INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing duplicates in Album folders - and how to remove track # from filename  (Read 646 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I have several Album folders that have duplicate filenames (song names) and some where the track number (or maybe its a playlist number) is part of the filename.

Is there a "Remove Duplicates" tool that will work on a "group" of files - say I highlight a bunch of files - is there a way to remove duplicates from that selection?
I know this is available in Playlists. I don't see a similar tool for just files in an album or folder.

Also those filenames that have the number in the filename (picture below) is there a way to remove those numbers and leave just the song name - but do it a group selection rather than one-by-one?

Negasonic

• World Citizen

Judging from that list it seems that the two top tracks are the actual duplicates.

I would start with just selecting those and delete them - Right click and 'Delete/Remove from Media Library and send to the Recycle bin'.

After that you have 2 full versions of the album "Damn Right, I've Got The blues". One in 128 bitrate and one in variable (265). I would select all the 128 bitrate tracks and delete them as well.

Now you are left with one version of the album which contains "01-" at the beginning of all tracks. To remove these numbers, select all the tracks and open 'Rename, Move & Copy Files...'. (F6)

Select 'Rename...' at the top left dropdown list.

Select 'File Name' and in the box put [Track #] - [Name]
(Or, if you actually don't want any numbers at all, incl Track numbers, just put [Name] )

Check that everything looks ok (including file path) on the right hand side of the window under 'New' and if it does click OK.

CountryBumkin

Thanks for your help.
I didn't even notice the duplicate filenames are different bit rates, until you mentioned it -

Spike1000

MP3tag may help you here; or at least give you an overview of your tagging.

I use this format string in the 'Tag to filename' function

$num(%track%,2) %artist% - %title% (or occasionally $num(%track%,3) %artist% - %title% if the number of tracks exceeds 100) so I end up with filenames like this:

08 Belly - Now They'll Sleep.flac

It can help make things consistent and the overview/column sorting can help find oddities that need fixing. I just run an auto import in MC when I've finished in MP3tag.

Spike

Pages: [1]   Go Up