INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSA/ASS subtitle support  (Read 1577 times)

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
SSA/ASS subtitle support
« on: February 22, 2019, 09:00:10 am »

Please relook at your SSA/ASS subtitle implementation. I know they have stopped developing spec for this … and there are several forks that keep adding new specification to the format.

Don't need to support all those forks. Just support last official spec … https://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/ssa.html

This is the only area in my opinion that put MC far behind other media players.

I know this is niche … for ppl that watch anime … many of those anime never see translation … and only way to watch them is to download separate subtitles … unfortunately, anime community went with SSA/ASS format … and looks to stay that way

only way to watch these for me atm … MPC-HC or Plex … I really want to enjoy all my media on MC ... so please relook at your implementation of SSA/ASS specs

PS. I know it is not simple request and require quite an effort … but at least once its done properly, you don't need to return to it again … and can claim full SSA/ASS support
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

RD James

Re: SSA/ASS subtitle support
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:57:16 am »

+1

NNTK

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 05:47:35 am »

+1

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 05:14:40 am »

One of the problem with SSA/ASS subtitles on MC, is simultaneous display of several subtitles at the same time … which anime subbers like to use a lot

For example ... first text appear with correct format ... then second text appear and causes size and position of first text to change ... as text appear and dissapear, they cause whatever text on screen to change size and position

I thought this was limited to SSA/ASS ... but watched my Inglourious Basterds BD rip today with PGS subtitles ... and problem exist with PGS subtitles too ... at beginning

"chapter one" appear
then "once upon a time ..." appear ... in MC this causes position and size change of "chapter one" text
then "in Nazi occupied France" appear ... in MC this causes position and size change of "chapter one" text again and "once upon a time ..." size and position change too

this does not happen in MPC-HC

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 05:22:31 am »

PGS subtitles use absolute positioning. This would only ever occur if you use position overrides that ignore the PGS positions, like moving the subtitles to the black bars with madVR, or something like that. These features cannot avoid moving existing subtitles, since they don't know the future.
Or, of course, if the PGS subtitles instruct the old one to move.

Regarding the OP, we're discussing improving SSA/ASS support.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 07:08:12 am »

Regarding the OP, we're discussing improving SSA/ASS support.
Thank you very much for that great news … going to preorder MC25 just on chance of this happening :)

PGS subtitles use absolute positioning. This would only ever occur if you use position overrides that ignore the PGS positions, like moving the subtitles to the black bars with madVR, or something like that. These features cannot avoid moving existing subtitles, since they don't know the future.
Or, of course, if the PGS subtitles instruct the old one to move.
I reread what I posted … and found amazed at what I wrote … normally PGS allows only one item to be displayed at a time (my post implied that there were several things displayed at same time … which SSA/ASS can do … but PGS cannot)

I rechecked all setting ... and alignement of PGS subtitle was due to my setting of subtitle size to 75% ... setting to 100% eliminated PGS subtitle alignment i was experiencing (thank you for pointing me in the right direction)

Pages: [1]   Go Up