INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the best/easiest way to receive LiveTV with HTPC and JRiver installed  (Read 1040 times)

HTPC-Freak

• Recent member

Hi there,
I am using MC23 (upgrade to MC25 planned) on a Windows PC here in Belgium

In the past I used MC23 only for music and not for LiveTV (or even for Video)
Now I want also LiveTV to be controlled from my Android-tablet (Gizmo-App) with JRiver MC23...25

TV reception will be via Satellite dish.
What kind of Satellite receiver should I buy for best integration with MC23 (soon MC25). Is a DVB-S2 computer card best ? Or should I buy an external USB-connected type of receiver ?!

I want to choose the channels of LiveTV via Gizmo on my tablet. The signal output (HDMI) of the TV receiver (Computer DVB-S2 card or anything else) will then be connected with the signal input of the TV-set.

Can you recommend a specific  PC-card for true HD TV-reception, which works with MC23...25 software?

How about streaming the LiveTV content via my network - how to control the receiver on the Home Medianetwork from JRiver ?

Or is there a better way than the computer-internal TV-card ?
I am afraid, that any external SAT-receiver unit cannot be controlled via Gizmo remote app ... is this true ?

What kind of Sat-receiver do I need to watch LiveTV with full control from a remote app compatible with MC23...25

Many thanks for advice!

Ulli (in Belgium)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!

I hope some European users will be able to give you some specific advises on tuners.

Here are some general ideas:

Either an USB device or an internal card for DVB-S2 will be fine.  Go with a device that has multiple tuners.

The DVB-S/S2 support in MC does not include digital rights protected channels.  For those channels you can use a set-top-box that can decode such protection coupled with a video capture device on the computer.

Some people use Sat>IP devices.  MC supports channels streamed by Sat>IP servers.

You can stream live TV on your local network.  Put the tuners on the Library Server.  All MC clients can get live channels (limited only by how many tuners do you have on the server, and how good your network is).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

HTPC-Freak

• Recent member

Many thanks for general advice - very useful.
I will check, what types of products are being offered  here in Europe at the moment and just order one to start with.

Ulli
Pages: [1]   Go Up