INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zones not showing  (Read 2835 times)

RichSingapore

• Recent member
Zones not showing
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:54:14 am »

I have a server in the UK running MC24 and Media Server. The server shares my main library to a client PC here in Singapore.

The client can access the server, play back files and shows the server as a zone. However, the server does not show the client as a zone. This creates a number of frustrating issues for my use of J Remote (I can detail if required...).

I had everything running perfectly with MC22 but the upgrade to MC24 seems to have introduced an issue. I have reset access keys, restarted the server and PC, deleted MC22 entries in windows defender but haven't found a solution.

Can someone help please?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Zones not showing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:58:02 am »

Windows Defender still could be the problem.

Is port 1900 open?  It's used for SSDP.

RichSingapore

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:00:44 am »

It wasn't but I have just forwarded the port and unfortunately still no zones showing on the server. It's odd that it was perfectly in MC22 for 9 months but now behaves differently.

Anything else I can try? Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:03:25 am »

Windows Defender.  There is a topic on the MC24 for Windows board.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

RichSingapore

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 11:25:53 am »

Thanks Jim, I followed the advice but that hasn't seemed to work either... what is next on the checklist? Thanks 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 12:48:52 am »

Turn on Media Network in the Client.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RichSingapore

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:23:31 am »

I have done that. This was all set up and working correctly with MC22. I have the same settings so not sure what the issue is.

I have now loaded MC24 onto my laptop which is also accessing the main library on my UK server. Both my laptop and BRIX can see all three zones (server, laptop and BRIX). However, the server cannot see either the laptop or BRIX zones.

Rather an odd but frustrating blip.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 03:38:24 am »

Okay, you have the same settings. Does that include the Client set as a DLNA Renderer? I guess it must do as the BRIX can see the laptop and vice versa.

The Windows Firewall (part of Defender these days in Windows 10), if that is what you are using on the Server, would also need to let MC24 through, the same as it is set for MC22. I assume that you mean you have set up port forwarding on the router in the UK, rather than on the Server itself, because you don't need to port forward on the server, just allow inbound UDP packets on port 1900 for DLNA discovery.

In fact are you using a VPN and DLNA, or are you using the MC Client/Server connection over the internet or something? Maybe explain a bit more about the infrastructure setup you have. There was one long running thread where a user was trying to get MC to work over a VPN to share video over the internet, and it just wouldn't work. That was never resolved as far as I can remember. If you are using a VPN, have you checked its settings are identical for MC24 as for MC22?

Regardless, you may have the same issue I have with my TV. I deleted the TV Dynamic Zone at some stage and I cannot get it to be seen again by my Server (or Client actually - I deleted it on both). I should have just Hidden the TV, but I deleted it ages ago thinking I wouldn't need it, or maybe the hide function didn't exist.

I assume you have tried to unhide Dynamic Zones on the Server?

I'm just throwing some ideas about.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RichSingapore

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 04:15:26 am »

Thanks for your help Roderick, I am open to any advice or ideas to solve this!

Yes I have the DLNA Renderer ticked for both clients so I can control the BRIX zone using the Laptop and vice versa.

Media Center 24 is being allowed through the firewall for both public and private networks. There are are two entries for MC24 in Windows Defender Firewall allowing incoming traffic on any port. Do I need to do anything else to allow inbound UDP packets on port 1900 for DLNA discovery?

I seem to have port forwarded port 1900 on the router but I will remove that entry as it's not required.

I don't believe I have an unusual set up. I have a server running Windows 10 and MC24 Media Center and Server. The BRIX and Laptop are connected to the server library using the access key. I assume this is just a DLNA environment.

I have tried to show dynamic zones on the server but it can only see the local zone. I haven't deleted any zones - they showed in MC22 but not in MC24.

?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 06:11:17 am »

Hmmm, I am a little out of my depth here. Hopefully someone who knows more about the network requirement for this to work will step in.

If you had Port forwarding done on the router for MC22, you should leave it there. It is actually required for the Client PC to find the Server PC. My comment previously was that you don't need port forwarding on the Server PC, because it can't be done there, and must be done on the router. Bad wording on my part.

Media Center 24 is being allowed through the firewall for both public and private networks. There are are two entries for MC24 in Windows Defender Firewall allowing incoming traffic on any port. Do I need to do anything else to allow inbound UDP packets on port 1900 for DLNA discovery?

