INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some DVD folders play, others don't  (Read 784 times)

Simon Chick

• Recent member
Some DVD folders play, others don't
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:50:05 am »

I have a lot of DVDs ripped to folders. Many of them play normally in MC, but many don't. When I click play on the ones that don't, MC thinks about it for a few seconds, and then moves on to play the next DVD in the view instead. No error message is generated, it just passes on to the next folder.

All of the skipped folders play fine in VLC and PowerDVD. I cannot detect any difference in file names or any other abnormality in the folders which do not play compared to folders which do play. DVDs ripped in the same batches with the same ripper have some which play in MC, some which don't.

I am running MC24 latest Windows version, but this has been happening since several versions ago. It happens on both PCs that I use with MC.

I thought I had seen reports of this from a few years back, but couldn't find anything when I looked just now.

Any ideas?
NAS > noiseless PC > Ayre QB-9 USB DAC > Ayre KX-R pre-amp > Ayre MX-R monoblocs > Dynaudio Confidence C4 Signatures
Chord Sarum interconnects and speaker cables
Missing Link Opus, MCRU Ultimate and Transparent Reference Powerlink power cables
PS Audio P10 Power Plant. Sonority isolation platforms.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some DVD folders play, others don't
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:38:08 am »

What do you use to rip DVDs to folder structure? … copy protection can still be intact … PowerDVD and VLC can play protected content … MC cannot

you need third party software that decodes protected content on the fly to play protected content

alternatively use tools that remove protection from rip (I personally use MakeMKV to rip my discs)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Simon Chick

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 04:22:43 am »

Thank you for responding. That potential cause had not occurred to me.

The ripping was all done by DVDFab, which I always have set to remove any copy protection, which is why I'd have thought that copy protection should not be an issue now. I'm also surprised that JRiver cannot play files that other well known programs can. Is there any particular reason for that?

I also have a feeling that the rips did play in JRiver originally, but it is too long ago to be sure, and I may be kidding myself.

I just loaded a sample problem folder into DVDFab, and got the following data:

Disc media: Folder (DVD-Video)
Disc region: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Video standard: PAL

CSS (Content Scramble System) protection not found.
RC (Region Code) protection not found.
RCE (Region Code Enhancement) protection not found.
APS (Analog Protection System) protection not found.
UOPs (User Operation Prohibitions) protection not found.

Invalid PTTs, PGCIs, PGCs, TMAPs, CELLs, VOBUs protection not found.
Fake vts protection not found.
Bad sector protection not found.
Structure protection (ARccOS, RipGuard, etc.) not found.

PathPlayer is enabled!
Unplayable cell not found.

full disc copy/play is supported

So that all looks pretty clean.

Has anybody else had this problem, and are there any other potential explanations?

NAS > noiseless PC > Ayre QB-9 USB DAC > Ayre KX-R pre-amp > Ayre MX-R monoblocs > Dynaudio Confidence C4 Signatures
Missing Link Opus, MCRU Ultimate and Transparent Reference Powerlink power cables

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:11:34 am »

To play protected media … you need to pay license fee or break decryption (which is illegal) … so MC does none of those … first to keep cost down … second to avoid legal issues

Ppl use third party tools to remove protection on fly.

I personally rip my disks to MKV … so have no experience in folder structure or iso rips … sorry

but to narrow things down:

1. are only certain movies don't play … or non-playing issue is random
2. if only certain movies don't play … is there pattern (like are they located on same HDD or folder)
3. what MC version and Windows version you using
4. what antivirus you using
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Simon Chick

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:11:04 am »

Thanks again.

The issue is not random. The ones that don't play always don't play, and vice versa.

I cannot identify any pattern.

I am now on MC 24.0.75 and the latest updates of Windows 10. However the issue goes back to much earlier versions of MC, and iirc, even to Win 7.

I have no anti virus nowadays except Windows Defender.

Not sure this will help. I am still a little surprised that nobody else at all seems to be suffering this problem, but perhaps that is the biggest clue?
Pages: [1]   Go Up