INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media center Server crashing  (Read 2458 times)

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
Media center Server crashing
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:14:13 am »

*I tried reading the forum for several minutes to look for similar issues. Didn't find anything relevant*

I have a Media Center server running on Windows 7 (currently 24.0.75). I have been using it for many years and it's been stable. Recently it has begun randomly crashing. I have tried both the 64 and 32 bit version. uninstalling, rebooting ect.

It seems as if it is crashing (the icon disappears and I may or may not get a popup saying media center is closing.
I have the following configuration:
* J river main server running on windows 7 on a rack
* IdPi running as an output to amplifier
* Marantz SR8012 11.2 Channel A/V Receiver, networked using HEOS and DLNA
* Samsung Smart TV
* Sony Smart TV
* Vizio Smart TV
* Whitebear with logitech server
* Amazon Echos

Possible points of interest:

1) The main server crashes within a few hours
2) the slave j Rivers don't ever seem to crash
3) It *seems* like when I attached the Marantz HEOS amp and the Samsung (happened at the same time) the random crashing began. I don't actually do a lot of streaming to that amp from J River and it will crash whether or not I am using the marantz for playback

Any ideas?

I'm going to pull whitebear and logitech off the machine as I don't need it anymore, however those two have been running with no J River issues for years. The only new thing I can think of is the Marantz HEOS showing up on my local network.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media center Server crashing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:24:07 am »

FYI, we switched from J River to JRiver a few years ago because it is more search friendly.

Could be a Windows update or a driver update. 

Did you install any software when you added the Marantz?  Try uninstalling it.

Antivirus can also do that.

You could read the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature for other ideas.

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:03:58 am »

Hmmm,

I have JRiver excluded from antivirus. I haven't loaded any new programs on the system.

Here's the windows event log entry:
Faulting application name: Media Center 24.exe, version: 24.0.75.0, time stamp: 0x5c49ebb5
Faulting module name: JRReader.dll, version: 24.0.75.0, time stamp: 0x5c49ea1b
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x0011b56e
Faulting process id: 0xd4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4c08e32871bc5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 24\Media Center 24.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 24\JRReader.dll

I'll try the weird errors link. If I can't track it down with that I'll install a fresh windows 10 and go from there and see what happens.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:41:54 am »

Windows gets to blame whoever they want and it's never Microsoft.

Did you consider removing the HEOS?

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 05:18:01 pm »

I haven't actually considered removing the HEOS. HEOS has a pretty rough interface and I wouldn't mind dumping it.

Major downsides:
1) I'd lose the zone control for the amp. The Amp has three zones that show as one DLNA source. I have to use HEOS to tell it which zone to turn on and off.
I perhaps could use two more ID Pi's to give me zones without HEOS.
2) Spotify, I do a lot of streaming thru spotify, is there a way to stream from Spotify on my android phone and then to JRiver, and then I suppose to an ID and then finally my amp.

I may try that, but I'd much rather it stop crashing.

Thanks for the idea

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:36:10 am »

I haven't actually considered removing the HEOS. HEOS has a pretty rough interface and I wouldn't mind dumping it.

Major downsides:
1) I'd lose the zone control for the amp. The Amp has three zones that show as one DLNA source. I have to use HEOS to tell it which zone to turn on and off.
I perhaps could use two more ID Pi's to give me zones without HEOS.
2) Spotify, I do a lot of streaming thru spotify, is there a way to stream from Spotify on my android phone and then to JRiver, and then I suppose to an ID and then finally my amp.

I may try that, but I'd much rather it stop crashing.
It would tell you whether the crash is related and that might help.

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:49:27 pm »

Excellent point.

I'll try it and report back.

Thanks

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 03:36:04 pm »

I unplugged the two Marantz HEOS amps and Media Center hasn't crashed since (6 hours and counting) Previously MC was running for 1 to 3 hours and crashing as per the prior event log. I'll keep running MC as per usual but it looks like MC may be allergic to my HEOS amps? If MC is still running in the morning I'll plug back in the amps and see if MC then crashes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:02:41 pm »

If we could get a log of a crash, we might be able to see what is happening.  The wiki has a topic on logging.

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 05:31:26 pm »

Ok I've got a crash log. It didn't crash for the while the HEOS amp's were unplugged. once we plugged them back in, it started crashing again in a few hours.  I have attached two logs of the crash.

Thanks,

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 12:45:17 am »

Thanks for the log.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 09:06:44 am »

Need the crash dump.
If you do the "Report Problem" from Logging after restarting MC the next time after a crash it should send the crash dump as well.

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 09:50:31 am »

Hmmm I pressed the "Report Problem" button and it's not putting the crash.dmp file in. I check in the appdata directory and the crash.dmp file isn't being generated. I do have a older copy of crash.dmp from a few days ago. I moved that back into the directory where it was created by MC. Maybe having a prior file there will encourage MC to generate a new crash.dmp.  I'll report back once I get it to generate a new crash, hopefully with a crash.dmp

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 10:17:00 am »

Hmmm I pressed the "Report Problem" button and it's not putting the crash.dmp file in. I check in the appdata directory and the crash.dmp file isn't being generated. I do have a older copy of crash.dmp from a few days ago. I moved that back into the directory where it was created by MC. Maybe having a prior file there will encourage MC to generate a new crash.dmp.  I'll report back once I get it to generate a new crash, hopefully with a crash.dmp
Thanks! I think any crash.dmp that was generated from this problem would do, I don't need the logs, just need the dump and the exact version that was running when the dump was made.
You could email it to bob (at) jriver (dot) com.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 12:47:32 pm »

It looks to me like it's crashing on a device doing a DLNA browse command to find out what is in your library.
It is probably crashing on a bad file.
We added some checking.
I'll PM you with a test build to try...

Vissian

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 07:53:41 pm »

It looks to me like it's crashing on a device doing a DLNA browse command to find out what is in your library.
It is probably crashing on a bad file.
We added some checking.
I'll PM you with a test build to try...

This issue appears to be present in 25.0.37.0 as well.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 09:12:56 am »

This issue appears to be present in 25.0.37.0 as well.
I assume you mean 25.0.27.
This particular issue was fixed in MC 24.
If you have something similar please send a log file (if you are running a windows version there is a function to send this automatically in the logging section of the Help menu.

Vissian

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 08:59:22 pm »

I assume you mean 25.0.27.
This particular issue was fixed in MC 24.
If you have something similar please send a log file (if you are running a windows version there is a function to send this automatically in the logging section of the Help menu.
Yep, meant .27 not .37.
Haven't had the issue with .33, so not too concerned about downgrading to .27 to generate logs, unless you'd like to see them regardless.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 09:35:54 am »

Yep, meant .27 not .37.
Haven't had the issue with .33, so not too concerned about downgrading to .27 to generate logs, unless you'd like to see them regardless.
No, that's fine. Thanks for the report back!
Pages: [1]   Go Up