I don't believe I have an unusual set up. I have a server running Windows 10 and MC24 Media Center and Server. The BRIX and Laptop are connected to the server library using the access key. I assume this is just a DLNA environment.

I have tried to show dynamic zones on the server but it can only see the local zone. I haven't deleted any zones - they showed in MC22 but not in MC24.

What I can say is that while I am using Norton Internet Security rather than Defender, I have three JRiver programs Allowed through my firewalls; JRWeb.exe, JRWorker.exe, and "Media Center 24.exe". You could try adding the missing one in your environments; Server and Clients.

The reason I'm out of my depth is that I have never received a definitive answer as to how much JRiver Media Network uses DLNA functionality when it is using a Client/Server connection instead of using DLNA Server/Renderers/Controllers. I believe that MC Media Network uses Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) to find resources such as MC Clients and Servers, but it doesn't use DLNA to connect. You see, DLNA only works over a LAN, and not over a WAN (internet). So the connection you are using, via the Access Key, can't be a DLNA connection. It must be using the specific JRiver Media Network functionality to connect and manage the connections, once SSDP has been used to discover the components. Hence my question regarding whether you were using a VPN.

Anyway, if what you want to do is use JRemote to play music from the Server in the UK to the Client in Singapore, have you tried connecting JRemote to the Client PC instead of the Server (using the Client's Access Key), while the Client is connected to the Server, and then just direct output to the Client Zone? As you say both your laptop and BRIX can see all three zones (server, laptop and BRIX), then JRemote should be able to connect to the Laptop (because it is running Media Network) using the laptop Access Key, and direct output to the laptop...

...I think.

Maybe that comes back to the question of what you are trying to do with JRemote.

RichSingapore

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 07:24:09 am »

So that is my workaround - in JRemote I connect to the BRIX which is connected to the Server library.

The issue is that the BRIX is connected to our TV and we use a VPN to watch UK TV BBC iPlayer, Netflix ITV etc. If the VPN is left on, which it often is, and I am out and about the streaming of higher res files like FLACs through JRemote are very slow and that is immensely frustrating. Of course I can login to the BRIX using Anydesk or Teamviewer and turn the VPN off but it's something I shouldn't have to do.

If I could connect to the server directly and it showed all the zones it wouldn't matter that a VPN is on on the BRIX.

RichSingapore

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 07:47:27 am »

Also to further explain.

In JRemote I can login to the server to stream music directly to my iPhone (play to "this device").

I also use my iPhone to playback files to the BRIX zone at home. And now in JRemote I have to login to the BRIX to control this zone which playbacks music/video to my TV, amplifier and floorstanding speakers.

As you can see there are workarounds but it is something that I shouldn't have to do if all working correctly.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 03:22:00 pm »

Throwing a VPN into the mix occasionally changes the ball game a lot. But anyway...

I assume that you control the Server remotely using Teamviewer or something similar. If you are able to do that without using the VPN, try to get the Server to connect to your laptop running Media Network, so the Server becomes a Client of the laptop. You will need to be running a local Library on the laptop to do that.

I suspect it won't connect. Fix that and I suspect that the Server will then be able to see the laptop as a Zone.  You will need port forwarding in Singapore to get that to work. Basically, if a Client can connect to the Server, and the Client is running Media Network, then it should show on the Server as a Zone, which in this case would just be called "There".

We have talked about port forwarding and allowing applications through the firewall. That needs to happen at both ends of your connection I think, as you are connecting over the internet. If you always connected over a VPN then that would be a different setup entirely, as that would work just like a big LAN. But it sounds like you only use the VPN for UK programming, and I suspect connect directly from the Laptop or BRIX to the service provider, not through the UK MC Server.

I'm not sure this is a JRiver issue, despite MC22 working previously. It is a network configuration issue. Unless someone from JRiver can point out a change to the way MC works from MC22 to MC24 that would affect this functionality.

RichSingapore

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 04:56:54 am »

A slight misunderstanding, the VPN is only used to for playback of BBC iPlayer, Netflix etc and that is through chrome web browser. The VPN has no specific use with Media Center. However, if the VPN on the BRIX is left on it effects the streaming of files to my phone because I am accessing the file through the VPN rather than a direct connection. This is why I have to turn it off. I hope that makes sense.

I like your suggestion about the server accessing the laptop local library. That is an approach I hadn't thought of and could provide some more insight to the issue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up