that. What we are asking is - can we have an *option* to have the filter remembered?
Obviously if you had to set it yourself, the 'missing files' problem wouldn't occur.

Thanks.

fex

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 12:48:55 pm »

My words.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 01:49:51 pm »

Not now.  Maybe some day.

fex

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2003, 02:00:27 pm »

I've read this and just made a copy on real paper, so ...  ;)

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2003, 12:25:28 am »

I only use MC for audio but I do like my cover art.  When I checked graphics files in the "Import Media" dialog MC did not find my cover art which resides in the same root folder as my music files.  So I imported them into MC from the context menu in Explorer.  So far so good, but now all my cover art was showing up with my music files.

Solution: I pulled my Artist/Album scheme out of Audio and into Media Files then deleted the Audio group.  Edited the Artist/Album scheme and put this in the search criteria "-folder=g:\music\images".

But I still like seeing my cover art so...  as I was in an organizing mood I deleted all schemes from Media Files not related to music.  Then I created a scheme "Covers" with the fields Artist, Album, Image Files which when I first openned it showed all the covers under "unassigned".  Because I'm really anal about this organizing stuff most of the covers used an Artist - Album naming convention.  So I used MC's "fill properties from file names" function and all but a handful of the covers were updated.  Last step: click filter Wizard/Add Modifier/Sorting and set it to [Artist],[Album] and I have a view scheme of the covers organized like Artist/Album.  Now if there was just a way to double click the cover art and have the album start playing...

Cheers

gvag

nila

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 01:36:51 am »

MC can do it, you just have to assign the cover art to the files.
If you put all your cover art's into the MC cover art folder then select all your files and choose 'quick find cover....' it should assign the covers to your albums so you can then do exactly what you want.
you just put MC to 'group by album (if logical)'.

Alternately you can use Album View 2 which has some great options for finding the cover art and assigning it to your albums.

It's designed specifically to give you this cover art interface to your albums and has some great options.

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 03:07:15 pm »

Nila -

I did a Help search and realized that I could use Internet Cover search independent of whether the albums were ripped or downloaded.  So I ran the search and MC found a fair number of covers that I was missing.  Strange thing is that some of them are not showing up in my Covers scheme.

So I created a new scheme Images which had only one criteria "Image File" and a filter "folder=g:\music\images".  MC still wouldn't display some of the covers.  Ditto for using the "Location" scheme.  I have 500+ covers in the folder and MC only see 333 of them, even after doing an Import Media with gif and jpg extensions checked.  I resorted to a manual import from Explorer and MC finally is showing the files.

Talking of strange behaviour, in my Cover scheme all listings show up as Artist/Album/unassigned.  Any thots?  I'd really appreciate your input because right now I'm inclined to post this behaviour as a bug.

What is "Album View 2"?  I don't see it on any of the menus.  As to double clicking a cover and having the music play is there a setting I have to change to accomplish this?

thanks

gvag
Pages: [1]   Go Up