INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'View Extras' - Scrolling past the last image closes the view  (Read 1376 times)

Negasonic

• World Citizen
'View Extras' - Scrolling past the last image closes the view
« on: February 03, 2019, 08:12:05 pm »

Back in October I made a note about this issue here.

How it used to work: A full-screen view pops up showing the image/images. Scrolling with the mouse browses through all the images, back and forth. If you reached the last image in the list and tried to scroll past it, it would just reload that image again, indicating that you had reached the end. You could keep scrolling back and forth through the images until you decided to close the view by right-clicking anywhere on the screen and select 'Close Display'.

How it works now (at least since October last year): If you scroll past the last image in the list, the "full-screen-image-viewer-display" will just abruptly close down by itself, forcing you to start over again by right-clicking the album/file - View Extras - select an image in the list. This is not how it should work. You don't always know when you have reached the last image (it may be a long list) and you may want to go back to a previous image again.

I don't see any new settings that could have changed this behavior?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 'View Extras' - Scrolling past the last image closes the view
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:17:18 am »

Player > Repeat > Repeat Playing Now should make it loop to the first image after it finishes the last.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:36:59 am »

Thanks for the reply, Matt.

That seems like a workaround, though, which would also affect music and videos being played (I guess, I never use Repeat), which is not something I want.

Can't it just not close down the display after showing the last image and let the user decide when its time to shut it down by choosing 'Close Display'? The way it used to work? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:45:15 am »

Well in the past it would just keep playing the last image over and over.  That seemed wrong.

Now it switches based on the continuous mode.  If it's on, it just plays the first image.  If it's off, it issues a stop.

That seems pretty reasonable to me, but if you have a better suggestion, please let us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 09:10:49 am »

Well in the past it would just keep playing the last image over and over.  That seemed wrong.

Ah ok, I think I understand why you may have changed the behavior now, based on the user sitting down and watching an automatic slideshow of images?

I never did that, using it as a slideshow. It wouldn't work for me. My images are scans of covers/booklets for the cd's (This was the main purpose, at least initially, of this feature being implemented, I think?) and I can't have those images automatically change based on a timer. That wouldn't really work when reading a book, for instance, which basically browsing through a booklet is. I checked my settings for Images and noticed I had 'Slideshow duration' set to 1.39.00. I always change the images manually with the mouse wheel, going back and forth, sometimes leaving an image open for a long time (in case there's a lot of text, for instance).

So, with the above in mind, having the last image being played over and over was naturally never an issue. The problem now is, when switching manually through the images, I seldom know which one is the last one... until it's too late and the display just shuts down.

I wish it could be changed back to how it used to work. It would be great if there was an option to turn off the "slideshow feature" completely, as well.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 10:25:17 am »

If you pause the slideshow, you can control it manually with the forward and back arrows.

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:37:59 pm »

If you pause the slideshow, you can control it manually with the forward and back arrows.

Thanks for the input, Jim.

Pausing the slideshow will indeed pause the current image on display. Clicking the arrows to switch to next or previous image will start the slideshow counter again. So you need to pause again. Or... just set the 'Slideshow duration' setting to a really high value, so you don't have to think about it too much (workaround).

What does the option 'Stop slideshow on manual changes' do? I have it checked.

Opening up an image (whether it's through 'View Extras' or from a regular view of a series of images) will open up the first image (with no countdown, at least with the settings I have), but as soon as I scroll to next or previous (by arrow-clicking or mouse wheel), the slideshow duration timer will start to tick and automatically switch to next image when it reaches 0.

I fully understand having slideshows as an option, in case the user wants to show a timed presentation of a series of images, but should that really be the default way to view images? And no way to completely disable it? At least I haven't found a way yet.

How do I completely turn off Image slideshows?

, but if you have a better suggestion, please let us know.

1. Option to not automatically close the display after showing/or scrolling past the last image. Let the user decide when to close the display by manually closing it.

2. Option to completely disable the whole "slideshow feature".

Those are some pretty darn good suggestions, right?  :)

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:49:02 am »

So, does anyone know what the option 'Stop slideshow on manual changes' is supposed to do? Could not find any info in the wiki.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:13:53 am »

During a slideshow, if you begin controlling playback with the arrow keys, the automatic aspect is turned off, so you're in control.  To resume, press the space bar.

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 07:07:26 pm »

During a slideshow, if you begin controlling playback with the arrow keys, the automatic aspect is turned off, so you're in control.  To resume, press the space bar.

Meaning that if I click on the arrow keys the countdown timer would be disabled? It is not doing that. It just changes to the next image (with the countdown timer starting for that image)

No matter if 'Stop slideshow on manual changes' is checked or not, clicking on the arrow keys (arrow keys on keyboard / clicking on arrow icons on the screen / using mouse wheel with 'Change images on mouse wheel' checked) will not stop the countdown timer. It simply switches to next image and starts the slideshow again. I see no difference in behavior whether this option is checked or not.

I can pause an image by pressing space bar. But that will only pause that specific image. As I wrote in a post above, if I go to the next image (while in pause mode), that image will not automatically be paused. The slideshow will start again.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 05:46:24 pm »

Referring to my previous post about 'Stop slideshow on manual changes':

Is this bugged?

Is it working for everyone else?

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 08:17:09 pm »

Apparently an old issue (non-stoppable slideshows) since MC22?
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,108752.0.html

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 06:35:38 pm »

Another go at trying to wrap this up:

JimH, or anyone else, I can not get this to work.

Currently I do not know if this is due to something on my end or if this is a bug for everyone.

'Stop slideshow on manual changes' is checked.

I start viewing a series of images in Display View.

The first image is always automatically paused. (good)

Using the arrow keys loads the next, or previous, image (good)

This next image will not be paused. The slideshow timer will start up again (not good)

Whether 'Stop slideshow on manual changes' is checked or not, seems to make no difference?
Pages: [1]   Go Up