INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to add folder to playing now without its image files?  (Read 1063 times)

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
How to add folder to playing now without its image files?
« on: February 17, 2019, 03:46:16 pm »

I have a folder containing music files and image files.
I right-click on the folder and ask MC to play it.
All the files show up on the player, including the image files.
Is there a way to avoid image files arriving in the sequence of files to be played?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to add folder to playing now without its image files?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 04:31:11 pm »

Playing from inside MC instead from Explorer would work.

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 02:49:00 am »

Thanks.
So there is no way to tell MC to just ignore those files when playing them from Explorer?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 04:30:10 am »

I played with this a bit and got mixed results.

Mostly only the audio files ended up in the Playing Now list, and the image files were shown as a slideshow while the audio played.

But once the image files also turned up in the Playing Now list.

It seemed to depend on whether I selected the folder in the left navigation tree of Windows Explorer, or in the right pane as a sub-folder. It also seemed to make a difference if I selected "Right-click > Play in Media Center" or "Right-click > Media Center > Play". But the former wasn't always available, while the latter was.

Anyway, I gave up on finding a consistent answer at that stage. It seems that the Windows Shell Integration could use a little cleaning up, and based on my early results, it should be possible to not have the slideshow automatically start. I did have that turned off in "Options > Image > Image Display > Automatically start slideshows", but that didn't have any effect on the slideshow in this situation.

BTW, I assumed that the image files being discussed were not imported into MC, and my example images were not, but still displayed in the slideshow.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 05:32:27 am »

Thanks.
So there is no way to tell MC to just ignore those files when playing them from Explorer?
Not without selecting what you want.

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 11:06:34 am »

Dear 8139david, may I ask you why you have sound and image files in the same folder?
If you take the images into a separate folder everything will work.
Wake up and slow down 😴

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 01:18:35 pm »

Thanks for your replies.

@TBL: When you get some new music, the simplest is to right-click on the folder and ask MC to play it.
I only import it in MC if, after having listened to it, I like it.

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 01:20:16 pm »

PS: What I don't understand is that, sometimes, the files are played in an order that matches neither track order nor file order.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 01:26:03 pm »

It's probably a lot easier to just import everything.  Auto import in fact.  Just have auto import set up on your "new music" directory.  Listen to your new stuff.  Delete what you don't want.  Delete it right from MC.   There's an option to remove it from disk at the same time it's removed from MC if that's what you want.

This will make your experience a lot more consistent:  Imported files play the way you expect them to with none of the guess work you currently have.  I can't see any negative aspects of this.  It's actually less work than you are doing now and will give you better results.

Brian.

8139david

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 01:36:03 pm »

Thanks for your opinion. :)
But as stated, I don't want to import, unless I know I like the music.
I also don't want to auto-import, since I want to control what is happening in my library.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 01:51:32 pm »

But as stated, I don't want to import, unless I know I like the music.

Why not?  What's the down side?  If you don't like it, you delete it from the library and it's gone.  You can even delete it from disk at the same time with a single operation. 

Maybe this is a matter of how you view your music in MC?  Are you aware that you can sort your albums by import date?  If you use a view like this, you will see the albums you imported the most recently at the top of the list.  I use a view like this all the time as it allows me to see the newest parts of my collection right up top.  This would be ideal for your situation I would think.

MC was designed to manage and organize music.  This is a task it is good at.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 12:12:11 pm »

Coming in MC25 we'll have this:
NEW: When executing command line commands, if the shift key is pressed it will only act on audio and it will only work on images if control is pressed.  This way holding that key down while choosing a Windows Explorer shell extension command will only operate on a certain media type.

Hopefully that gets you a little closer to what you're hoping for.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up