INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Misuc libary screwed up bad again.  (Read 1119 times)

ProgrammerGeek

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Misuc libary screwed up bad again.
« on: May 22, 2003, 10:30:25 am »

Ok, I went and downloaded MC9 and it did a search of my HD and built a libary, exactally what I didn't want it to do!  Anyhow I moved some folders around and set the path(i think) to only look at one folder where my good music is.  It was ok for a bit, but now it is pulling in all my crap again.  

So how do I totally reset what it looks at, and re format the database to point ONLY to thoes MP3's in a specific directory.  

ProgrammerGeek

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Misuc libary screwed up bad again.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 10:36:50 am »

ALSO, under audio > location the new location/folder I made doesn't appear.  What the heck is going on.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 10:54:28 am »

Clear your library, then import again, using "advanced" and using the little browse button next to the path input.

ProgrammerGeek

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 11:22:48 am »

JUST DID.

Here are the issues now.  Under the section where it lets you browse by location on the side it only has the root directory with all my music this is not accruate to the drive.  Do I have to import every  sub directory directory seprate?  

MY DRIVE IS ORGINISED AND I DON'T NEED THE SOFTWARE TO CHANGE IT OR SCREW IT UP OR DUMP IT ALL IN ONE DIRECTORY.  Just import as is, what is so hard about that what am I missing?   ?

I have spent 2 days on this,  I think the program is good but needs major help in the interface.  It is not intuitive and accurate it does to much.  I will work on it a bit more but soon it is going out the window for something simple.

Also how can I get it to rescan all the files and update it's database.  I have to use third party tools for renaming since this is uncapable of keeping my directory structure.  >:( >:( >:(

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 11:38:59 am »

>> renaming since this is uncapable
>> of keeping my directory structure
i think it is more you don't know where the options are.

my imports and directory structure stays the same yours can too if you cut out the bitching and take your time.

to import.

"file"
"Library"
"Import Media"

then set the file types in advanced and then "Start Search.

===================================

If your using rename from file properties uncheck "Directories" and the directory structure will not change just the file name.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 12:34:12 pm »

A couple of comments, since I read ProgrammerGeeks comments a little differently.

it did a search of my HD and built a libary, exactally what I didn't want it to do!

0. Thats pretty much the point of MC - you use the library to catalogue your media and sort out playlists, etc.

Do I have to import every  sub directory directory seprate?

1. Importing (Tools, Import Media - set the base folder and choose advanced/search in subdirs) only builds your MC Media library, which points MC to the media files you wish to catalogue - it doesnt change any filenames/locations. You can view your library in a multitude of ways below Media Library in the tree in the left pane.

Under the section where it lets you browse by location on the side it only has the root directory with all my music this is not accruate to the drive

2. It sounds a little like you are looking at the 'My Computer' node in the tree, which functions a bit like Windows Explorer and will show you all media files. Its not the same as your library.

Also how can I get it to rescan all the files and update it's database.

3. File/Library/Update Library. Not the same as scanning your PC and importing all media files - see above. Might be best to backup your library first.

I have to use third party tools for renaming since this is uncapable of keeping my directory structure

4. MC will not rename your files, unless you select some files in the library and choose Tools/Library Tools/Rename files from properties. This gives you complete control for organising/renaming your files according to the file tags. Note the reverse Fill properties from filenames will tag well-organised and named files based on your directory structure and filenames.

it does to much

Well, yeah its pretty full-featured. You probably figured all the above out, but I sort of got the impression that some of what you were describing was not quite what Jim and King thought. Just ignore me if Im rambling...

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 01:02:06 pm »

I really hate to make this post or sound like I am about to sound, but I just can't help myself.  Mr. Geek, it strikes me oddly that you would choose "ProgrammerGeek" as a username and yet, at the same time, you are having such difficulty in performing a relatively easy, and easily understandable (I might add) task, such as importing your media files into Media Center and understanding how to analyze and review your files from within Media Center.  Perhaps next time, before you post such an unwarranted posting, you should review the help documents and other forum postings.  Lastly, I have recommended Media Center to about 40 different people, all of whom purchased the product after trying it.  Of those people, about 50% are complete computer morons who can barely move a mouse and keep their eyes focused on the monitor at the same time.  NONE of these people required any assistance setting up Media Center and importing their media files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up