INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Streaming from MS OneDive through MC 24 or 25 Available Yet?  (Read 3187 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Is Streaming from MS OneDive through MC 24 or 25 Available Yet?
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:23:10 pm »

I have all my music on my Synology NAS which works great.

I don't want to use Panel as I want to use the same player regardless if I'm listening to music at home or on the go.

Most music is played back on a Windows 10 device (desktop or laptop) through MC24.

I have uploaded all my music to MS OneDrive so I can access it from anywhere on a Windows 10 device with MC24.

Problem is I can't figure out how to play it back on MC24. Yep, I know about Grove music player but that's not an option for me, I want to use MC24 (or 25).

Is this doable yet?

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Negasonic

• World Citizen
Re: Is Streaming from MS OneDive through MC 24 or 25 Available Yet?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:30:24 pm »

Not sure if you can stream from OneDrive... my impression was that files needed to be downloaded first before you could play them, but I could be wrong. I never tested with music.

I use pCloud (you get 10GB free so you could try it out), because it was rated as the best cloud storage for music playback and it's working really great with MC24. pCloud installs an extension in Windows Explorer, like a "virtual drive", so you can see and access your files directly from there, similar to OneDrive and Dropbox. Which simplifies things for MC also, so that it can access the files as if they were on any other "normal" drive.

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:48:18 pm »

Thanks for the info, Negasonic. I'll check it out.

Can pCloud upload music files from my Synology NAS? Reason I ask is OneDrive does not recognize NAS's so I used Synology CloudSync which has it's own OneDrive replacement. I have no music files on my computer, they are all on my NAS.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:10:44 pm »

I just tried pCloud, can't use it as it does not work with network drives like my NAS. So, back to square one.

Thanks anyway.

biblio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 12:14:37 am »

One Drive has files on demand support which would possibly work for you.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-onedrive-files-on-demand-in-windows-0e6860d3-d9f3-4971-b321-7092438fb38e?ui=en-US&rs=en-AU&ad=AU

I don't really understand how your LAN is set up. You're not using the synology for the media library on your PC?

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 12:36:34 am »

I just tried pCloud, can't use it as it does not work with network drives like my NAS. So, back to square one.

Thanks anyway.

pCloud can actually sync/backup directly from OneDrive, so if you have your music on OneDrive it could be uploaded from there instead of from the NAS.

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 09:19:08 pm »

Hi all, been away for awhile... will try to update my information.

I don't really understand how your LAN is set up. You're not using the synology for the media library on your PC?
Yes, have ALL my document files (including all music) on the NAS. Am currently using a laptop (only one drive C, no room for all the files on the laptop).

My problem is one that may not be resolvable...
1: Everything runs great from the NAS when I'm home & near the router (Ethernet &/or WyFi).
2: Problem comes in when I'm NOT at home (no Ethernet &/or WyFi). No access to the router.
3: Have tried Synologies QuickConnect to connect to my NAS from anywhere. It does work, but is a clunky work-around for documents such as Excel but have not found a way to access my music from MC24.
4: I'm thinking the reason most Cloud-Based servers will not allow direct connection to a Network or NAS is because once you leave home there is no easy way to stream directly from the NAS as you no longer have an internet connection to the NAS.
5: I have tried Synologies CloudSync which does allow syncing directly from folders in a NAS to the Cloud, but again when I leave home I loose internet connection to the NAS.
6: There needs to be a way to do streaming form a remote NAS. It works in Android why not Windows.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:22 pm »

Yes, OneDrive does work if it is used as intended, same for DropBox which I have used for 1 1/2 years. Problem with all cloud syncing programs is they want you to drop files into a special folder that they make on drive C. I think the special folder is a virtual one (really not sure about that). Can any one verify that?

I would like to have all my files (one set only) on the NAS, sync those same files (without dropping them into a special virtual folder on drive C). Having the same files duplicated on both the NAS & drive C to me is confusing. One (on the NAS are the real files) the other (on drive C) are the virtual files.

If I could just stream the NAS files when I'm away from home would do it for me.

Am not sure how streaming services do it. What's the difference between streaming form a commercial server or my NAS? They are both on the internet so I don't see the difference.

DocLotus

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:32:37 pm »

Have been running pCloud for the last few hours & have run into a few problems...
1: Although it states 10GB of sync storage, it ran out out of space at only 5GB, that's not very much free pace.
2: OneDrive provides 1TB of sync storage (if you have Office 365, which I do).
3: Don't really care for the interface of PCloud's software.
5: Find OneDrive more intuitive to use.

Maybe just my personal preference ?

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 08:02:46 am »

I used to use OneDrive and Groove when they offered unlimited storage for music in the MP3 format (was fun maintaining 320 kbps MP3s for OneDrive and my regular collection mainly in FLAC).

