INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback stops  (Read 1080 times)

pthay

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Playback stops
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:57:49 pm »

Issue:  some audio files won't play - MC just stops, then:

If I then try to double-click that track or do anything else at all in MC, it goes into an indefinite state of buffering; subsequent user action causes or reveals MC to hang (fading while expanding to total visible desktop); program hangs indefinitely & has to be forced closed. This has reproducibly occurred with an mp3 file (same file plays in other media players). Issue occurred a few times before while playing audio files but since  I didn't know it was an issue until once it had occured a few times, I didn't pay attention to specifics (such as audio file format). Furthermore, despite limited usage, problem does not appear to be super common - for instance, today it occurred on the 38th song of a play doctor playlist.

Pls note, I'm virtually new to MC, having recently upgraded to this version after being absent some years. I've only used this version a few hours. Likewise, unsure if there is more I should have checked or done before posting. I did do a search for similar issue & read Jim's thread on "Odd Problems" especially part on last fall's Windows 10 update causing Intel driver issues, but it didn't apply to my driver version. Lastly, I don't have any third party drivers installed & I reviewed potential problems MC suggested upon re-start, but they didn't exist.

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback stops
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 01:59:59 pm »

Are you playing local files on the local machine? 

pthay

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:38:34 pm »

Yes, only local files on local machine. I'd seen in the troubleshooting posts mention of antivirus programs causing issues. I'd wondered about that, but now assume that's when using media server etc., not local files on local machine.

Two Things I'll Try:

1) I had set my Audio Device to WASAPI (from Windows Direct Sound default), I'll set it back to Direct Sound. Btw, I had all audio files analyzed on import & then enabled in DSP Studio both "Volume Leveling" and "Adaptive Volume" (Peak Level Normalize). I doubt any issue w these settings, but mention it b/c I'm green on much of this stuff.

2) I'll re-install MC (probably clean or clean-ish install).

I'll post back when I've completed & tested the above.

Thank you.

Spike1000

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:10:40 am »

This has reproducibly occurred with an mp3 file (same file plays in other media players).

The people at JRiver may be interested in a copy of that file as it could be corrupt in some way and causing issues for MC. It might be worth keeping an 'unfixed' version of it somewhere as they may ask for the file so they can reproduce the issue.

Spike

pthay

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 06:43:03 pm »

SOLVED: I set Audio Device Output back to Windows Direct Sound (from WASAPI) & issue's gone. Must be compatibility issue with my PC (hardware or drivers or software or some combo).

Thanks Spike: I did start a playlist for any such unplayable files for that purpose as well as my own troubleshooting. Quick glance at 2 "bad" files' encoding info didn't show anything unique...to me...but there must be something different. Also, these "bad" files played in other media players (iTunes, MusicBee). But that's moot as other players weren't using WASAPI...& returning MC back to Windows Direct Sound audio output allowed files to play normally.

Will test WASAPI again someday w next iteration of Windows 10 or other change such as new sound drivers etc. But perhaps WASAPI is wasted on my current set up anyhow (esp. speakers); hope to upgrade later year, to at least a second set of decent speakers (imagine I'll find some good info/advice on Interact Forums).

Thanks

4 jumping cats

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 06:46:18 pm »

I have had this problem due to corrupted embedded art in the files - may be irrelevant but might be worth lookin at. Use mp3tag to see what's in there.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 04:53:21 am »

I have had this problem due to corrupted embedded art in the files - may be irrelevant but might be worth lookin at. Use mp3tag to see what's in there.

I have seen this too. Not just corrupt art, but also art that is simply too big. In particular when playing to JRemote.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 07:57:58 am »

SOLVED: I set Audio Device Output back to Windows Direct Sound (from WASAPI) & issue's gone. Must be compatibility issue with my PC (hardware or drivers or software or some combo).
Will test WASAPI again someday w next iteration of Windows 10 or other change such as new sound drivers etc. But perhaps WASAPI is wasted on my current set up anyhow (esp. speakers); hope to upgrade later year, to at least a second set of decent speakers (imagine I'll find some good info/advice on Interact Forums).

Thanks
Before you completely give up...

What I have found is that WASAPI to my SB ZXr card absolutely HATES dealing with different formats. I can't mix WAV, FLAC, MP3 and WMA (yes, still have some, slowly upgrading to FLAC ripping from my personal CDs).

Make sure your playlist only includes files of the same type. It's a PITA but it works for me having similar issues.

Next things to do under Player-Options-Audio choose the WASAPI output then click Device settings:

Set WASAPI to exclusive access
Bitdepth AUTO works on my ZXr but on an old USB DAC I had, I had to set this to 24 bit integer in 32 bit package otherwise it would lock up MC

Under the same options screen, choose under Settings DSP&Format:

Under Output format, set EVERY one of the options to the same sample rate. My old USB DAC could handle up to 192 Khz input, so to keep MC from locking up I also had to set this to all output to 192 KHz for every range I have tracks (highest rate I have is 192 KHz so that's what I set them all to)

I won't say this will fix your issue but I have seen similar behavior in MC 22 or 21 with my old USB DAC. My ZXr doesn't seem to care about any of these settings and just works though.

pthay

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 07:34:29 pm »

Wow, so, many useful suggestions - thank you. I will look into all possibilities as any may be applicable to my situation. To slerch666's point on mix of audio formats - I, too, have a mix of audio formats...including a smattering of WMAs.

Thanks again: will update once I've tested these possibilities.

[Different Q: I have questions about doing away w iTunes completely (just discovered it mysteriously deleted a bunch of podcasts - again! - despite settings to prevent such); only been putting up with iTunes for 2 reasons: iPod & Genius Mixes. Want to check that questions about iTunes to MC should be started in new thread under appropriate category? Ofc, will first check what has already been posted on this topic. Ty.]
Pages: [1]   Go Up