INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung stops producing blu-ray players  (Read 1269 times)

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Samsung stops producing blu-ray players
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:33:32 am »

Nooooooooooooooooo......... :(

That's two down.... Oppo and Samsung....  Score: Streaming 2 - Discs 0

I wonder how long wide spread UHD and HD Bluray discs can hang in there...

Unless they are prepping for 8K??  I really don't understand the media industry somedays.
Increasing resolution and file size and removing disc formats when so many struggle to even watch (or streaming services deliver) a quality 4K stream.

Soon we'll be watching 8K netflix with worse overall picture quality than original HD.
There's so much more to picture quality than resolution...  ::)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/17/18228584/samsung-stops-producing-blu-ray-players

https://media.thinknum.com/articles/dvd-blu-ray-sales-tanking-as-streaming-takes-over/

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Samsung stops producing blu-ray players
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 07:19:40 pm »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 03:50:41 pm »

DUBLIN, Feb. 22, 2018 /PRNewswire/ --

The "Global Blu-ray Media and Players Market, Forecast to 2023" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.

Alternate Streaming Media Devices and OTT Services will Challenge Blu-ray Technology; 4K/HDR are Growth Drivers

While physical discs remain a key revenue generator in the home entertainment business, the growing revenue from digital services and the rise of download and over-the-top (OTT) streaming services such as iTunes and Netflix have negatively impacted physical disc sales in the last 4-5 years. Therefore, an overall gradual decline in disc sales through the forecast period is expected.

Unit shipments for the global Blu-ray players market are expected to decrease from 72.1 million in 2017 to 68.0 million in 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -1.0%. Unit shipments for the global Blu-ray media market are expected to decrease from 595.0 million in 2017 to 516.0 million in 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -2.3%.

The rapid growth in subscribers of OTT services, and on-demand 4K and 1080p content streamed directly from the cloud, has led to the rapid rise of services like Netflix, Amazon, HBO, and Hulu. Simultaneously, the intense bandwidth requirements of 4K content formats are unable to replicate the smooth and seamless playback of 4K UHD titles.

Therefore, physical Blu-ray discs are still considered one of the best options for enjoying HD content that also supports HDR and Dolby surround sound. The majority of consumers, especially in the developed markets, are increasingly turning to UHD Blu-ray players to access movie and TV show content. To meet this demand, over 250 UHD titles were released in 2017 alone.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 04:01:49 pm »

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 04:11:08 pm »

An authoritative survey (at my house) is that the Kids (now in their early 20s) mostly consume (poor quality) content on their phones most of the time.  They consume a lot but it is "casual" viewing.  Next up is more traditional TV type viewing from OTA, Cable, Netflix, and the HTPC (MC).  "Movie Nights" are next and it is from MC using UHD or BD content to a big 125" screen. 

I asked the other day what would happen if I dropped dead.  Turns out I'm really the only one with a priority on Quality over ease of access the ongoing maintenance of a media network, HTPC and the ripping of media.  They would just goes the "easiest" route (so OTA / Cable / Netflix) :(

I don't think physical discs are going away anytime soon but the market is going to be more and more a "videophile" market. 
JRiver CEO Elect

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 04:29:55 pm »

Agreed, mirrors what is happened in audio with mp3 and even bluetooth, convenience will win out over quality most of the time.

Not that may high end players left, Cambridge Audio have the CXUHD but as you say this is looking like videophile only as it will be price prohibiltive for the average punter.

Hilton

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 08:45:34 pm »

I'm about to pick up a Cambridge CXUHD.

I was going to go the Oppo route but I'd rather get a current supported player than a really expensive discontinued player.

I've been really pleased with the results of MakeMKV with UHD lately, it's had no problems with any of my discs but I do worry about "friendly" drives disappearing completely from the market and leaving us with no option but to stream or play discs.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 08:47:14 pm »

Yup - I picked up several Friendly drives just in case.
JRiver CEO Elect

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 10:14:18 pm »

I've been really pleased with the results of MakeMKV with UHD lately, it's had no problems with any of my discs but I do worry about "friendly" drives disappearing completely from the market and leaving us with no option but to stream or play discs.
Official UHD drives are supported by MakeMKV now.

Yup - I picked up several Friendly drives just in case.
I picked up more than I care to admit right before the announcement that the official drives will be supported. I have one of them now too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up