I stopped when they took away the perk and decided to kill OneDrive's storage bonus. Bye bye MP3 PITA maintenance!

I have since copied all my files, in FLAC, to iBroadcast. The issue I have is not being able to use MC to play the music from there but given I only use it at work, when I go to work, I will just deal with their web interface or my phone for listening. You may be able to setup a virtual soundcard that MC could capture and work it's magic on instead though.

I am going to see if I can set this up and let JRiver handle audio from iBroadcast:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.0

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 03:59:20 pm »

Went back to pure OneDrive yesterday. Copied all my files to the OneDrive folder & everything synced up just fine without any problems at all. Today I took my laptop to a local Chinese restaurant with pretty good WyFi & was most pleased with the results. EVERYTHING WORKED just fine. Fairly fast downloads from the cloud.

OneDrive has really changed from a year & half ago when I last used it...
1: Then... it would have taken 31 days to sync all my files. Now... it took just over one day.
2: Then... the software interface was not the best. Now... I really like the interface... it just works for me. Seems to do everything well.
3: AND... the best thing is you get 1TB of storage free (if you also have Office 365).

So I guess I'm going to stay with OneDrive... it just does it for me.

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 09:37:52 pm »

I decided to test this by adding an album to OneDrive to see if I could make it work.

After the sync was complete, I selected all of the files (in Windows Explorer) and right-clicked and choose 'Free Up Space', which removes the locally stored files so that only the synced copies in the cloud remains. This is confirmed by seeing the files now have a small cloud icon next to each file instead of a green check mark. Cloud icon indicating that the file is only stored in the cloud and not locally on the hard drive.

After importing this folder into MC's Library and I start playing the tracks, I can see that they are not really streaming, but the files are first being downloaded to my C: drive before they are played. Tabbing out to Windows Explorer I can see download bars next to the files before they start play and the small icons will change back to green check marks (indicating the files are present on both the cloud and locally on the drive).

This is perfectly ok as long as you don't mind having the hard drive being filled up with the music files (as they are being played), or you won't mind cleaning up afterwards every time by removing the local copies (by using 'Free Up Space'). Maybe there is some setting somewhere that would automatically revert the files to "on cloud only" after they have been played?

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 09:11:56 am »

This may do it for you.

It's a new feature starting with the Fall Creators Update in Win 10... Looks very promising.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-onedrive-files-on-demand-in-windows-0e6860d3-d9f3-4971-b321-7092438fb38e?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

"Use OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows".

Let me know how it goes... I'm thinking about trying it out too.

Negasonic

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 10:16:38 am »

Fall Creators Update was back in 2017, so I am already using that "Files on demand" feature, probably you as well if you have Windows up to date.

How that feature works is actually what I was describing in my previous post. Files will remain on the cloud only until you want to use them, for instance play a music file, then it will be downloaded to your device first.

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042378/windows-10-automatic-file-download-notifications:

"When you use an online storage provider such as OneDrive to store online-only files, some Windows apps might download these files automatically. For example, a music player app such as Windows Media Player might download your online-only music files to play them."

So when using MC24 to play music from OneDrive, which is what I think you wanted according to your first post, the files will be downloaded ("files on demand") to your computer and then played.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 10:57:32 am »

You might see how close this new feature comes to meeting your expectations.

Playlist Upload to JRiver

DocLotus

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 11:35:34 pm »

You might see how close this new feature comes to meeting your expectations.

Playlist Upload to JRiver
Very interesting; thanks Jim.

But, it looks like that won't work for me as it is about more then just music files. I need to sync many different types of files (Music, MS worksheets, MS Word, PDF's, images , etc to the cloud).

I would like to selectively sync files directly from my Synology NAS to OneDrive (Synologies Cloud Sync lets me do that). That way I'm not limited to one special OneDrive folder that I have to drop files into which creates duplicate files on my HD which I've always found to be a little confusing.

Problem comes in as just how to get OneDrives "Files on demand" feature working as when I use Synologies Cloud Sync it disables the OneDrive software from every working again until Synology Cloud Sync is uninstalled.

I think the solution is out there (we may be looking it in the face & don't yet know it).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 02:53:25 am »

Ask Synology and/or Microsoft.

The fact that it is music and other files for use in MC doesn't make a difference. As far as a solution is concerned, you just require files on OneDrive to be visible and available to an application on Windows 10. Maybe the solution is as simple as obtaining a Synology Cloud Sync version that is compatible with OneDrive "Files on demand" feature, or perhaps Synology provides an equivalent feature.

But it still won't be streaming. It will be download and play, with cleanup probably required afterwards, as per Negasonic's post.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 07:07:17 am »

But it still won't be streaming. It will be download and play, with cleanup probably required afterwards, as per Negasonic's post.
Thanks, Roderick ;D.

I was wondering about that myself. Will look into it in a few days when I get some more time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up