INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Freezes and Crashes  (Read 1611 times)

PhDSM

• World Citizen
MC Freezes and Crashes
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:42:44 am »

Hello
I'm long time user of MC, and I find it great.
However I have intermittent problems since 1-2 years that arrive more and more frequently

On one side, now about everyday MC is locked (no respond need to be aborted).
Its occurs in relation either with DLNA device  or when I access it from Android Gizmo (on LAN) after several hours on "no activity".
After been aborted and restarted, it works ok  until next day or next long non-usage.

On the other side, it occurs regularly now that while I'm editing items info (track name, composer, Playlist or whatever) it crashes without any message. After restart again every works ok during a few days.

At also the opportunity for a suggestion, I use MC to organize Video from from  classic concert for example, and I noticed that the Composer filed is not available for video, as some other "audio" fields, as more and more music is now available on video form, is there a way to release theses fields for tagging videos ?

Thanks and Best Regards

Philippe

MY configuration
MC 24.0.75 (64 bit)
Windows 10   -1809
Intel CoreŽ i5- 6500
Motherboard Asus H170M-PLUS
Connected to Audio Video Amplifier Yamaha RX-V367 then UHD TV

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Crash and lock up
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:45:53 am »

Is it a freeze (MC unresponsive)?  Or a crash (MC disappears)?  Or both?

Antivirus can do things like this.  Have you configured Windows Defender?  Are you running anything else?

Are the files local?

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:42:26 am »

When the problem occurs during item edit (either rename on tree or in tagging windows, it crashes  (MC disappears). then I redo the  same edit afterwards and it is ok, I didn't find any "logic"in it.
For info I have a big DB (Over 90,000 items) and the database has been thru all update conversion since MediaJukebox)

When the problem occurs during Gizmo access of DLNA play, it is a freeze (MC unresponsive).

I use Windows Defender with default settings.

All files are local on 3 differents Hard Drives (1 SSD for MC application and database (C:),  1HDD for music & photos and 1 HDD for videos)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 01:44:54 pm »

JimH

• Administrator
Re: MC Freezes and Crashes
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 01:47:33 pm »

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 01:00:09 am »

Thanks Jim for the indications, I will investigate that way, and let you know in a few days.

BTW, about releasing "composer" field for tagging Video (music, opera, concert) , is there a way to do it myself  ?
It is the same issue for almost all Audio Only fields (Orchestra, conductor soloist...), so far I had to recreate custom fields which is a shame as fields already exist for audio

All the best

Phil

PhDSM

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 09:54:10 am »

Hi,

I did the adjusment of Windows Defender as mentionned in Taming Windows Defender on Windows 10 for JRiver Media Center, and it didn't change anything regarding the freeze when access from Gizmo, or when playing to  DLNA renderer.
Regarding crashes I didn't get any, however I didn't do to much tag edit. let see during my next editing session.
So far,  How can I investigate further the freeze, It is quite annoying as it occurs 1 or 2 time a day,
How to track Gizmo access or DLNA trafic to check if it comes from it ?
Regards

Phil

swiv3d

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 03:06:25 pm »

You could set up logging Help>Logging and set it to 5MB size and then when it freezes/crashes you can investigate what is happening in the logs - or upload them and hope someone else is available to take a look. (Remember the 5MB limit otherwise the file will grow to huge proportions.)

Have a read of this first
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

CWillCalho

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 05:59:10 am »

I just purchased a Marantz DAC1 and I find MC freezes when I change the output settings within JRiver (DSD to 24/anything).  It would be great if you could just play the music without having to change the output settings when switching from DSD to, for example, 24/192 files.  Automatic output...

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 01:07:07 pm »

long access to files sometimes indicate problem with HDD (as its nearly dead ... really hope its not what you experiencing) ... i use CrystalDiskInfo to monitor HDD on my desktop ... it reports SMART statistics that can indicate HDD is close to dying and need replacement before it dies on you

My NAS is on FreeNAS that has its own HDD health monitoring tools
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up