INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QNAP TS-251B-4G-US and JRiver Media Center 24 (future versions) Master License  (Read 1713 times)

wellywu

• World Citizen

Ok. This is not exactly what you think, but please continue reading this thread.

I own JRiver Media Center 24 64 bit Master License and I pre-ordered version 25 Master License. I placed my Amazon order for a new QNAP TS-251B-4G-US and two Seagate Ironwolf Pro 2TB 7200 RPM 128 MB Cache NAS HDDs. My Amazon package should be delivered this weekend.

I did some research and I found out that the administrators and moderators here do not recommend installing JRiver Media Center on QNAP any longer for technical reasons. Too many things change too often and stuff breaks.

Here is my fairly simple question. Once I follow the instructions to populate my QNAP NAS with 16GB of DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM and the two Seagate Ironwolf Pro NAS HDDs, is it possible within JRiver Media Center 24 and 25 64 bit Master License to pinpoint the exact location of my QNAP NAS so I can import, manage, organize and play my premium content off of the QNAP NAS both at home and when I travel abroad? In other words, are there features within JRiver that will allow me to identify and add the QNAP IP address, subnet mask, DNS server, etc. so I can essentially use it as a cloud storage drive while running local copies of JRiver Media Center Master License on each Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC both at home and when I travel abroad? Or, do I have to rely on the community leaders here and my extensive GNU/Linux hacking skills to install and license older JRiver Media Center build versions to install it using the QNAP HD Station software package in order to be able to use it as a dedicated media server locally and remotely?

If you get the drift of my line of questioning, then please tell me what else I need to know to make this just work automagically. Thank you.

wellywu

• World Citizen

I did more research late tonight while drinking Eight O' Clock 100% Colombian Peaks black coffee. It looks like I am going to have to use the QNAP Virtual Machine app to install Ubuntu 18.04.2 64 bit LTS and then set it up with 2GB of DDR3 RAM. Once that is done, I have to log into the Ubuntu guest virtual machine and install the latest JRiver Media Center 24 64 bit Master License private package archive and license it. From there, I should be able to use JRiver Media Center 24 64 bit normally and I can configure the QNAP virtual machine manager app so it runs 24/7/365 while keeping this guest virtual machine up to date periodically in hopes that nothing is going to break. This should allow me to upgrade to JRiver Media Center 25 (or future versions that I will pay for) 64 bit Master License and configure the Media Server feature so it will work in conjunction with my Verizon FiOS Quantum Advanced Gateway Router and VPNSecure.Me if necessary or if I choose to utilize the QNAP SSL feature.

At least, in theory. The devil is in the details. I am a GNU/Linux veteran. In fact, I am downloading Ubuntu 18.04.2 64 bit LTS .ISO file right now.

I am going to continue posting to my thread here and I welcome others to join if they so desire on my adventures as such. If I can get this to work, then it will be sweet because I would like to use my new QNAP NAS to function as my private cloud and media server at home and for devices when I travel. The essential third-party software products that I already paid for will be installed, configured and set up on my QNAP NAS so I can access these apps at home or when I travel.

Looks like I will be busy this weekend. I expect significant to severe technical issues when venturing into an Ubuntu guest virtual machine just to install, license and use JRiver Media Center 24 64 bit Master License to function as my media server on my QNAP NAS. This should be interesting. Hopefully, future technical posts and research within my thread will be helpful and useful for others within this community or throughout the World Wide Web.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Install MC on a Windows server machine that remains located at your home. Setup the Qnap as a file share. And have MC’s library point to that share. Open port forwarding on your router to direct port 52199 to the Windows machine where MC is running.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy

Or rather than the QNAP virtual machine app use QNAP Container Station and make use of the Docker image of MC24. Very little setup required and much lighter on resources.

I have this running on my QNAP TS453-mini and can hit my MC24 instance from anywhere.

On my phone otherwise I would give you the link, but search for Docker in these forums for setup.

astromo

• MC Beta Team

What AndrewFG said.

However, if you're dead set keen to run MC on your Qnap, then you could scope out a docker container or VM. There are a number of ways to skin the cat but I'd expect AndrewFG's suggestion is the minimum hassle plan.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

wellywu

• World Citizen

Please forgive me for rambling a bit in this follow up post and continue to read it in its entirety even if it is a bit long.

I spoke with my roommate and two close friends and I made my decision. Let me explain. I own an AVA Direct gaming desktop PC with AMD Ryzen 1600X, 32GB DDR4 2,666 MHz quad-channel RAM, ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero x370 AM4 motherboard, ASUS ROG STRIX AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 GPU, Intel 6000p 512GB PCI-e NVMe TLC SSD, dual WD Black 1TB HDDs in hardware RAID-0 and a single WD Black 6TB HDD. I also own a Huawei Matebook X Pro and an ASUS ROG STRIX GL702ZC laptop and gaming notebook PC respectively. Plus I got a LG V20 H910a smartphone, ZTE smartphone, Onkyo DP-X1A DAP, Lenovo Tab2 tablet running various Google Android versions.

To the point here. I am running JRiver Media Center 24.0.75 64 bit on my three Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1809 PCs right now and I pre-ordered version 25 master licenses. My AVA Direct functions as my media servers for JRiver and Plex. I got it configured just right with my Verizon FiOS Quantum Advanced Gateway Router and VPNSecure.Me with network port forwarding rules so I have access to both media servers at home or when I travel. I tested it with Google Android and Windows 10 Pro devices at home and at local coffee shops and public libraries. I pay for Plex Pass monthly and I got the Roku Plex Media Player app working perfectly on my two Roku HDTVs at home. Not all of my premium content will play depending on where I acquired each file, but the overwhelming majority of that content will play and stream just fine.

Why mess up a good thing?

I plan to use my QNAP NAS as a private cloud without using it as a dual media server as well. Just a private cloud for me. Keep it simple stupid. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

Solved!

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy

Absolutely, if you have a dedicated high end PC that you can use don't bother with the QNAP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up